• 71 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1515 Players Online
  • 1444 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Trapper balancing suggestions

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Kihta, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Hey, this is some ideas I have on how to balance the trapper team in the newly released Death Run gamemode. This isn't gonna be a thread of me complaining about death run, I actually really enjoy it. However, I think it needs some balance changes, more specifically, nerfing runners and buffing trappers. Currently, it is very difficult to win as trapper and this is coming from someone who is top 3 on wins so far, I have 190 wins total but only 8 trapper wins. Of course, all these ideas don't need to be implemented together, this is just some suggestions that might help to balance Death run as right now, runner wins 99% of the time.

One of the ways trapper could be balanced to have a decent chance at winning is increasing the percentage of runners that can finish before trappers lose. Currently, it is far too low, at only 30% of players, which in some lobbies is only 2-3 players depending on player count. This makes it extremely difficult for trappers to win, increasing it will allow for more chances for trappers to win and subsequently balance it more. Personally, I think around 50-60% of runners should be able to win before trappers lose, maybe even 70% if needed.

Another way trapper could be balanced is by reducing the amount of lives given by checkpoints: Right now, runners start with 5 lives and get an additional 3 at every checkpoint, with all maps having 5 or more checkpoints. This leads to players having over 20 lives at times. To balance this, I think there should be a cap of 7 lives at one time as well as making checkpoints only give one additional life, rather than three. Right now, runners can die over and over again and still somehow win, even when it seems undeserved. The huge amount of lives combined with the 20 minute time limit makes it very difficult to win.

I also think that after the first runner wins, each time another player completes the map, the timer should drop by a set amount (such as 15 seconds), as a full 2.5 minutes AFTER the first player finishes (when most the lobby is around the 4th/5th checkpoints, again makes it hard to win as trapper because the traps just don't cooldown in time, leaving you with nothing you can do to win. A fix to this would either be decrease trap cooldowns, or decrease the timer every time a player finishes the map.

To conclude, I think that implementing some of these ideas (or other people's ideas!!!) would be very good for the balance and gameplay of Death run, as currently most players who get put on the trapper team leave, causing a runner to be forced to swap midgame, causing them to leave. If both sides were balanced, players would feel more inclined to play as trapper even after being forced to swap midgame due to leavers. This post is not intended to be negative or toxic, it is meant to be constructive criticism.
    I'd love to hear some feedback on these suggestions, thank you for reading!

Posted Aug 13, 2022
    MrButtergamer, Amg and traincar100 like this.
  2. I think we all know this thing is gonna need some sort of update in the next month if it's not to fade into obscurity, and balance changes are a good place to start.

Posted Aug 13, 2022
  3. Heya, I believe a patch is dropping tomorrow which will address some of the balance issues. We tested over on Dev-1 yesterday and I think these are the changes that are happening:
    - Checkpoints will now give you +1 life instead of +3
    - Trappers get more xp/Runners get reduced xp (In effect, trying to make trapper and runner rewards equal)

I've heard Timmi talk about increasing the amount of runners needing to escape from 30% to 50% in the MPD, so this could happen, I think it would be a welcomed changed too. Also I agree there needs to be an increased reduction to the time taken off per escape, I don't know the exact figure at the moment but it still gives enough time for most of the runners to escape/make it where trappers can't win. I think having it where at base it starts off with 1.5 minutes left after the 1st escape but then only knock of 10 seconds per escape that follows (these figures can be changed) would be a decent change.

Overall, expect some balance changes soon and hopefully we will see more trapper wins and it become a little bit harder for runners :)

Posted Aug 13, 2022
    rejudge likes this.
  4. Yeah, these would be good changes and I think a lot of people would be happy with this.
    Also a very good change, probably the best change possible for improving how balanced both sides are.

Yeah definitely, the current time is way too long and most, if not all runners end up winning.
    Hopefully the patch tomorrow is good!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 13, 2022
  5. These are the current Trapper changes for the next update:
    • Reduce overall game time 20 -> 8
    • Reduce CheckPoint default lives 3 -> 1
    • Increase Trapper rewards
    • Increase Trapper block win rate 0.3 -> 0.5
    We have also started adjusting the maps, to make it more fair for both sides

Posted Aug 14, 2022
    CatFan105, chrris, Nightys and 3 others like this.
  6. Hello @Kihta, first and foremost, thank you for taking the time to make this thread and for of course sharing your ideas! I am enjoying seeing all the new feedback for Death Run and am excited to see where it is taken. I think we can all agree with the initial drop of the game, of course there are improvements that can be made, but the game, generally speaking, is excellent and very fresh for Mineplex. I really like all of your suggestions, especially the one regarding the time to finish dropping after a runner finishes.

SO EXCITED TIMMI! This is going to balance the game very nicely and I can't wait to play it after.

Again, great idea suggestions and I'm very interested in what others may have to say regarding your idea suggestions. :D

Posted Aug 14, 2022
  7. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my thread! I agree with you that the game is excellent and it was definitely a needed update for the server. Thank you for liking my suggestions too!
    All very good, needed changes. Thank you for this!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 14, 2022
    Amg likes this.
  8. I'm totally new to this but is it supposed to be as hard as it is to win as a trapper?

Posted Aug 14, 2022
    Kihta likes this.
  9. It's pretty impossible to win as a trapper, even if it's supposed to be hard. Many of the people I know that play Death Run a lot aren't able to win as trapper while playing smart.

Posted Aug 14, 2022
  10. Yeah so in its current state, if only 30% of runners escape, trappers don't win. Which is a very unlikely scenario due to how long runners have to escape and how many lives they can accumulate. The patch will hopefully increase the amount of trapper wins.

Posted Aug 14, 2022
  11. I tried trapper and runner a few times the other night, and even with my lack of experience it just seemed totally rigged in the runner's favor.

Posted Aug 15, 2022
  12. From playing today after the patch, it is so much easier to win as trapper, as 50% can win instead of previously 30%. Makes it much more balanced imo.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 15, 2022
    BlazeFire likes this.
  13. Glad they fixed it quickly.

Posted Aug 15, 2022
    Kihta likes this.