• 2023 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6078 Players Online
  • 4055 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why is the server still 1.8?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by PieCreeper, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:58 AM.

1. Mineplex lets you join with versions 1.8 to 1.14. However, because it allows you to join with 1.8, a very old version, you cannot use anything added in 1.9+. In the game, Master Builders, players cannot place any of the newer blocks because of Mineplex using 1.8. I am confused on why Mineplex is using a version from 5 years ago. I believe it is time to update.

Posted Jun 13, 2019 at 2:58 AM
  2. Believe it or not, a good chunk of the player count still uses 1.8 as it's the preferred version before the combat changes.

So it's not because they don't want to, it's cause they can't. It would also require a pretty big revamp of some of the plugins as they're dependent on 1.8.

Posted Jun 13, 2019 at 3:05 AM
    xJon, 1k9, PapiKirito and 2 others like this.
  3. Unfortunately, because of the infamous pvp updates related to versions 1.9+, Mineplex cannot update yet. The majority of the community prefers original pvp mechanics and other small details in 1.8. I'm sure everyone would love to fully update to a newer version as it would allow for new game mechanics, features, content, etc. but we can't until there's a stable minecraft version with a pvp style that all can enjoy.

Posted Jun 13, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    neropatti likes this.
  4. Hey there!
    As ToonBasic stated, many players tend to enjoy using 1.8. I personally find 1.8 to one of the most enjoyable versions there were but recently I've moved onto using 1.12. Many players still find the combat efficiency in 1.8 to be much more better and simpler and I insntantly noticed that shift in player combat. Minecraft servers are known to run pretty much 1.8+ since not only does it target player base but it also targets many players looking for an opportunity to use their mods which look better or act better. Or simply because their PC runs better with 1.8. There are a lot of reasons people stick to 1.8 and I think it's good that Mineplex does keep an open mind for people who aren't as interested in updating.

Posted Jun 13, 2019 at 4:39 AM
  5. To just add to the broken record feel of everything we're saying, majority of players play 1.8, Mineplex will likely never update if pre 1.9 pvp is never brought back!

Posted Jun 13, 2019 at 6:15 AM
  6. Hey!

Believe it or not, half of the Minecraft community is still using 1.8. This is because of the change to the pvp. Players have often gotten used to the 1.8 style and is unlikely to change. I appreciate your suggestion though!

Have a good rest of your day/night!

Posted Jun 13, 2019 at 6:37 AM
  7. I personally disagree considering the only version I use is 1.8. Although for the people who use other versions of Minecraft I do see where you’re coming from. If you would like to see it I recommend making a poll and posting it trying to get your idea!

Posted Jun 14, 2019 at 4:14 PM
  8. The choice to stay on 1.8 is merely a development decision and does not have to do with combat. Many/All PvP changes in 1.9+ can be removed through plugins. As ToonBasic mentioned, updating the server would mean a lot of changes to the code base of Mineplex, which is unnecessary if everything is working fine now.

Posted Jun 14, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    FrostbiteXD likes this.
  9. Majority of people (as far as I know) play 1.8.9 because of the PVP, as in 1.9 the PVP has that cooldown in it. All servers across Minecraft are 1.8-1.14.

Posted Jun 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM
  10. Heya!

As said by others, many players still prefer 1.8 PvP mechanics, myself included. I understand how certain things can be irritating such as not being able to use newer blocks in Master Builders as well as other things, however, I do not believe the server will be moving to 1.9+ any time soon due to the high amounts of players that still use 1.8.

Have a great day!

Posted Jun 14, 2019 at 5:19 PM
  11. Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure this was answered two years ago at an Owner/Admin QnA on the Mineplex Twitch.

Of course, moving to newer versions of the game would unlock so many features which would help the server stand out among the competition. There would be new mechanics like the levitation potion or the elytra and of course, all the new blocks come with that.

The issue is with the number of people using those versions to see if it would be worth dropping 1.8 support. Back then (this is the don't quote me part) I am pretty certain that they said around 65% of players were using a client that was 1.9 or above, even though this is the majority it is still too low of a percentage and they want to wait until that number is pretty much 100% for obvious reasons.

In today's age, that number could have changed, with the release of 1.12 Labymod the number could have shifted more in the newer versions favor but with the Badlion client, that number could have shaken up again.

To sum up the situation, swapping to the higher versions of Minecraft is not out of the question or at least it wasn't a few years ago. It just depends on the players.

Posted Jun 15, 2019 at 11:27 PM