• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1642 Players Online
  • 1642 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

What happened to GWEN?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by dutty, Apr 18, 2022.

1. I haven't played in a couple months, and I first played a few games of Cake Wars yesterday for the first time in a while. I obviously completely stopped bothering to keep up with Mineplex stuff, but wtf happened to GWEN? Except for the last clip, this was all just one game. Genuinely curious.

Posted Apr 18, 2022
  2. It's gotten better at catching hackers since the November update but people seem to be getting kicked for glitching or lagging more than ever.

Posted Apr 18, 2022
  3. ^, It's still very much so there. However, I have been kicked, along with friends for glitching in a game or just other oddities which are obviously not cheats haha.

Posted Apr 18, 2022
    LockNess8221 and BlazeFire like this.
  4. Bedrock Gwen: ‍
    Java Gwen: ‍‍‍♀️⚔️♀️

Posted Apr 18, 2022,
    Last edited Apr 18, 2022
    LockNess8221 and FoxGal like this.
  5. Lol I have been having this all over my DOM and SSM Games to the point it has become unbearable: During PvP I cannot be close to blocks because i will inevitably get absorbed by them.

Hopefully Mimeplex is aware of the issue and is doing something to fix it... Hopefully...

Posted Apr 18, 2022
    tgjt_ and LockNess8221 like this.
  6. Happens to me all the time, but I feel like it is more to be blamed on lag. I can say this because my friends (from US) actually don't get these problems at all, but I get complaints from friends who get above 100 ping (I get 200+), and also since GWEN is too good in detecting unusual behavior from players that it simply ignores laggy players or even those who lag because of the servers and not their internet.

Hopefully this will get fixed with the new infrastructure, because it looks promising (keep in mind this is coming from a 200 ping player, and the beta server is WAY more responsive than the normal server, the difference is night and day).

Posted Apr 19, 2022
    LockNess8221 and GRGoodGame like this.
  7. You can see in the 4th clip that MXM (30 ping) has the same issue in the same area sooo.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 19, 2022
  8. Yeah, that is happening a lot. You've to bare in mind that this isn't punishable (via staff members) if you're not general abusing the rules etc.

Posted Apr 19, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  9. Oops I forgot to include that server lag can happen to anyone, just that it is more common to high ping players

I phrased the sentence wrong dammit

Posted Apr 20, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  10. This was caused by a hotfix that attempted to block a new bypass. Originally, GWEN just exempted the move checks if you were vertically collided. As a result, there was a very fast ground speed and you could use collision fly if you were actively vertically collided.

Lag will not interfere with the move checks unless there is some BS detection method that relies on ping (GWEN does not do this however one AntiCheat I can think of does).

“GWEN is too good in detecting unusual behavior from players that it simply ignores laggy players or even those who lag because of the servers and not their internet”
    This does not mean the AntiCheat is “too good”. This means it is flawed in its detection as a bad AntiCheat that’s poorly made can false flag more legits than cheaters.
    GWEN doesn’t simply “ignore” laggy players (bad AntiCheats like on lunar will actually do this), it is able to compensate for the lag in most cases.

Server lag != to Client lag.
    it is not “more common to high ping players”. They are very much two separate things.

Posted Apr 24, 2022
  11. It does.
    You don't understand. On Mineplex, every player gets a lag spike at different times / all players do not lag at the same time (this may or may not be due to the multiple server IPs). I can say that majority of players I have played with have a good and stable internet connection. In spite of this, lag occurs and those who are affected by lag have a 25-50% chance to get kicked no matter what. And from my 2 years of consistently playing on Mineplex I can say that higher the ping, higher the chances of getting hit by a lag spike from the server.

Posted Apr 24, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  12. That is not the server that is a problem on your end.
    What you talk about is not a movement check, rather very likely a bad packets check.

Posted Apr 24, 2022
  13. I have no problems from my end lol

Posted Apr 24, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  14. You just said you have high ping, that is literally from your end lmao

Posted Apr 24, 2022
  15. I will not comment on Mineplex's infrastructure whatsoever, but what I will say is that it could very well be the server's end too.

I've seen cases where fairly large servers (Even those bigger than Mineplex itself) end up having a failing CPU as a mere example, thus causing degraded performance overtime and ultimately the server itself being rendered unusable.

Same goes for if you have too many Minecraft servers being held within a single dedicated server. There may not be enough resources to allocate, thus as mentioned above, causing degraded performance.

Another scenario that could occur is how many times your network has to "Hop" before reaching the datacenter as well. The easiest example I can give is the following:
    Your computer -> Your Internet -> Your Internet Provider -> Principal Data Routes (Internet Backbone) -> Game Server.

In simple terms, it's basically latency between the time it takes to reach the game server and back to you. If there's any issue during the transit (Whether it'd be to, or from), it could cause things such as packet loss to occur which could render your gameplay experience to be less than ideal.

These are very simplistic examples and there's many situations that could occur. It's just to showcase that it isn't always the player's fault.

Edit:
    In the recent year and a half, checks have evolved to a point where the old methods we used for both checking and mitigating lag has been dissolved for the most part. In a sense, you can view them as "Deprecated" which basically means that you could still use them and it can possibly work, but it's something that is not suggested to be utilized.

What we do now is basically verify that the client and server are as closely in sync (Not the right terminology, I know) as possible. What I mean by that is we basically "Predict" what the client's absolute position should actually be rather than blindly relying on flying packets, or the already provided locations provided by the Bukkit API itself.

While there's an immeasurable number of possibilities that could happen during the process mentioned above, they will ultimately end up interpolating back to a single location which we could utilize to both accurately and reliably detect cheats such as reach (Which you could basically detect even the smallest extension of reach such as 3.01 blocks).

Posted Apr 26, 2022,
    Last edited Apr 26, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  16. gwen stops cheaters

Posted Apr 26, 2022
    dutty, LockNess8221 and dogeygamer23 like this.
  17. Can't cheat if you can't properly play in the first place *taps head*

Posted Apr 27, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  18. lol no way my post was removed for "unnecessary"

Posted Apr 29, 2022
  19. what did you say

Posted Apr 29, 2022
    LockNess8221 likes this.
  20. He said fax let’s just leave it at that…

Posted May 1, 2022