• 342 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3809 Players Online
  • 3467 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Tips to save money on budget pc builds

Discussion in 'Technology' started by zEddie27, Jul 14, 2022.

1. 1. If buying an Intel CPU, get the one with the "f" suffix, the "F" means it has no integrated graphics, meaning if you use an i9 12900f and plug a HDMI into the motherboard, you will not get a display on the monitor, you will instead need to use a discrete graphics card.

2. Chipsets don't matter, motherboards with the "Z" prefix chipset are usually the most expensive, but chipsets don't really affect performance so something like a Q670 chipset would be much cheaper and give you no noticeable performance difference. so when on a budget, the motherboards with the "Q" and "H" prefix are usually cheaper

3. Look on different markets. Large retail stores like Newegg, amazon and Walmart will most likely gpu's at the msrp or above. But truthfully you can find some very good deals on places like eBay, offerup and Mercari. Some sellers on there may be sketchy, but you can definitely find a very good discount.

4. use an AMD card, kind of controversial but it's true, AMD graphics cards are much cheaper than Nvidia's and they're not that much worse. Many people do claim that AMD's drivers aren't optimized as well, and I don't use an AMD card, I use Nvidia, so I can't tell you if this is true, but even so, AMD cards are still good and high quality and you can get a great experience with them.

And don't buy cheap power supplies, by cheap I mean low quality. If you find a good deal on a power supply then you should look up the brand and make sure it's not a bad quality psu. Low quality power supplies fail, and can even explode. I recommend buying a power supply from either EVGA, ASUS, Corsair. even Dell and HP make good power supplies. Assuming you're on a budget you're probably not going to need more than 600 watts. Especially if you're using a budget gpu, (rtx 4050/3050) (rx 7600 xt/6600 xt)

Posted Jul 14, 2022
    LostShrimp13 likes this.
  2. I would suggest buying a good used one, it can't be challenging to find a good one, but search for one with good specs, and that isn't over 2 years old.

Posted Jul 14, 2022
    zEddie27 likes this.
  3. yup, and maybe people who are building a new pc might sell their used parts, or someone upgrding from a 3090 to a 4090

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 15, 2022
    LostShrimp13 likes this.
  4. I use an AMD card, soon want to upgrade to an RTX though, and I definitely agree they're better value for money but you do have to go through ages of pain when it comes to drivers. They're terrible and you have to do black magic to make sure they don't crash every day. Once you have the perfect version and DDU though, you're all good to go.

There are many forums around also that are made for those that want to buy a pc on the budget. A bunch of helpful, experienced people will pick all of the parts for you that fall within whatever budget you set. But that being said, you gotta be realistic with your expectations, and it's definitely worth saving up to get the newer parts rather than getting what's cheap only to have to upgrade it really soon because you can't run a recent game you really want to play.

PCs definitely don't have to be ridiculously expensive - just don't commit to full RGB and newest parts available, and understand what you need the PC for in order to budget around the most important parts to you.

Posted Jul 16, 2022
    zEddie27 likes this.
  5. Kinda funny how people spend 1000s on PC's when they could be spending it on a car, rent, or pretty much anything else. That's why I'll never get a gaming PC. Waste of money

Posted Jul 16, 2022
    zEddie27 likes this.
  6. I got my PC before I had a house or car, and I'm sure many others that have PCs are teenagers or young adults in the exact same position. Expensive PCs are also not only gaming PCs, some people use them for resource demanding work (such as modeling or design).

It's only a waste of money if you don't use it. The majority of people that get gaming PCs anyway don't just take away from their rent money...they save up like anybody else would for anything else that might be pricey, or they're teens/young adults that work, get money, and don't have to spend it on rent or cars yet, so they spend it on a PC and there is nothing wrong with that.

Posted Jul 16, 2022
    zEddie27 likes this.
  7. Oh yeah of course, quite frankly I couldn't care about anyone's financial position other than my own lol. And if they want to buy something then they can go ahead and do that, not my money

Posted Jul 16, 2022
    zEddie27 likes this.
  8. Something people mightn't be mindful of is that most hardware components will have a wattage value. So RAM, motherboard, GPU, etc.
    The power supply should try to meet the total wattage demand. Otherwise if it's insufficient, things may run slower. If it's too much, you may have to say goodbye to something - it can overheat, I believe.

If you look at RAM, you'll also notice things like DDR1, DDR2, DDR3 etc.. They're basically generations of RAM, later generations should be better. But obviously, more expensive.. You'll also find RAM sticks with more RAM to be more expensive than those with less RAM. However, for example, 1 16GB RAM stick could be cheaper than 2 8GB ones. If not in the short term, then in the long run, since you might want to upgrade in future.

So another thing to consider is upgrading; do you plan to do it?
    And to save potential trouble...buy from reputable brands and even read through reviews to determine good choices. Plenty of tech videos on YouTube too which explain things.

Posted Aug 4, 2022
    zEddie27 likes this.
  9. I don't have much experience with this myself, but my friend built a pc in middle school. If he can do that, I'm sure you can find a way to get parts for a fair price too.

Posted Aug 4, 2022