• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Would people apply for trainee if there were no rank for it?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Dan1el, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Hey everyone. Have you ever been asking yourself this question? Would people apply for trainee even though you would not get any ranks, any attention, and no one would know that you were a staff member expect you and the recruiters? I think this is an interesting question. Do people apply for the tag and all the fame? Or, do they apply because they truly want to help the community differently than before?

If you ask this question, many people would say: Yes! Of course, I would apply for trainee even though there was no tag to it! But would they really? It would be interesting to test this out, don't you think? How many would apply for trainee daily if this was implemented? And by the way, I am not saying that every staff member was only applying for the tag because there are so many great staff members on the network, and I think that the recruiters do a great job to hire trainees. But what I'd like to see, is would it be that many applicants if there were no tag, nor attention, nor announcements, nor any fame to it at all?

What do you guys think? And as I stated, this is not meant to say that any staff members were only applying for the tag, but it's just to bring the though out into discussion. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys think!

EDIT : This is not an idea, but just a question to see different views on this.

Also, I hope you guys will have a great Weekend! :)

Posted Jan 24, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 25, 2020
    Fallen™, Wiz_Techno, Task and 5 others like this.
  2. If you think about it, those who help and contribute towards the community without the Trainee rank are basically just Trainee's, without a tag. The only separation from helpful community members and Trainee's are the added responsibility that Trainee's have to handle and their tags.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe I would genuinely apply even if there was no attention-grabbing tag as I actually enjoy helping users and making people's day better. I also enjoy playing on Mineplex as a whole. For other people, I obviously don't know but I feel like those who are older and maybe more mature wouldn't care about the tags as much either.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    Fallen™, Dillionia and Dan1el like this.
  3. That's lovely to hear! But do you think that the amount of applicants would increase or decrease?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 24, 2020
  4. So people only apply for the tag? I mean, they kind of have to have the tag because that way people know they are dealing with staff members.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  5. I feel like this is an interesting concept. On bedrock not having a mod or trainee tag, it would actually make the job a little easier and not really effect it on bedrock in my opinion. People on bedrock only acknowledge mods 10% of the time and usually running from being caught hacking. I can't really speak for java, but personally I feel like it might be the same. Applications I think would probably stay the same because people are usually trainees for the work, not necessarily the rank.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    Virus Brian and FluteVegetables like this.
  6. Hey!

The honest answer is no. This is the question pertaining to whether the same amount of people would still apply for Trainee if there were no perks involved, obviously not my own view. There are always going to be a minority within the applicants that are applying for the benefits, rather than their own personal desires to provide the best customer support they can to players. However, we can be grateful for the fact that the recruitment team notice this almost straight away and this group of people generally do not pass the application stage.

I speak for many others when I say that the perks of the rank are not what fuels my passion as an aspiring member of the staff team, but rather the idea of giving something back to the community after so many years they have contributed towards my life and shaping me as a person. To touch base with the facts, though, there aren't actually many additional perks of the Trainee rank itself that can be exploited for your own benefit. Still, though, this is not common knowledge to some people and the point I am trying to get across is that there would definitely be fewer applicants if none existed. The words "staff" and "permissions" jump out at some people and that's all they need!

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    ScarletBlood37 likes this.
  7. Hey!

Personally, I think I’d still apply without the tag. I don’t believe that being a Trainee is about the tag at all. It’s more about how you help people out and fulfill your duty as a staff member. If you were a true staff member, you wouldn’t care about the tag or the fame. I don’t think I would. I’d really just like to become a Trainee so that I could help people out and make the community a better place. I’ve never really been into the Trainee thing for fame.

As a whole, I think people would still apply even though they didn’t have a tag. It may decrease the amount of people applying, since a lot of people do want the fame. Which is sad. But overall I think a lot of people, including the current staff members would distill apply. There are still people that wouldn’t need the tag or fame.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  8. Well it's certainly not going to increase, it would probably decrease as the younger applicants mainly only want the tag, removing this would then remove their interests in becoming a staff member.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  9. I agree with this!^ Also take into consideration that trainees/mods/etc. are bound to rules and responsibilities (structure is a necessity), and the tags are a source of reimbursement for their hard work! Of course, they also want to help improve the community, which is another aspect of reward. Speaking to the above, there are also a number of community members who do what they can to improve the server regardless!

Naturally, I do think that without tags or recognition the numbers would fall, but not only because it’s all people care about. For sure, the tags and the recognition are a big part of motivation for many players to become staff members, but many of the people who pursue these ranks learn about the positions in the first place because they have seen great staff members in action (hence the “fame”, which also helps to advertise the position) and are inspired to help out too, forming the community of staff members: people who work together with the shared desire, dedication, energy and enthusiasm for improving the network.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  10. I feel like as a staff member, definitely not having a tag would be impractical. It would mean that you couldn't do your job as no one would recognize you like someone to ask for help first or someone to listen to in order to follow the rules.

Hypothetically speaking, I think there would be a reduction in applicants. What I would say is that I doubt the current staff team would change too much, purely because we are all certified through the application process - meaning we're more likely to be in it for the right reasons rather than the wrong reasons so to speak! But an interesting thread concept, I haven't seen anything like this before!!​

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  11. Interesting concept.
    I definitely think the number of applicants would decrease. I couldn’t really tell you by how much they would decrease, but there would definitely be a decline. Human nature causes people to crave new “things” (power, items, etc.) There’s no doubt in my mind that people apply for staff simply for the rank itself.
    That being said, I think the quality of our staff team would remain the same. Staff members who are accepted into the team, and stay for a while, have a clear passion for the community. I do feel as though a lot of of the current staff members would continue to be staff even if there weren’t any tags. And there are many community members that have that same passion as well.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  12. The recruiters have a very thorough process for deciding who gets accepted so they are able to decline the people who apply strictly for the tag so for that reason I don't see a need for this idea to be added. However, community members can do many of the duties of a trainee without applying such as helping out community members so this idea does technically exist already. I do think many would still apply if there was no rank.

