• 1337 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9039 Players Online
  • 7702 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why I quit champions (and no longer find it fun)

Discussion in 'Champions' started by EpicEnderDragon1, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Same lmao I play way more SSM now since at least there aren't parties win farming there. Champions is literally just "get a party of sweats and win-farm all day" now lol.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 30, 2020
  2. Champions GI is a great, and I think what they're doing for the game is great. But something seriously needs to be done about party win-farming, as it has ruined the game for many people. I saw a solution of randomizing the teams, maybe that could work? Or possibly balancing the stats based off of stats could work to.

OP OP
    Starx280 and pooleggs like this.
  3. Parties are definitely not the only reason why games die, and it's definitely not the sole reason champions died. But party win-farming are without a doubt a big factor in why new players/older players would quit playing, as it basically makes it impossible to compete without a party of your own. I saw someone call champions a "player vs party" game, as that's what it feels like to most players.

OP OP
  4. What I was trying to say is that people blame parties for letting the game die I know that if the game gets a proper balance update it won’t be a problem as it is rn

Posted Nov 30, 2020
  5. Safe to say multiple reasons are why this game is dead.

Posted Nov 30, 2020
  6. lol

Posted Nov 30, 2020
    a0_Oe likes this.
  7. Not keen on randomizing teams since I think it would do more harm than help. While sweats partied up might be difficult to deal with, preventing people from queuing together altogether makes life more difficult for weaker players who are trying to play together. If people want to play with their friends, then they should be able to do so. It's also worth noting that people would still queue together using team selectors before parties automatically queued all members together, so we'd have to take extra steps to actually prevent people doing this if we chose to go that route. Also, randomized doesn't necessarily mean balanced or fair.

Balancing teams based off of stats is something that gets brought up pretty frequently and it's a little more difficult than it sounds, since you have to decide which stats are actually important. Counting stats like total wins are more or less useless for that purpose since alts exist and having a lot of wins or kills doesn't mean you're a good player. Specific stats such as KDR don't necessarily tell the full story either.

I think if we were to implement a matchmaking sort of thing, we'd probably use average experience earned per game within the past month, as it gives a nice roundup of whether a player gets kills, plays the objective, and wins games. We are planning on changing the rewards a bit for whenever the game gets updated, so I think that could end up being a decent way to matchmake. Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely that matchmaking like that will ever make it into the game given the complexity and...well frankly it's not going to be all that useful without a significantly higher playercount. It is certainly something I'd like to see happen, I just don't see it happening.

I do think the best bet is to focus on making sure the next update is good balance-wise and that we can get the numerous bugs and highly abusable stuff out of the game. Things like having a comprehensive tutorial for newcomers, preventing players from getting trapped and killed in their own spawn, balancing the game so that running 5 Assassins or 5 Longshot Rangers isn't a viable strategy, hopefully these will help address the bulk of this issue.

Posted Nov 30, 2020
    fgx, Starx280 and Fusafez like this.
  8. lol

Posted Nov 30, 2020
  9. This is the case for a ton of games because the only player base that is left on mineplex is basically just the people who have been playing for a long time. Mixed Arcade Games like Turf Wars and Wither Assault are ruined by this as well, where the teams are so unbalanced that the game just isn't fun anymore. It's exactly what you said, a win farming scheme because that is what everyone cares about now. Stats are more important to all the high level players than having fun or playing a good game. New players don't know that wins do anything. They just join because they want to play games and have fun with friends. Obviously I understand that winning is important, that is part of what makes a game fun. Who doesn't want to win? But there comes a clear point that the obsession goes too far and the leaderboard is the only personality trait that a player possesses. I am a horrible Champions player and luckily I don't really like the game either. When I played there were only 1-2 lobbies each of which were insanely experienced teams who would blow out the other side because there was maybe 1 new player or another person left the game. It was so difficult for me to realistically play the game because there was nowhere to start learning how to play the game. Losing is part of learning how the game works, but that is much different than how discouraging it is to know that you will lose 99% of the time because you will have such a difficult time trying to gain experience. The fault really is just in the size of the player base. If Mineplex got its head together and we got more players, there would be enough to start more lobbies where you could start small. Obviously it would be ridiculous to say that these higher-experienced players can't be on the same team, that's stupid. It's a difficult thing to find a solution to other than to get other players more skills so that they can play competitively. I usually wait for Sneaky Assassins in the Mixed Arcade lobby and while waiting, there is a Wither Assault game beforehand. In these games, the teams are extraordinarily unfair due to the fact that 3-4 level 100's who are on the leaderboard will choose the wither team and wipe the entire lobby of inexperienced players within a single minute. If they are all on the other team, they use a tactic (which hopefully will be removed) that inexperienced players do not know which basically has a 100% win rate. All I'm really getting at is that easy, cheap wins are more important than playing fairly or competitively.

Posted Nov 30, 2020
  10. As a solo quer I agree with the op wholeheartedly

Play in parties you‘ll get it easy.

Play a couple games alone and you’ll enter hell.

Posted Dec 5, 2020
  11. Just combo them

Posted Dec 9, 2020