• 1290 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9861 Players Online
  • 8571 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why Bonzai is a Bad Map

Discussion in 'Evolution' started by nico, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Hello!

In my personal experience of playing Evolution, two maps have been especially frustrating and annoying to play on: Bonzai and the old Revelation. Revelation is no longer a problem thanks to the amazing @joshuart who made an amazing revamp of the map that I am a huge fan of (I recommend voting for it the next time you play evolution ;D) so I am here to discuss Bonzai.

One of my grievances with the map is the extremely awful water gameplay that occurs in between the outer islands and the mainland. This extremely poorly planned ice/water terrain makes it very difficult to PVP and evolve anywhere near the border (elaborated on in a further issue). This gameplay is both extremely unfun and poor in quality. If you do not know what I'm talking about, here are some picture (please excuse my particles).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonzai is critically lacking in places for people to hide while evolving. Hiding spots are very crucial to EVO because if not, the game becomes a "who does not get targeted while evolving" contest which is not healthy for gameplay or enjoyability. If you look at the map, you will find many of these things:[​IMG]
    These stone spikes are the closest things to hiding spots but are not even close to being functional as one due to the fact that someone can just hit you off of them. The other hiding spot this map has is the mountain [​IMG]
    which is only accessible by chickens and iron golems.

Mid also has this extremely awkward structure: [​IMG]
    that honestly just provides awkward gameplay and is not good to use as a hiding spot unless you're an iron golem or chicken. Other than that it just provides bad gameplay in general, especially with the water.

Mid in general has extremely open fields and therefore evolving in the middle of the map is not feasible. You either have to evolve on the outer islands (bad idea; elaborated on later) or evolve on the edges which will get you pushed into the water and forces you to engage in water/ice PVP.

You probably have the general idea of what the outer islands look like based on the pictures sent previously. These islands are extremely thin and contain a large portion of the spawns. This increases the odds of AFK farmers who just run around the islands killing AFK people with no consequence due to the majority of the action happening in the middle. On top of that, these islands (to no one's surprise) has no hiding spots except for these spikes in the water: [​IMG]
    The problem with these is that if you get egg camped, you will be water camped and then die, wasting a lot of time. The other problem with gameplay on the outer islands is people being driven from mid to the outer island by cleaners and therefore bringing unwanted action to you while you're trying to evolve/kill someone.

In short, remove Bonzai pls

Posted Sep 21, 2020
    Rilau, HeyItsAdam, Danese and 5 others like this.
  2. hatin on bonzai go brr

Posted Sep 25, 2020
  3. I'm not a fan of removing the map entirely. Evolution already has a limited number of maps and I don't want to decrease that. I appreciate the issues you've brought up and I will work on getting this map up to your guys' standards. Thank you!!

Posted Sep 25, 2020
    nico likes this.
  4. Well obviously it it means you need to make more Evolution maps :wink: @joshuart

Posted Sep 25, 2020