• 3376 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11301 Players Online
  • 7925 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why is GAY a Bad Word??? (P.S. Why is HO allowed???)

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by TheBadPlace, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I have been a player of Mineplex for many years now and have always wondered why gay is a bad word? I personally find it outrageous how it is a banned word along with bi***ual, while on the contrary you can say straight. I feel like this is very homophobic and gay shouldn't be a so called "banned word". Honestly if you consider GAY and insult I would like to inform you that it is a way to express ones ***uality and there is no reason why it should put anybody down. I feel like this needs to change. I would also like to point out how you can say Ho but not Gay? This is very strange to me and if you are going to ban players because of the usage of the word ho, you should move it under the banned words. Thank you for your time, please consider what I have pointed out.
    --- Post updated ---
    I would also like to add that LGBTQ is also a BANNED WORD! This is getting very ridiculous Mineplex!

Posted May 25, 2019
  2. It seems that in the rules it is stated that those words are censored in order to protect people of the LGBTQ community. Mineplex is certainly a very welcoming and diverse place, but there are certain measures that need to be implemented in order to protect certain groups of players.
    The discrimination rule states that "You may not discriminate against anyone or any groups for their religion, race, gender, political viewpoint and more." The word "gay" in this case, can be used against people of different orientations as a derogatory term, in order to put them down. Censorship of that word isn't meant to silence certain LGBT players, but rather protect them from verbal harm.

Straight from www.mineplex.com/rules: "Some LGBQT+ words are filtered, we are not anti-LGBQT+, however, we have done this to 1. Protect those people from harassment/abusive behavior, and 2. Prevent the discussion of these themes within the server where the main audience is children."

Edit: Changed some of the phrasings in the post in order to make it clearer.

Posted May 25, 2019
  3. I would also like to add that LGBTQ is also a BANNED WORD! This is getting very ridiculous
    I understand why...but on the contrary I still believe that it is unnecessary to have these words banned. I've played on many other servers that allow the use of these words, and not once have I seen the words be used in a derogatory manner. On the other hand, I feel like Ho is a derogatory word and should be banned.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 25, 2019
  4. Well, let's discuss why you'd want to use that word in the first place. Players come to Mineplex mostly in order to play games. Of course, there are more private moments that you might share with friends in your private messages, but it's simply easier to have the word censored than giving people the ability to use it (which may cause harm). This makes it easier on moderators but also allows players who might identify as LGBTQ to feel safer. I certainly do.
    Keep in mind that, as stated, this is a Minecraft server. Mineplex does understand the fact that the LGBTQ community is very prominent, but they also have a target audience that, at that age, will most likely not have had much exposure to those topics (likely not covered in school yet either) - therefore there not being much need for those words in the first place.

Now, as for "Ho". English has many words which have multiple meanings. "Ho" is a slang. Keep in mind that there are other abbreviations for this word and that the word "Hoe" refers to a Minecraft tool. (I'm really trying not to say anything that could get me muted right now...)
    In short, yes, that is a bad word, but it depends on the context. Keep in mind people could misspell "Hi" for "Ho" and have it censored which is somewhat annoying, and that "Ho" is also not the complete/correct spelling for the word you refer to, which is why it could be that the RC hasn't had it censored (or they just didn't know about it).

Posted May 25, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  5. Greetings!

The Mineplex Network presents itself as a gaming-first community suitable for all players, regardless of age, political/religious beliefs, or orientation. Our network's Rules Committee has decided to prohibit LGBTQ+ discussions because they aren't relevant to the topic at hand-- Mineplex, Minecraft, etc.-- and leaving them open despite this would only invite commentary that isn't appropriate or respectful. In no way does this decision insinuate that Mineplex or its Leadership and Administration are anti-LGBT, rather, that the network is being proactive in preventing any and all issues related to this topic, and we don't believe there are are any in-game appropriate scenarios in which discussing these topics or using these words is necessary. If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns about our network's stance on LGBT matters, please don't hesitate to DM me or any of my staff colleagues.

Additionally, if you have any concerns about a word that you believe should be added to our in-game chat filter, I would highly encourage you to contact a member of our Rules Committee.

Posted May 25, 2019
    xOeuf likes this.
  6. I think this is clearly discrimination banning the word "gay"

Posted May 25, 2019
  7. Mineplex has made the concious decision to prohibit the discussion of any LGBT topics due to concerns pertinent to the community and the game. If you believe this decision was unwise or unwarranted, I recommend you speak with a member of our rules committee.

Posted May 25, 2019
    xOeuf likes this.
  8. Ok, well for a starter, "gay" isn't really a bad word and my foster mum's brother, Philip is gay. That also means happy as well

Posted May 25, 2019
  9. I would like to emphasize once again that Mineplex, nor any of it's staff members, have vocalized an anti-LGBT stance or have taken part in anti-LGBT practices. These phrases aren't being filtered for vulgarity or profanity reasons, rather, they are being filtered out of an interest for our network's community and games.

Once again, if you disagree with this decision, please contact a member of the rules committee. Alternatively, I would he happy to discuss this further in a DM.

Posted May 25, 2019
  10. Ok, I will

Posted May 25, 2019
  11. It does mean happy, but that's much lesser known, and also doesn't take away from it's more commonly used iteration. I'm bi. I have no problem with this. There's no harm in censoring a word that could cause problems. The word "Gay" is still used to offend people, especially within the gaming community (throwback to COD), and it's better to just keep it this way. As aforementioned, there's not too much need to be discussing such personal things on a Minecraft server, when you can just as easily do it on discord or literally anywhere else.
    The underlying reason, as @ClqssyOwl mentioned, is that Mineplex wants to protect people from the LGBTQ community, and it is clearly stated that their intention is not malicious.

Posted May 25, 2019
    xJon, ClqssyOwl and MudkipLover2005 like this.
  12. Hey,

It would seem that @ClqssyOwl has addressed your concern fully. If you have an remaining questions please feel free to message a staff member on the forums.

Thread Locked - A staff member has requested the thread to be locked

Posted May 25, 2019
    xOeuf and MudkipLover2005 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.