• 3314 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12331 Players Online
  • 9017 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Type Wars in MPS

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by CreativeDolphin, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Hey there!

I’ve seen someone ask this in Staff Request so the credits goes to them. They should have their idea known. The idea is to bring the game “Type Wars” to MPS. It was a fun game and I think it should be added, along with other people from the Mineplex community.

Have a good day! :)

Posted Apr 8, 2020
  2. Howdy!

I remember playing Type Wars with my friends! It was very fun, and for some reason I wasn't ever good at it. I really did like this game, and I understand why it could've been removed! However, if I'm not mistaken, it was on MPS's game selection for a while. I suppose it would be very cool if they added it back!

Stuff like this sometimes takes a while for developers to get around to, but provided we as community members continue to give our opinions, the community will inevitably get what they want! Just like you, I would love to see this game's return and potential addition to MPS. Please note though that the development crew is trying very hard to make the best experience for all players, from Champions to Type Wars.

:mineplex:

Posted Apr 8, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  3. Hey!

Type Wars was a fun game and I think it'd be great to see in MPS. It would allow those players that miss the game and want to play it, to be able to play again. Additions like this would make more players want to buy Legend+ (so they can access MPS by themselves) and make more people want to play Mineplex. So I give this a +1, thanks for the idea!

Posted Apr 8, 2020
  4. I would 100% have to agree with this idea. I remember playing this game and it was so much fun! As someone who didn't learn to type the correct way, it was super exciting to show off my skills to all of my friends. As @ItsFree said, I'm sure lots of people miss the game and would love to play it (such as the castle siege mps community). I don't see why not, so I'm going to give this idea a +1.

Another thing I would love to see them add to MPS' are nano games! Some people only want to play specific nano games and it's hard for them to do that whenever there's around 26 of them! Having nano games in MPS' would allow players to play their favorite games without having to wait for it to come back up in the queue. The only problem I could see with this is that some games are very similar to existing games. One thing that developers could do to prevent this is by adding each individual unique games. Personally, this idea hits home because Minekart (a nano-game) was the very first game I played on Mineplex.

Posted Apr 8, 2020
    ShipshapeMC likes this.
  5. Type Wars was removed indefinitely not due to popularity, but because players created programs and macros to rapidly type the game's keyphrases and win almost instantly. Seeing no solution to prevent the issue from persisting, Mineplex ultimately removed the game mode.

Most games that are taken down but stay in MPS's selection were removed due to popularity and not game-breaking issues, but unfortunately Type Wars doesn't fit those criteria. While I agree it would be nice to see the game resurface, I doubt it will and agree it's likely better off staying offline.

Posted Apr 8, 2020
    ArcaneMage and Wiz2K like this.
  6. This is true. I understand your point, but I still believe it should be added. There is always going to be people who bend/break the rules, but we can’t do anything about it. The best we can do is punish them. You see someone bunny hopping in Survival Games, for example. I don’t think you should just remove the game completely because of the player breaking the rules. We punish the player. Same thing in Type Wars. If someone is using a macro, we should report it and punish them, not just remove the game because of the situation. Not all players are breaking the rules and people who played the game fairly shouldn’t get punished because of other people making wrong decisions.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2020
  7. You're absolutely right that no matter what Mineplex-- or any organization, really-- does there will always be people bending/breaking the rules. However, I don't think you can liken bunny hopping in Survival Games to macros and clients designed for Type Wars because bunny hopping can happen on any network and in any minigame as opposed to the clients and macros specifically designed for Type Wars, due to the unique nature of its gameplay. Your solution to the problem-- submitting reports and expending Moderation resources to treat it like any other hack-- is, frankly, completely unacceptable.

As a player, I don't want to queue for a game that I know is easily susceptible to (and wrought with) hacks and macros because I know these hacks and macros are going to ruin the gameplay for me. It's just not an enjoyable experience and even if Mineplex left the game up, it would inevitably have been taken down for lack of popularity after the entirety of its players had been driven away thanks to the sheer volume of the perpetrators. Now, as a former staff member, I can immediately see how this could have weighed heavily on the workload my colleagues and I shared; the staff team would have been expected to dedicate a portion of their time to this specific game, and if we failed to the community would have been plagued with rulebreakers ruining the game. Of course, as you so astutely noted, players could have just reported the offenders-- which is a great solution for any time a player encounters a rule-breaker, but in this specific scenario a large percentage of the submissions the Reports Patrol team would field would have been pertinent to this one specific offense and they would only get to processing these reports after the user had already ruined games for numerous players. If Mineplex spent the resources to keep the game up, it only would have put further burden on the (already stretched thin) staff team, given rise to rulebreakers, and upset legitimate players.

