• 381 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2960 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

What is it With This New Game Finding System?

Discussion in 'Combat Games' started by TooWeirdPerson, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've come back to Mineplex after a long time, and I was surprised with the return of the original lobby and I was really looking forward to playing some games. However, I am very confused as to why Mineplex decided to create a new way for players to find games? In my opinion, I see this as a very unnecessary change in the server. I've noticed that it takes an absurdly larger amount of time in order to find games, compared to the older system. From my past experiences, I noticed that it would take at maximum only 30 seconds for a minimum amount of players to initiate a game. I believe this is why it happens:
    1. When you see the list of servers for a particular game, you would want to choose the most populated server. Say there are four available rooms, each one has 1 person. You join that one.
    2. Someone else wants to play the same game. They'll notice the one which has one person. They'll join that one because someone else is there. After that, someone else will join because there are also people there. And it goes on and on, and it will fill up faster.

But this is just my opinion. Anyone else though feel the same way?

Posted Feb 4, 2019
    Kollu and ireallylikerats like this.
  2. I think it really depends on the gamemode-games that are super popular may take slightly longer to find, but less popular games definitely have a shorter start time than they used to. Also take into account that since you have been away for awhile, the player count has gone down significantly, so the old system just wasn't cutting it anymore-for a lot of games, there were only a couple lobbies and what would end up happening is that each lobby would have 4-7 people and the games wouldn't start. This way avoids that by sending everyone to the same lobby.

Posted Feb 4, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  3. I believe the hope with the new queuing system mainly was to speed up the amount of time players had to wait in lobbies for games to start. I don't think anyone specifically requested it, but personally, I really like it. It was a bit silly previously to have 10 players in one lobby and 6 more in another lobby all waiting for the same game to start. However, the old system didn't encourage players to leave the server for any specific reason, so a lot of the time, people would just stay. I know I used to stay in the same lobby until I got bored of no new players joining and joined another lobby, but that wasn't always quick. It's more efficient to match up players that want to play the game at the same time than to have them spread out in different lobbies. I haven't had any issues with games taking any longer than they did previously. It may just be that you are attempting to play games when there aren't a lot of players also trying to play them at the same time as you. In that case, the game wouldn't have started with either system anyways.

Posted Feb 6, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  4. tbh I didn't see that happen frequently. Dunno which game people refer to when they talk about "multiple lobbies having a few people but not enough to start" but I don't recall that being a common occurrence.

Posted Feb 6, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  5. Really? I experienced it in pretty much every game besides cake wars and maybe sg. Also heavily depends on what time you are on too, I guess, but I mean I'm usually on at or just after peak hours.

Posted Feb 6, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  6. I mean, most of the games that really struggled with playercounts tended to do a good job of consolidating players into one lobby imo. Champions, Bridges, and a good number of the arcade games (before MP got rid of most of them and relegated the rest to the crappy Mixed system) never seemed to have this issue. I think SW was a bit prone to it but I honestly don't know what other games I saw it in, maybe SG?

Posted Feb 7, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  7. Idk I guess we may just be on at different times. It was definitely more noticeable in Microbattles and cake wars duos, but I saw it happen quite a bit in bridges and champions as well.

Posted Feb 7, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  8. When I was playing on Java I didn’t see too much of a difference in speed.

Maybe something else may be the root cause of the slowness.

Posted Feb 7, 2019
  9. might be, I've been skewing toward later in the day.

Posted Feb 7, 2019
  10. It used to happen a lot to me. I usually play really late at night for most of our player base though, so that could have been part of it. Regardless, I found it frustrating to wait for a lobby to start for 15 minutes or so and then have to leave to go to a different lobby just to play another game. It was just kind of a waste of time. I think the main flaw in the old system was that it always prioritized the lobby with the largest amount of players. Players just joined that one instead since it was first and it caused a lot of delays for any other lobbies unless there were enough players online to fill them too, which isn't always the case.

Posted Feb 9, 2019
    Kollu and SpitefulNick like this.
  11. I can see why you think so, but this time thing is very annoying. Sometimes, it doesnt search when u ask it too. Having that type of queing is great and all but its worse than the older one. Instead of being a timed one, game searching should find the fullest game that can fit the amount of people in a party. Its not hard to do and its very efficient too. Its basically like every server but its the best option. By the way, the quick compass looks very eack with all those glass pains in there. They should fix that too lol.

Posted Mar 1, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  12. The new queuing system was adding, mainly, to speed up the "filling" of games. Before this system was implemented, as _H2O mentioned, there could be two different servers with one having 10 and the other having 6, all waiting for the same game to start. That in itself was a bit silly, so this just speeds up the process of games filling. I actually quite like this new system better, as I feel there has been a change in the speed of starting games.

I can totally understand your point of view, and to be completely honest I wasn't sure how I felt about it when it first came out. After trying it for a few days, I started to realize how useful it was and how much more efficient it was at starting games. Nobody specifically asked for it, yes, but it was something that was seen as a good quality of life update.

Posted Mar 1, 2019
    Kollu likes this.
  13. The purpose of having a new queue system is to allow players to join the server right before the game starts in few seconds. Last time, there were some issues that it take a long time to start which some of the players left the pre-game lobby.

I had experience with an old queue system once and it used to have lots of players love to hang out in the pre-game lobby. Unfortunately, there were few players stayed in the pre-game lobby waiting for a long time. That is why there was a reason why the new queue system makes the game start quicker.

Posted Mar 15, 2019
    • General Rudeness Severity 1
    With Mineplex on Java becoming dead and having absolutely no players and popularity they decided the best thing to do is this to make it easier for matchmaking. Sucks that Minecraft has to lose a lot of players and mineplex was one of the servers who suffered badly. It could also be that the anti cheat is bad but who knows....

Posted Mar 15, 2019
  14. From what I know, and have heard from a lot of people who played on the Java edition of Mineplex, this server is literally dying. The anti cheat is terrible, so bad that there are like no players playing on the server. It's so sad I guess that even the match making for the games has to change because of the huge loss of players.

Posted Mar 16, 2019
    Sam ♡ and NothinButNet like this.
  15. Th
    On minetrack it says the server gets 1000 to 2000 players regularly so it's not completely dead.

Posted Mar 16, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  16. True, it's not completely dead
    But isn't it a little weird how even players on forums would agree that the server is dying

Posted Mar 16, 2019
  17. Yeah but people (forums people included) have been saying that since 2016. We seem to be stable at 1-2.5k, and that average hasn't really dipped in a while.

Posted Mar 16, 2019
  18. Guess there are players on both sides of the spectrum. Players who see that the server is losing players whilst other players think that the server is maintaining it's player count. If this is the case, then why is it that Mineplex changed their queuing system? Reasons mentioned above by different mods explain that it is because some games take a long time to fill up, maybe due to lack of players don't you think.

Posted Mar 16, 2019
    NothinButNet likes this.
  19. I don't think it's dying as of right now but it has declined and hence why a new system is needed for the fewer players

Posted Mar 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.