• 1652 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4231 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Who’s a Good Character to Pick Up for Newer Players?

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by PracticalitiesX, Nov 8, 2019.

1. I haven’t played Mineplex in a while, and I wanna get back into it with SSM. What’s a good and easy to play character to learn the ropes with?

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    TooMuchXMas4You likes this.
  2. I would honestly go with the chicken kit. The reason why I suggest that is because it's a very difficult character to catch/pin down due to its speed and small hit-box and you get nearly ten double jumps, making it easier not to fall in the void. Chickens are also great for projectile attacks so you don't really have to melee at all which is great for new players/old-returning players who aren't the best at pvp.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    PracticalitiesX likes this.
  3. Witch is nice and you can pretty well spam the potions. Plus if you manage to double jump every time you splash a bottle you can be a force to be reckoned with.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  4. Heyo!

It's honestly different for everybody, and it depends on what you like. If you're new or returning and don't have a lot of kits, I suggest using one of the default kits; Iron Golem, Skeleton, Slime, or Spider. Spider is a very fast kit, and has some poison arrows you can use, along with webs that shoot out from behind you for an extra jump (they also get players stuck in them and deal damage on impact). Skeleton is an archery kit, with bone explosion which deals damage to nearby players and a roped arrow move which pulls you toward the arrow you "throw" with the bow in your hand, though there are a few glitches going around the network with bows right now, so just keep that in mind. Iron Golem is very tanky, and has a few moves such as iron hook, seismic slam, and fissure which pull in a player, deal AoE damage upon landing, and make blocks spike out of the floor which deal a lot of damage and knockback. Finally, slime has slime rocket and slime slam which shoot out a slime or launch you towards another player. All provide a very unique set of gameplay, but need some getting used to at first to learn the ropes of the kit. In the future, I would personally just explore what all the kits have to offer as they all are very different, but that basically sums up the default kits. In-game, you can always click on a kit you have available and it will also pop up a short description in-game as to what the ability or smash move contains. Enjoy your time playing SSM, and have a nice day!

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Xukuri and PracticalitiesX like this.
  5. squid is very newcomer-friendly, good armor, decent regen, simple abilities and a recovery that makes you invincible. yea, i would say go with squid

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Mitchy and PracticalitiesX like this.
  6. Thanks for the information! I’ll look into it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 8, 2019
    TooMuchXMas4You likes this.
  7. Some really easy kits you can use are Blaze, Creeper, Chicken, or Sky Squid. If you're new, it doesn't matter too much about what kit you choose, as long as you know the basic game mechanics. If you're bad at a kit, then its nothing a bit of practice can't fix. Some kits that I don't recommend using if you're looking for an easy time are kits with complicated mechanics or many abilities. Kits like spider and wolf with weird double jump mechanics, or witch and cow where you need to shift or double click to attach to your bats or milk spiral. This isn't to say that every kit is easy. Every kit will require practice to become good at. Most importantly, you should choose whatever you find the most enjoyable. Try out all the kits and see what fits your play style.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  8. I highly recommend skeleton. It's easy to pick up and actually plays very well against a lot of mobs. Oh and it's a free kit as well.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Vocaloiid and PracticalitiesX like this.
  9. As of right now, its anything with a sword as it uses Static Laser upon release.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
    Vocaloiid and PracticalitiesX like this.
  10. If you want to play to win as soon as possible play Skeletal horse or Squid, pretty easy and simplistic kits
    If you play to get better then play any of the free kits
    If you play for fun then play chicken or achievement kits

Just remember to always switch up your main every once in a while to figure out what's best for you.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  11. Honestly, almost every class in SSM can be picked up fairly easily - it’s arguably an easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master gamemode. Nonetheless, I would personally recommend the following classes: Skeleton, an excellent choice for a player who prefers a ranged entity; Wolf, a class well-known for its shut-down, assassin-like melee abilities; and Blaze, if the player desires a healthy permutation of range and close-combat. Skeleton and Wolf are ranked high on the official SSM Tierlist, which can be found here; however, it is notable that Blaze is significantly lower. Not totally sure if this is a defining factor in your choice of class, but I thought I would mention it just incase. Hope you enjoy SSM and discover a well-suited class!

Purposely included neither Sheep nor Villager due to their achievement prerequisites, which a relatively new player would not yet normally have.

Posted Nov 8, 2019
  12. For newcomers I recommend kits that are fairly simple and allow you to learn the game's basic mechanics, while not drawing you to "degenerate gameplay" that is highly viable in the lower levels but becomes worse down the line; that is why I'm not recommending creeper, blaze or chicken (and a couple others but those especially)- all of them can draw you to playing a very simplistic yet effective gameplay that doesn't really help you in learning the game or improving.

