• 124 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1999 Players Online
  • 1875 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Would a beggar you see often be a scammer or actually homeless?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mudkip2021, Jan 24, 2022.

1. I see people begging for signs near cars often, and a long time ago a beggar with a mustache and bicycle insisted that i give him cash. i gave him cash just to make him go away. Given that I was walking to high school, I figured that the guy was a scammer but I suppose homeless people often target students more because they are desperate in need of money

Posted Jan 24, 2022
  2. While your generosity is admirable, people like that are often asking for cash for -snip- (or -snip-) money and not for anything important to their well-being. You're just supporting their bad habits. They likely are poor, but that doesn't mean they can't go out and get a real job, giving to them is almost encouraging them to be a bum. Don't feel any need to give to those people, it's not worth it. There are already welfare programs in place to help people like that, they don't need YOUR money.

But if you do want to support people like that, which is a fine idea, donate to trusted charities like Meals On Wheels or Feeding America that assure that money is going to the right place and the right people.

Posted Jan 24, 2022,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jan 24, 2022
    Paladise likes this.
  3. while I generally avoid donating, sometimes they just get aggressive.

and even when I don’t donate, other people do

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 24, 2022,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jan 24, 2022
  4. in canada for welfare, you must have a place to claim it, homeless? to bad get a place and that really sucks, for me i put it as my grandparents place to get mine cause i need money for a place but need a place for money as the governments puts it

Posted Jan 24, 2022
  5. Problem is some homeless people actually live on the street, others are beggars to use the money on -snip- or -snip- etc. So you should pose the question of what they are going to do with that money. After a football game somebody came up to me and my friends and asked for money and we asked him what he was going to do with it he said for a bus to see his family, so obviously we gave him loose change. Who knows what he did with the money but some people do find themselves in very difficult situations which I have sympathy for, so I would give change for the right reasons.

Interesting topic!

Posted Feb 5, 2022,
    Last edited by a Moderator Feb 7, 2022
  6. Buy a gift card for them. Not give them direct cash or they might buy -snip- (or anything else bad).

Posted Feb 5, 2022,
    Last edited by a Moderator Feb 5, 2022
  7. I usually buy less fortunate people food, or coffee (if it’s winter time in Canada). My family often also donates food or mittens :)

Posted Feb 5, 2022
    anna dot likes this.
  8. they could just sell the gift card for the destructive habits they want to buy

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 15, 2022
  9. I just dont give them money and instead buy them food or a coat if they need it. Might give them enough for a pay phone or one night at a hotel if its super cold. (Pay phone so they can find a shelter.)

Posted Mar 10, 2022
    affinity0 likes this.
  10. It's hard to tell and guessing is often not a great idea as it would be cruel to suggest they were a scammer if the person really was just desperate for money for food. It is good you were generous, even if you only did it to make sure they left you along, you may really have helped them.

As many people above have said, buying clothes or food and beverages is often a good option as this covers a lot of their basic needs and will likely be the very help they need in that moment. Depending on where I am will dictate what I buy, often it ends up being a McDonalds meal or subway as that is where the homeless generally reside in my city, but if I'm out of town I will usually go to the nearest coffee shop, especially in winter as that extra bit of warmth can go a long way. It can be frustrating to think your generosity may be going towards scammers, but in the very likely event that person really is homeless then I know I did the right thing anf more than makes up for the times I have been scammed.

Posted Mar 10, 2022
  11. If I ever see you begging, I shall remember this and purchase you a delicious McDonalds Mcjölnir Negev skin so that you may pass on the favour and feed down banana in style.

Posted Mar 10, 2022,
    Last edited Mar 10, 2022
    rejudge and affinity0 like this.
  12. I would give them a Bible Verse directing into John 3:16, Galatians 6:8 and Hope.

Posted Mar 12, 2022