Posted Jan 24, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 24, 2020
  13. To answer your question directly, some would and some wouldn't. I'm sure everyone agrees that people don't have the same morals or process of thought when applying for trainee. An example I can give is that if you buy a really expensive car, but no one recognised it/you didn't have bragging rights, would you buy it? People appreciate cars and have a genuine interest, so I think it would be the same with trainee. Will the amount of applicants decrease? Probably. I'm sure the recruiters know when people aren't on it for the right reasons, and people are already being denied because of that. If you just removed them from the bigger picture by not getting tags/perms, then it is very likely.

There's a lot more than what it seems when being a staff member, and people who even get accepted just for the tag/rank or perms, will realise that, and probably won't last long.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    Im_Ken, Dan1el, Ender Rivka and 2 others like this.
  14. I think like some people have said above. This can be seen as a fairly general statement, as every staff member is different and has various reasons for applying. The somewhat 'basic' reasons for joining the staff team usually are wanting to enforce the rules, interact with the community and help Mineplex become more enjoyable. I like what @Oscaros_ said about the practicality of the tags, if we didn't have them, we wouldn't be seen as someone to contact if in need of help. To add to this, I think having staff in lobbies and games acts as a deterrent in some cases, those with an account they play on a lot, on the whole, don't want to be punished for silly reasons, so they will refrain from getting themselves into trouble.

As for the idea of 'wanting the additional attention', it once again depends on the person. I don't think anyone on the team is here for the 'fame'. Some staff members prefer helping out in lobbies and being on the face of the staff team, while others prefer to process reports and help moderate in-games. We need both types of people for the team to run smoothly. If I used teams for an example, the events team help to keep our community engaged with the staff team and most definitely make the server more enjoyable. Whilst the Quality Assurance team work more behind the scenes to help fix issues that players experience on the server. I don't see it to be a matter of anyone's ego, simply their preference on how they like to help the server progress!

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    Im_Ken, Oscaros_, Glamourized and 2 others like this.
  15. I do think the amount of applicants would decrease. There are always some individuals who are in it for the fame, recognition, and tag. They are not hard to locate as they are classified as fake staff members. The second a staff enters the server, their attitude changes for the better, otherwise they devolve back into immaturity. Adding this feature would help ease up recruitment duties as those submitting applications are limited. One of the most heavily weighted observations Recruitment delves into is if aspiring trainees have the initiative to benefit the community without the staff tag. Only the genuine applicants will apply because they wholeheartedly want to help the server. Furthermore, staff members may get targeted less as their identity will be invisible. There are both pros and cons to these alterations. Onto the flip side, not having a tag makes it harder for staff to fulfill their duties. Since nobody recognizes that someone is staff, that is a missed opportunity to help, thus being the decisive factor. From what everyone else eyes, staff would just be treated like normal players, defeating the purpose of their role on the server.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Jan 24, 2020
  16. Oh for sure yes. You would see a dramatic decline in the amount of people applying for Trainee. You can literally prove this by using Map Testing as an example.

Before there was a forum tag we never saw nearly as many community members apply for MTT. But then suddenly it was announced that MTT would be getting a tag on the forums and you see a sudden spike in applications.

Now take this same real example and apply it to Trainee. You are going to see a lot less people applying because for a few cases, people only want the Rank. I'm not trying to be negative with my answer, but instead I'm trying to be as realistic and honest as possible. My opinion is that through factual evidence gathered from other sub-teams, I come to the conclusion that, yes, there will be a significant amount of fewer applications.

However this might not necessarily be a bad thing because this would weed out the less committed people applying and only have the top-tier most dedicated staff members on the team.

Posted Jan 24, 2020
    Glummes, saltyfishhy, BasicT and 4 others like this.
  17. Honestly, a pretty good amount of the people being accepted these days are Trainee Tryhards. Now I don't want to do another rant on this, but generally Trainee Tryhards want Trainee mostly for:
    • The attention, people will just like your profile and forum posts for no reason
    • The tag is cool in general, everyone sees you when you join a game and will try to to talk to you (related to the previous point)
    • Power. They wouldn't necessarily abuse it, but they feel empowered in the fact that they can punish people.
    • Perks, you can have all kits I believe and an assortment of other perks
    Actually even non Trainee Tryhards think this way, no offense to the human race but we're all pretty selfish people so I'm sure a lot of people think this way.

The first two perks are the best ones and you wouldn't really have those perks without the tag, nobody would know that you were even Trainee. The second two are nice, but I aren't as desirable as the previous ones so much less people will apply.

Obviously there are other problems that will arise if there is no tag, it would be a bit confusing for people if they got punished by a random person, but I know this is hypothetical so I won't go into this too much.

I've thought about this for a while now, and you know what, I wouldn't apply for Trainee if there wasn't the tag. I do actually have other reasons for applying besides the tag (I hope to get on RC to fix the rules), but I don't think I would want to spend 7 hours a week on the position if I didn't get the tag.

Posted Jan 25, 2020
    PhoenixSky, Jaek and FluteVegetables like this.
  18. 100% agree with this

Posted Jan 25, 2020
  19. I agree! And also, this is not an idea :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 25, 2020
  20. Interesting. But remember, when I said earlier :" Wouldn't it be interesting to test it out?" I didn't mean to actually test it out by removing the trainee rank. It's just a thought that I thought could be interesting to discuss.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 25, 2020