The kits I do recommend for beginners are Squid, Enderman and cow. Kits with fairly simple gameplay that do have their more complex techs you can learn later but aren't required for beginners.
    After getting more comfortable with the game's fundamentals, I'd move to kits that are a bit more technical, like any of the starter kits which are all very good. Try getting sheep, it's a pretty good starting goal.

Posted Nov 9, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 9, 2019
    • Inappropriate Posts/Threads
    creeper and skellyhorse are pretty -snip- kits, try those. Or blaze if you want something that will allow you to never fall into the void.

Posted Nov 9, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 9, 2019
    FluteVegetables and matrixyst like this.
  13. #makespiderevenmoreop

Posted Nov 9, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  14. To be honest, the best default kit, in my opinion, is Skeleton. You don't need to go up close and get messed up by the OP kits, you can just stay back and fire at will while everyone else is brawling. The best non-default kit, in my opinion, is Blaze. It's very OP.
    - TheProTroller

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  15. If you don't have too many gems to spend on chicken, I would go with slime. IMO very easy to pick up on, high floor and a high ceiling.

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  16. Personally, I would completely agree with @Task - I think that the Skeletal Horse and the Squid are definitely the easiest kits to use. They are not only simple but also easy to manoeuvre, both having movement-based abilities and both having the ability to send players into a quick death without much thought and just some reflex action.

They are also really good to teach you to learn your surroundings in SSM, and I like to use them a lot being not the best at SSM at all!​

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  17. Hey!
    So I occasionally play SSM so I'll give my input. I think you should save up and get blaze because in my opinion blaze is an all around good kit. You have a height advantage on almost every kit because of firefly. I also like it because you can slowly annoy/hurt other players with inferno which puts them on fire momentarily. Blaze also helps you for instance if someone knocks you into the void you can quickly recover. I usually use blaze because I'm not very good at the game and the blaze is a fairly easy to use kit. Hope this helps you! :D

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  18. Chicken is pretty good because of the multiple double jumps and 2 easy to use ranged options. However, Chicken requires decent strafing to get around bad armor, and decent melee as well. I still recommend Chicken to those who have played PVP before, but have not played SSM before.

Sheep and Villager are out of the question, as they're achievement kits.

Skeleton is pretty good for beginners, as bone explosion is an excellent way to get rid of melee threats like Wolf and Skeleton Horse. Barrage also means that you don't need godly aim to win a ranged fight.

Golem, however, is one of the worst kits for beginners, as its slow movement and large hitbox render it hard to use. If you seriously want to learn how to play golem, ask a good Golem player. I have killed countless Golem players as wolf because they did not know how to deal with his Cub Tackle.

Protip: Getting a direct hit on an opponent with Chicken Missile ends the cooldown and allows you to immediately fire another Chicken Missile.

I play Wolf often, and I recently picked up Chicken. That's where I am coming from.

Posted Nov 9, 2019
  19. I definitely agree with this. You want something that doesn't have too many abilities and a more complex passive, but a kit that is still respectable in that it has decent stats and can hold it's ground against more complex kits or the melee classes. I feel like squid is on the edge for this one because of it having more abilities, and would probably substitute it with something like blaze. Blaze has a solid recovery and very good damage, and is therefore pretty good to start out with.
    That said, I started the old-fashioned way; don't buy any kits and stick to skeleton or spider. Those may be slightly more complex (spider being much harder to learn, yet having insane stats overall), but they pay off. Skeleton, regardless of it's bow glitch, is a very good kit to start out on. Barrage does decent damage, it's axe ability is also quite nice for fending off players that are too close, and roped arrow is quite nice if you learn how to properly use it. It's a fairly mobile kit and has good base stats. Apart from the arrow glitch, it's a good way to start, and of learning proper aim as well.
    Spider... is spider. It's hard at the start but once you understand it's abilities it's definitely a solid kit. If you don't mind sacrificing a few wins to get the ropes, it's a decent place to start. That's how I eventually learnt the kit - just threw myself into a couple games with the mindset of learning - not winning.

Most importantly, though, is to stick to one kit. Consistency is the key to becoming good, and you can start by locking in one specific kit that you want to get familiar with as you become a better player in general. Choose a main based on your play stile and roll with it. Don't switch off to other kits - even if you've been beaten. Play that player again with your kit, stick to that mindset of learning rather than winning, and verse them again. Be persistent!

Those are just my two cents, but it's also important to have fun while you learn. Make sure you're surrounded by players you're comfortable with, and be sure to challenge yourself. Have fun!

Posted Nov 9, 2019