• 1429 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9867 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why Mineplex doesn't allow typing other languages and emojis (and more)

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Envi0, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Hi y'all! I'm going to tell you the exact reason why Mineplex doesn't allow non-Latin languages and emojis (and I'll teach you more stuff along the way).

If a moderator thinks this is not in the right forum, just move it somewhere else.

How computers process letters, and how they work with filters
    If you want to type something, you press a button on your keyboard, and that letter pops up on your screen. Simple, right? You’ve been told that in first grade. You can click on FILE > SAVE to store it. That gives the illusion that computers store data on a piece of paper, in letter form. And that’s not true. What they actually do is encode these letters into binary numbers, and then when they need to be read, they get converted back into letters on your screen. For example, an “A” character is 01000001 to a computer.

And in order to type in multiple languages, the world has settled on a standard called “Unicode”. It includes every language ever, even non-Latin ones such as Serbian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, you name it. It also includes emojis. Now, here’s a thing.

If you type in the letter S in Serbian (U+0421), it looks exactly like an English C (01000011). Now, when you’re filtering swear words out on hand written documents, it’s not a problem. But, to a computer, they’re really different! And filters which are built to block out swear words in English, will think that a swear word using a Cyrillic letter instead of a Latin one, is just a completely different word. Now, Mineplex could build a filter to block out words like these, but that takes up too much time, and blocking certain characters would also mean that completely fine words in other languages will be blocked. So, that’s why Mineplex blocked all of Unicode.

How to use emojis and other languages on Mineplex

Forums
    On the forums, languages are not a problem. Just start typing and it’ll work. To use an emoji, just screenshot it and attach and image into the post.

Minecraft server
    On java, there really is no way of using other languages. You could try writing them in Latin (which is really easy in Serbian and kinda hard in Russian), or you could try chatting elsewhere. Just remember, that the server will never have a way of putting foreign languages into chat.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
    Sakeusi, Yato, cerns and 1 other person like this.
  2. I cant see anyone talk in chat and no one see's my chat...

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  3. As far as I know Mineplex allows typing in other languages they only don't recognize some of the š, ć, č, đ...and some other letters and signs.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
    Envi0 likes this.
  4. In-game

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 19, 2019
  5. It is actually possible on another network and likely many more. I'm sure the reason Mineplex doesn't allow typing foreign characters to English is because the server is US-based.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  6. Thread moved to Server Discussion

From my experience, I never saw other players typing foreign characters. I'm pretty sure our server suppose to have our main language, English. Personally, I'd never tried out the unique codes in chat before. I mainly typed out all words in English all the time. Maybe some players who couldn't understand what they said in other languages.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  7. The post wasn't made as a suggestion btw, it was supposed to inform players.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  8. Server Discussion isn't an ideas forum though
    I've never tried talking in another language on mineplex, I gotta try it and see.

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  9. It can be. This thread doesn't really belong in that category either way..

Posted Aug 19, 2019
  10. I think it fits here. It is discussing the server, so it should be here

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 20, 2019
  11. I really do not see why non-Latin based alphabets wouldn't be allowed, that seems like a pretty pointless and unproductive rule.

Posted Aug 20, 2019
  12. I don't know if you read the post, since I explained why Unicode is disallowed.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 20, 2019
    Yato and cerns like this.
  13. Me and my friends speak japanese and it's really annoying to have to use discord instead of being able to talk ingame. (and i dont prefer to use the microphone) it would be awesome if someday they unblocked foreign languages.

Posted Aug 22, 2019
  14. Maybe the languages would be unblocked, but a filter would not be created, and you would be able to switch from the unfiltered version of chat with foreign languages to the one currently in place.

But that doesn't seem to happen soon, because Mineplex denied multiple ideas of being able to disable the filter (which is pretty bad imo, and some of my bug reports about the filter got denied for "Mojang controls the filter, we don't" - I was playing on java, that's probably just a mistake, but the mod resigned tho so i can't get more contact).

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 22, 2019