• 297 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1573 Players Online
  • 1276 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why is Necro Posting against the Rules? (Just curious)

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by cupojoedgfndiditlydobgdf, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm just curious to know, why is Necro Posting is against the rules? What's wrong with posting on old threads? Is it because if they're older, they're weaker?

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  2. Could possibly have irrelevant topics/ideas. But if you have something to add to the thread, you’re allowed to reply without being warned.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  3. I would think because those topics questions have most likely been resolved and if there was an argument over the old topic in which was resolved they staff members don't want to have it start back up. That is all that I can really think about.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  4. In the rules it states that “If you are just commenting on how great it is, that is Necro posting,” meaning the old post. I believe that the mods just don’t want to have an old thread reinstated just because someone said a random thing, not even relevant to the topic. It may keep the forums neat, since old threads that were ignored enough to have a Necro warning probably wouldn’t need to be brought back up just to be ignored. Necro posting may also result in people post boosting, looking at old threads and Necro posting since most post boosters aren’t giving actual feedback. It may spam the forums.

This is my interpretation, but honestly if a thread was ignored that long and you want to add on, I’d make a new one with better points so that it’s better and worth paying attention to instead of leaving again. Since necro threads aren’t locked, it isn’t against the rules.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  5. Agreed, Acerna.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  6. Posting on old threads will “bump” them to the top of of the thread page. Most often, the thread topics will be irrelevant or already resolved. So having these threads be at the top of the thread page would serve no purpose. In the past, people abused the system and kept bumping their ideas to the top so they would get noticed. That’s why it has become punishable. I tend to focus on the newer threads so that there is no chance of punishment and so there is always something new to talk about every time I log onto the forums.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  7. So to my knowledge necro posting is okay if you have something fundamental to add, I've seen a few really old threads about server info like rank tags, perks, etc. To my knowledge these posts can be updated. Necro posting isn't allowed because it brings back old and irrelevant threads that no longer need an answer though those threads should have been locked by staff years ago.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  8. As Jadguar has mentioned above, the main reason why necro-posting is not allowed is because it will essentially bump the thread up to the most recent.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  9. true

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 19, 2019
  10. If a thread hasn't been written on within a week its considered Necro Posting. The reason for it is because the forums doesn't want an old topic being brought back up again because it is unneccessary and it will be brought back to the top of the list, not letting new topics having that position.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  11. Just to clarify, it's 30 days - refer to https://www.mineplex.com/rules.

(& the reason why has already been said multiple times above - they're all (basically) correct).

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  12. Sorry! It use to be 7 days, also I was just adding to the conversation, I'm allowed.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  13. The reason why necro-post is against the rules because the thread has not been replied for 30+ days which it is an "older" discussion. However, there is an exception that you may able to necro-post if you are contributing more to your suggestions and idea. Keep in mind that saying how great the thread still counts as necro-post. The only exception that you can allow in any thread sections will be stickied, announcements, help, giveaway, guide, and recruitment thread.

I will lock this thread as the questions have been answered. If you have any questions regarding the forum rules, feel free to PM me. :)

Thread locked > Questions and concerns have been answered

Posted Apr 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.