• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

What will it take to upgrade to 1.9+ ?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by belphegor, Mar 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. neropatti

neropatti

Source for this information?

Also I started helping out someone build an adventure map recently, and I did notice that 1.13.2 is better optimized in some ways. For example, going fullscreen is instant. I'm sure there are other optimizations as well.

If I wanted to nit-pick, I could say that time by itself is not visible at all with a microscope, and therefore the term you used is incorrect. And I do want to nit-pick, it is not literally a microscopic difference.

I set up a simple script for myself, playing an audio beep and having either 500ms or 600ms as the delay. In 41 tries my success rate was 19.51% with 8 fails. My point is that you can EASILY tell the difference.

Another thing is that people simply don't want to adapt. I'd honestly like to see a 1.13.2 version of ssm, where melee is not as highly regarded due to the attack cooldowns. But I'm in the minority there.

Neither version is objectively better. The reasons are mainly subjective. Some prefer when you can click fast, some like the one where you can't. The newer versions have a stigma for being bad because of compatibility errors, which are not an issue if you drop the older versions.

Source for this info? Don't tell me to go try myself, you have the burden of proof. Try using the newest version and disable the attack cooldown.

Posted Mar 9, 2019
    xOeuf and belphegor like this.
  2. xNooted

xNooted

Hey there!

As mentioned several times above me, I believe the reason Mineplex won't upgrade to 1.9 or won't any time soon is the PVP system and framerate for low end PC / Laptop players. Considering it's probably half and half who plays on a basic computer and a gaming computer, if you play on a newer update you usually get slightly more lag whereas new PCs it is seen to improve framerate, well - it does for me.

A lot of the community are just comfortable on 1.8 too, which is fair enough. The PVP system works perfectly, Labymod and Optifine versions are up to date and working perfectly, and the future updates just don't really appeal to them as they only play multiplayer and wont see any difference within framerate. However, I feel like if future updates were to revisit the PVP system or focus on increasing framerate for low end system players - we might be able to move forward to 1.9. This might happen in the forseeable future :)

Posted Mar 11, 2019
  3. Jaekub

Jaekub

I had been playinf 1.12.2 for a long time, and I've noticed that now, with 1.8.9, that I PVP a lot better and everything is a lot smoother. The 1.9+ combat system is horrid. I remember it coming out and that was one of the reasons that I quit Minecraft a long time ago.

Posted Mar 11, 2019
  4. Fall

Fall

All Mojang needs to do is fix their combat system and/or implement a means to use older versions' combat systems. Mojang hasn't done this so we won't be seeing all the servers servers using 1.9+ exclusively.

Posted Mar 11, 2019
  5. Partshade

Partshade

Man, that took a while...

Posted Mar 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM
  6. stryze

stryze

I don't think any of the major servers are even considering dropping 1.8 support at this time, seeing as though 50+% of the player base still plays on it (so I've heard - this could be a completely outdated stat). That being said, I am surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that it is still possible to create game modes which play on the newest versions of MC, while still maintaining server-wide 1.8 support (as Skyfall did). I think the solution moving forward is to create a handful of major game modes which are less pvp focused, yet still make use of the awesome features of new MC (custom entity models?!). Maybe this creates some compatibility issues, but it could be what it takes to actually get people excited about the idea of updating... which in my mind will ultimately be necessary.

There is still risk in that though, I guess. There's little use in dumping a bunch of resources in to a new mode if the majority of the community can't get excited about it. /shrug

Posted Mar 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM,
    Last edited Mar 14, 2019 at 9:41 AM
  7. neropatti

neropatti

I thought we were talking about specifically java, but alright. This goes to territory where I don't know enough to argue. That being said, I'm not going to just "Take a guess" where the players are when I have such limited knowledge on the topic. You have not presented enough evidence to convince me.

What's with this attitude?

Again, what is with this attitude? I do agree that literally can be used in a figurative sense, but I personally disagree with it. I don't know if you're trying to argue or play a game of "Gotcha!" with smug, animated gifs and everything.

Before you say that I am salty, yes I am. But what was your objective here? Just to politely point out that I am wrong, and move on? No, you wanted your own little victory moment. But I guess I've also been doing this, which is something I should work on.

I don't have a definitive answer.

Posted Mar 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM
  8. TitchMeThroughThePhone

TitchMeThroughThePhone

Possibly creating some 1.9+ games with features from the updates and see how that goes, I for example loved sky fall and was the only other game I've played on mineplex besides champions, clans, and castle siege. What mineplex is doing now is barely working and we need to change things and have brand new game ideas in order to attract new players, something mineplex could do with new items and blocks from the updates.

Posted Mar 14, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    belphegor likes this.
  9. Partshade

Partshade

Sorry. All this false claim and demonization against 1.9 is just something that's made me toxic since the beginning (Not blaming you, it's the other guy who set me off). But now I'm realizing that I'm no better than those I was arguing with. For that, I humbly apologize.

Except for this...
    My attitude here still feels justified. You told me that my use of the term "literally" was incorrect despite it fully fitting the informal Oxford definition. That's not really something you can just "disagree" with.

But with that being said, it probably is better we just ended this conversation, while I end it all for good (Figuratively...). The toxicity version debates cause really is uncanny.

Posted Mar 15, 2019 at 3:32 AM
  10. DaGourmand

DaGourmand

So much of your time and effort was wasted. It does not matter what you or I think about 1.9, what matters is the community on a larger scale. Yes not all 1.8 players would leave but the vast majority of them aren’t going to start all over as a noob again in 1.9 pvp. They will leave to other games and servers. Mineplex at this point is too dead to do such a drastic measure. At this point, mineplex is just holding on for as long as they can before their playerbase runs out. Mineplex has no big youtubers to bring 1.9 players to their server anymore. Maybe they should’ve changed to 1.9 back in 2016 or 2017 but now it is too late.

Posted Mar 16, 2019 at 1:54 PM
  11. PapiKirito

PapiKirito

even if they switched back then the outcome would be the same. You may get a few of the newer players who actually like 1.9 mechanics, but a good chunk, if not a majority would just quit or switch to the other major 1.8 server.

Posted Mar 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM
    MrDrProfessor//_Prof_ likes this.