• 267 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8705 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Trainee Time Management

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Saker, Aug 4, 2019.

?

How do you manage your time?

1. Setting deadlines

5.3%
  2. Prioritizing my workload

84.2%
  3. Other

15.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hey,

Okay so I'm planning on becoming Trainee soon, but my time management is really poor. I'm looking forward to getting feedback from the community on how they manage their time studying or doing anything else of importance whilst being a staff member (if they are) and handling all their responsibilities. I'm currently registered for an AP Computer Science Principles class along with all honor classes for my sophomore year of high school and I feel like that will take a lot of my time. Anyone can reply to this poll by the way. I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Zapix likes this.
  2. Hey. As a former staff member, I usually did the most important and time-consuming work so I won't have to worry about it later, and then I would moderate Mineplex. I feel like setting deadlines for such is a bit too strict - just do the most important stuff first, and then do the rest of the workload in small amounts. Since you've already done the time-consuming work, you don't have to hurry about finishing the rest of the workload. So yes, prioritize your work.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Saker likes this.
  3. Hey,

I think it ultimately comes down to what works for you. You definitely need to have some sort of system in place to be effective and efficient in getting your work done. If setting strict deadlines to work towards works for you, the go for it. Telling yourself that you’re going to finish “this project” and “this responsibility” between 5-7pm after school. That kind of thing definitely works if that’s how you prefer. That goes pretty hand in hand with the other way you mentioned going about it: prioritizing your time. Which I think is extremely important from personal experience. Get an idea of all your responsibilities, and schedule your time according to how pressing things are. Say you need to meet a trainee quota of 1 hour in-game and 2 forum posts daily. Well, while that’s important, your pressing school responsibilities should come first. Say you have a project to work on along with some smaller worksheet kind of homework. Work on the project, then take a bit of a mental break and hop on Mineplex where you can chill a little more. Then after an hour or two finish the rest of your homework, and do some forum posts.

Prioritize your time and work your responsibilities into your schedule as you’re comfortable with. As long as you have a system that works for you in getting things done, you’ll ultimately be a lot less stressed out! Find out what works for you - reflect on your schedule and how you are most comfortable and efficient at getting things done.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Saker likes this.
  4. Hey!
    Trainee personally for me right now is pretty good considering I have no life, but in 2 weeks I will probably be in the same situation taking all honors and AP World. I think you can do it if you set aside 6 hours a week, (1 hour each day of the week) but I wouldn't recommend it if you feel you will be seriously overwhelmed and you have to force yourself to play. Plus I would recommend at least one thorough post on the forums a day. If you feel like you can't do it now, or you end up resigning, there's really no consequence. I know many staff members who took a break to work on school and came back later.

I hope this helps your decision :D
    --- Post updated ---
    Also sorry! Making a schedule and planning out times to study for upcoming tests and gameplay time could also be good!

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Saker likes this.
  5. I've never been staff, but I know how personally I would do it. I'm only going into the 7th grade though. I remember this last year I changed my sleep schedule for video games. I would wake up at 5am, get ready for school then play online until about 7:05 then I packed the rest of the stuff I had in my back pack and went to my bus stop. I then got home, ate dinner, then got back online if I could (not having my own pc at the time) and play until I had to go to bed or was forced to get off by my parents. While I do think this could work for staff you would also have to manage homework in there, my suggestion since I know many staff, is to stand in a lobby and pay attention to chat while you do your homework to the side at the same time. Hope this might help!

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Saker likes this.
  6. It’s certainly manageable and even more so if you’re passionate and want to put the time into it.

From a personal viewpoint I’m currently a university student going into my third year in September. I’ve been a staff member since the middle of my first year and I’ve managed. There are times where my activity does drop, but for the most part it’s fine. During exam time I usually take a break as it’s too much to focus on. During normal term time I do all of my work during the day so that I can do Mineplex related things in the evening. I find it really nice to have other goals to focus on other that university work as it can easily become your only focus which is good in some way, but it leads to me becoming quite burned out. At the end of the day, school and academics are more important so don’t let that suffer.

Prioritising things is important, especially if you’re in sub-teams and you have work which needs to be completed before a certain date.

As a trainee you do have to be active pretty much everyday. Trainees need to answer questions of the day and generally interacting with your mentor and being active in-game is important. Trainee is quite time consuming at first because you have a lot to learn, but over time it becomes easier. You certainly need to be prepared for it and know that it’s not something you just do for a few minutes at the weekend. Although that all sounds scary, if you really want to do it then it certainly is manageable and is an amazing experience.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    BasicT, Airolt and Saker like this.
  7. Trainee here \o/

Alright, so as a trainee you do have a bit of a work load. It honestly depends on the person on how well they handle the work that comes with the rank, as well as meeting quotas set by their mentor(s). I’m personally going to be taking an AP class, as well as an IB class. So I totally get where you’re coming from with that. I was a bit worried about that a couple of days into my trial, but I’ve developed a decent schedule and know that I can handle the work load, even when school starts!

For deadlines; technically you sort of already have those as a staff member! They are your quotas that you have to meet during the week, regarding forum/server activity, general moderation and other things you do as a trainee.

How long you need to be on every week depends on your mentor. However, if something does come up, you can always negotiate a quota that was set. Personally, my quota is technically 0.5 days a week (12 hours), but again, it’s different depending on ones mentor.

And studying before applying for trainee, as well as during your trial is very helpful and helps you develop your knowledge on the server even further.

Noteworthy links (for preparing for the trainee application)
    Application Link For Java
    Application Link For Bedrock
    Becoming a Trainee
    Becoming a Trainee 2: Train Harder
    Rules
    Frequently Asked Questions

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Saker likes this.
  8. This is something I can personally relate too. Inactivity negatively impacted my time as a former staff member on Mineplex, and school and real life made me take multiple hiatus from many games including Minecraft. I wouldn't recommend applying if you don't have enough time(It is one of the rejection reasons)! Real life is more important, and once you are an actual staff member ~ there are quotas you have to meet timewise. It's good to be realistic with yourself on how much time you can actualy dedicate, and try not to "force" yourself to meet standards~ it will take a toll on you and Minecraft/Mineplex won't be as fun. Careful with procrastination, get all your real life work done before focusing on Mineplex(I sound like a parent). How about holding off on applying until you get a better sense of your school year and schedule? Sophomore also has important events like the PSAT which you might want to start studying for to prepare for the real SAT. Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions.

-College Freshmen in September

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Saker likes this.