• 416 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5886 Players Online
  • 5470 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why isn’t eleven called “onety-one”?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ryan9116, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Thoughts?

Posted Nov 29, 2021
    dutty and Name Tag like this.
  2. Honestly this is a good question, The number 10 is not pronounced “onety” because we use a base-10 counting system. As for the numbers 11 and 12, we took them from Old High German for some reason, but they did in fact mean “one and ten” and “two and ten.” Ein-lif became 'eleven' in English, and zwe-lif became 'twelve.

Posted Nov 29, 2021
    Bobert2O13, Name Tag and Ryan9116 like this.
  3. 21 isnt twoty-one, its twenty one
    So really it should be tenty-one

Posted Nov 29, 2021
    Bobert2O13, Name Tag and Ryan9116 like this.
  4. Hmmmm

Posted Nov 29, 2021
    Ryan9116 and Name Tag like this.
  5. you have a good point, its "eleven" because its more useful for us to call it that way. was reading an article and it said " we created words for 11 and 12 a long time ago by calling them "one left after ten" and "two left after ten."

Posted Nov 30, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  6. I asked my mom the same thing once and she just gave me this strange look

Also I like saying "oneth" instad of first

"I'm in oneth place in Mario Kart"

Posted Dec 1, 2021
    Ryan9116 and Kindnessaj like this.
  7. There are probably a whole bunch of reasons, but I guess it could've also been called something like one teen or firsteen or something, but when you hear it it sounds pretty strange, right? Now obviously I don't know why it became that or why it isn't onety one but I do know that a lot of english words were created out of convenience and what's easy to say, thus I'm sure onety one is a bit harder and doesn't roll as much as eleven. Or, maybe twelve isn't as good as ten-two or any similarity. Each word has its own origin and reason but my best guess is convenience, now if we wanted to change that though we could. Simply put, language is always evolving, so who knows, maybe you can make onety-one famous by having your friends call it that and then let it spread, :P

Posted Dec 1, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  8. It probably sounds strange because we all do used to it being eleven. If it was oneteen from the start, it probably wouldn’t sound so strange. The question here is why did they initially pick eleven instead of oneteen

Posted Dec 1, 2021
    Kindnessaj and Ryan9116 like this.
  9. Or, why isn't fourteen tenty-four

Posted Dec 1, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  10. Hmm weird, I never thought of this

Language is weird man

Posted Dec 1, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  11. That sounds weird

Posted Dec 6, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  12. This whole discussion is weird lol

Posted Dec 7, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  13. I don't know what you guys are talking about it is called one one.

Posted Dec 7, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  14. Someone started using eleven instead of onety-one, and since it sounded so much better everyone followed. In short, the power of memes turned onety-one into eleven.

Posted Dec 11, 2021
    Ryan9116 likes this.
  15. I am so glad you asked this question as I can now relate to my one further maths lesson where we were having this debate.
    So, the word ‘eleven’ comes from old English ‘elleovene’, a combination of ‘elleo’, meaning one, and ‘-vene’, meaning leftover from 10. So, one leftover 10 is 11. With the number 12 following the same pattern. 11-12 have different names compared to 13-19 (rather than one teen and two teen) due to mathematicians using these two numbers more than the rest, so slowly introduced this contrasting method to distinguish them from 13-19.
    The "-teen" suffix is essentially saying "...more than ten". So 13 is "three more than ten".
    So, the reason numbers 10–19 do not follow the same pattern as 20–29 has to do with their endings or suffix.
    I hope if my teacher saw this now they would be proud

Posted Dec 11, 2021
  16. This just gives me a headache... math.

Posted Dec 12, 2021
    Nepchunex likes this.
  17. Hi...

Lowkey when I was younger I thought "eleven" was "eleventeen" for some odd reason... It took me a while to realize that it in fact was NOT "eleventeen." For some reason, my elementary teachers just went along with it and never corrected me, so when I got to like fourth or fifth grade that's when I realized.

Posted Dec 13, 2021
  18. Well, you see, the real reason is

Posted Dec 13, 2021
    dutty likes this.
  19. Facts

Posted Dec 13, 2021
  20. Where is my English teacher at when you need them?

Posted Dec 13, 2021