• 1124 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5361 Players Online
  • 4237 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Use of egirls in a derogatory manner

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by ZeldarinaX, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Hey! This is sort of a rant, but it's not off-topic because it is to do with gaming, and the mineplex community as a whole. First off, let me just say, I dislike girls who pull the gender card for no reason, and this thread isn't about that. However, I have seen a huge amount of players using "egirls" or "girls" as an unironic insult to me and my friends when playing. If they are joking, then I completely understand, the whole 'gamer girl' meme is pretty funny, but it's when they aren't joking when it annoys me. A lot of people genuinely like to insult girls for playing purely just because they are girls, or if they aren't great at pvp, they say "Ofc you can't pvp, you're just an egirl." It's super discouraging to newer players, and although I can understand that it is partially from a meme, you can't just disregard the underlying misogyny in the sentiment. There still is progress that needs to be done to make gaming as a whole more inclusive for everybody, and I think there is a thin line between taking a meme too far, and actual misogyny. Obviously it does't just happen in minecraft, in games with voice chat is where it's most bad, because you can immediately be identified as a girl, but it does happen a lot in mineplex too. This happens mostly when I'm playing combat games like Cake Wars or Bridges, and it's started to really annoy me, because it just comes from a place of really backwards thinking. Again, if they are joking, I really don't mind, I find it funny, but some people do use gender as an insult in a serious way. I've seen it a lot in gaming and general, and, sadly, on mineplex too.

What's you guys' take on it?

Posted Apr 20, 2019,
    Last edited Apr 20, 2019
    Monotonous and Zipppo like this.
  2. Yeah, what you described is way too much of a common thing. Sometimes by reporting it we can do something about it, but it really depends on the situation. I don't understand why people use that as an insult when all it does it comment on your gender which just isn't needed. The people that use it as an insult are usually just angry at the game which is a personal issue honestly. I've never seen egirl used in a context that isn't derogatory.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
    Monotonous, SkarmMines and ZeldarinaX like this.
  3. Accepting egirl applications DM me

So we can talk about the injustice of calling other people egirls when they are indeed just females using the great server of Mineplex. :)

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  4. Indeed! Commenting on your gender is just like commenting on one's race or religion - it's just irrelevant and unnecessary. The problem is, when people use it as an insult, and you report, and then they backtrack and say "She just doesn't have a sense of humor, I'm only joking" etc, I'm glad to see someone else acknowledging it!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 20, 2019
    Monotonous and Zipppo like this.
  5. /shrug
    I use it as a term of endearment but each to their own.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  6. Yeah I completely understand, as I said, if it's not meant in an insulting way, I really don't mind!

OP OP
  7. I see a lot of people saying it in competitive. I really don't get why people get so upset about it. It's just boys joking around and shouldn't be hurting anyone's feelings. I'm not a girl so I don't know what it feels like to be called an e-girl, but I really don't see it as that big of a problem.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  8. "It's just boys joking around" As I have said, if it's said in a jokey way then I don't mind, but sometimes they just say it to be insulting, and as a girl, it is annoying. If someone was a different race and they were called a racist slurr people wouldn't say "oh it's just boys joking around and shouldn't be hurting anyone's feelings". Race, like gender, is completely irrelevant, and shouldn't be brought into games.

OP OP
    Monotonous likes this.
  9. Lol even tho I’m not a girl I am literally only capable of using frosting kit and getting obsidian so I’m basically what people mean when they say egirl

Posted Apr 20, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  10. Haha, would be me if I could just get the "Get Good" achievement, like jeez! :D

OP OP
  11. We are an e-girl then, because that's all I do.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
    cerns likes this.
  12. The best way to get the get good achievement is to knock the last player off and jump into the void directly after them so you still fall but don’t die before the game ends

Posted Apr 20, 2019
    Acerna and ZeldarinaX like this.
  13. When I first came back to the community in December after being inactive for a few years, I was extremely bafffled when people were using the terms egirls and eboys frequently on the server. I have always understood that egirl and eboy just referred to their gender on line. I have only ever seen egirl be used in a derogatory manner a handful of times and in those instances, the users were punished accordingly.

There is no room for mysogyny of any kind on this server.

There is a fine line of using egirl within the confines of a joke however it can be really easy for a joke not to be perceived as such by another person and could take offence if they are not aware of the meme-ish intentions. In short, if a user is sayin egirl and eboy, they must be careful to make sure they are not using it in a derogatory way.

As with most trends, I do not quite understand the whole fasination with it and I personally would not be all that upset if the whole egirl and eboy thing dies within the near future.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
  14. Thank you! This pretty much sums up my points well. There is a difference between a joke and actual misogyny, and I don't really think it's right for boys to decide when girl's should and shouldn't take offense at misogyny, I am glad you understand my points completely. :D
    --- Post updated ---
    Omg thank you! That's so useful! +1

OP OP
  15. Another way you could do this is to knock a player into the void and use an ender pearl to get back onto the surface, and you'll get the achievement. Both ways work, but @cerns 's is easier to do but a rarer situation, whereas mine is tougher but can be done at any time.

Posted Apr 20, 2019
    ZeldarinaX likes this.
  16. Oh hey! This is a really great idea too, thanks lol! This thread started as a rant but ended as a really useful piece of advice xD

OP OP
  17. I honestly have been on the fence about my gender online and since most of the time people don't know what I am and assume I'm a boy (not anymore lol I give up on that) due to how if I'm thought of as a boy some players are less egirl assuming, but now I just don't care. Ive realized I can just report them and get them muted if they aren't joking, and since I move around too much to be in a long conversation for someone to call me an egirl seriously I don't end up encountering it. I agree it shouldn't be used badly, but I feel that any instances should be reported and then leave their presence.

I'm not that good at games but I'm okay and working to get better, since the skill level varies in Mineplex.

Posted Apr 22, 2019
  18. I have alex skin though im a boy, but never get called egirl though Im bad at PvP

Posted Apr 22, 2019