Mineplex was well within its right to pull the game from the MPS server selection for the same reasons it was all-but obligated to take it down from the public game selection. While MPS servers are typically private (or, at the very least, not densely populated), it would have continued to be an outlet for these offenders to use hacks and macros to win games-- even if it would have been at a lower scale. To leave it up could easily be misconstrued as a conscious blind eye to the problem, even.

Type Wars was a promising game that was enjoyable within a vacuum. However, it was ultimately exponentially more trouble than it was worth and I wholeheartedly agree with Mineplex's decision to pull the game entirely.

Please feel free to respond with any questions, comments, or especially a rebuttal. I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  8. I’m on the phone so I don’t feel like quoting everything so just bear with me.

The first thing I disagree with is when you said we can’t “liken” bunny hopping to macros and clients designed for the game. Cheating is cheating. It’s still punishable, no matter how small it is or extreme.

You also talked about you don’t wanna queue for games that are easily susceptible with hacks. I don’t either. I’m not a fan of PvP games anymore because Gwen simply isn’t that good of an anti-cheat. You also talked about queueing as in public games, but we are only talking about MPS only. The games in MPS don’t count towards stats as you already know. I also disagree with your statement, “even if Mineplex left the game up, it would inevitably have been taken down for lack of popularity after the entirety of its players had been driven away thanks to the sheer volume of the perpetrators.” I don't think it would be taken down due to popularity after everyone quit because of the cheaters. I’ve experienced many cheaters in games like Skywars, but that game is still up and running just fine. I don’t think you can speak for the “entirety of players” because I’ve heard other people in the Mineplex community agree with the topic at hand.

I would continue but it’s almost 4 am and I need sleep. lol

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2020
  9. I was a fan of type wars and would like to be able to play it every now and again. It was removed years ago and the game system has since been updated causing a large rewrite of Mineplex's code, therefore, I don't think the old code would be compatible with the new system without an entire rewrite. I don't think the game would get played enough to warrant an entire rewrite as there are other games/updates that we could put our resources towards. I'm going to have to give this idea a -1.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  10. This would be a good idea, however, I'd have to agree with ClqssyOwl on this one. Type Wars was fun while it lasted, but Type Wars became broken after players started using macros for it. While cheaters might bend the rules of games and get punished for it, players are able to straight up break Type Wars. There's a difference between making a game unfair and making a game unplayable for others. GWEN is great at picking up cheaters, so hackers generally get taken down right away, causing most games to remain balanced. But using macros on a typing game that isn't even mainstream isn't and shouldn't be punishable since it's a very minor offense. Type Wars just has too many problems following it. You also have to remember that if it becomes a report worthy offense, staff members will have to dedicate time to punishing players and reviewing Type Wars gameplay, which is a bit pointless since it was only found in MPS servers.

I suggest to you if you want to pass through an idea like this, you start revamping the game so it's balanced yourself and apply your ideas to the "Game Idea" forum. Just be prepared for an idea like that to get shot down due to it possibly not being worth the effort, or a still possibly broken game, etc.

Also, as a debater myself, CreativeDolphin, you made some fantastic rebuttals, and this was an enjoyable thread to read!

If you have any further questions regarding my statements, or want somebody to play with on Mineplex, feel free to send me a PM or add me on Discord at DMRH#8703.

Have a great rest of your day and hope I was of help.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  11. Well the idea is most likely going to get denied, but I’ll leave the thread up just in case.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2020
  12. Pretty sure the code is gone for type wars, considering it was voted to return to the classics cow and wasn't added because t3 or Emily (one of those two) said that the code was gone so they couldn't bring it back. This means it would have to be rewritten or that they just have to go back and find the code (as from what I've heard, there's no way the code can be completely gone). The game was fun to me, so I'd love to see it back, but I just don't see it happening considering the current development resources.

Posted Apr 9, 2020