• 757 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11724 Players Online
  • 10967 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Thread locking

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by MikuChii, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Many forum mods tend to assume an issue has been resolved when it really hasnt. The biggest example I can give for this is the thread addressing a solution to teaming in ssm. As expected, many mods and trainee tryhards just said "just report". Many of us ssm players responded saying that it doesnt solve the issue since its easy to not get caught. But soon a sr mod locked the thread saying "the concern has been addressed, just report and teaming is no more" when it obviously wasnt what the OP was asking about nor intended with that thread. This also leads me to believe that mods only read one or two replies to the thread without reading the responses to them and then lock the thread because its been resolved.

In my opinion the rule about "you need to add a suggestion if you have a problem with something in the original post" should be removed. Not every question has a clear cut answer, and sometimes it should be the job of the community to provide solutions to help the poster. There are multiple threads where the OP didnt provide a solution which still had the same/more quality discussion than ones where they did, so I dont see how its a big deal.

About your response to my second post, Im talking about mods and trainee tryhards that post in this format.

"Hey,
    As [person above me] said,

(Unnecessarily wordy summary of what they said and adding no new ideas of their own)
    "

Also these kind of replies get more likes than the comment they copied which is also funny.

Posted Apr 21, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 21, 2021
  2. I haven't read every single previous reply, so apologies if this is repeating some of what's already been said, but from what I've seen around forums, I do wish threads weren't locked for lacking constructive criticism when, while the OP only listed problems, people in the replies have given potential solutions to the issue. I know it's OP's responsibility to follow forum guidelines, but there's usually a handful of other users who opine meaningfully on the topic, yet when the thread gets locked no one is inclined to keep discussing it. Seeing threads of similar topics to what you want to discuss get locked can be discouraging to people trying to get into discussions on forums.

The biggest issue with forums to me is that threads can get locked when the OP hasn't broken any rules. Threads can get locked for not promoting constructive criticism due to rude/inflammatory responses, which means the OP can't recreate that same thread because it's reversing staff action; instead, I think said replies should be deleted (which is possible on forums afaik) so that the OP's post (if it follows the guidelines) can stay open for further replies. I believe this is already possible, but it would be nice if staff are specifically taught to focus on pruning replies instead of locking the thread if the OP hasn't violated any forum guidelines. It does take longer, but will overall improve quality of discussion.

As for the complaints about rules being too strict and the filter, not only is that out of the hands of most mods (except for RC), but it's also not as big an issue in my opinion. I've seen countless arguments about why unfiltering certain swear words should be done because most players are in high school/college/whatever, and that the rules are to protect imaginary kids, but I don't see how being able to swear is the crux of enjoying playing on Mineplex. There are plenty of other platforms, such as Discord, where you can say whatever you want to your close friends, and saying them publicly on Mineplex forums (or in-game) isn't really needed. I personally don't want to read posts with tons of swear words in them on forums. I'm with @WowCaleb on that one. I think threads shouldn't be locked so expediently, but having things in your post that go against the guidelines is pretty much asking for them to get snipped.

Posted Apr 21, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 21, 2021
    SALB Music, Ruffybear and WowCaleb like this.
  3. Fair enough, thanks for going into it in more detail for me.

Can you link me to the thread you're talking about? I've indexed teaming and SSM together in thread posts and gone through all the recent ones, but I wasn't able to find it myself. If the thread did unfold in the manner you described, then I understand your concern. If there was any sort of suggestion involved then it should have been kept open for the community to discuss it, and a verdict should've been given by GI. If you can get ahold of it for me, I'll see what I can do.

Your second point makes sense too; that's actually something that isn't talked about a lot so it's interesting you bring it up. What would you think about being more lenient with that particular forums guideline (the one that basically says "you need to add a suggestion if you have a problem with something in the original post") or rewording it slightly rather than removing it altogether? I think the basis of the concept makes sense, because the OP should at least make it clear they're open to a discussion about how it can be improved, even if they can't come up with a suggestion themselves. The issue is when they're complaining just for the sake of complaining/bashing Mineplex and they don't actually care.

It can be obvious from looking at a thread whether the OP is encouraging what I just said, and in those scenarios the discussion needs to be monitored very carefully because what can happen is players follow the OPs lead. It may need to be locked in that case if nothing constructive comes out of it. But outside of that, I get what you're saying. If it was intended as a healthy discussion and the players in the replies are coming up with ideas, suggestions, resolutions - whatever it may be, then let them share them.

As for what you said about the repetitive messages from staff members, from your perspective I can see how it might look unprofessional. You said it's members of the moderation team who are doing this, which is information Staff Management could be interested in. Perhaps forum post quality could be monitored more closely? Obviously not to punish staff who do what you're describing - that doesn't really teach anything - but to encourage them to add on to their posts. Personally I try to do this and I think players appreciate it more if you even have one point someone else on the thread doesn't, or if you can showcase another perspective, etc.

Posted Apr 22, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 22, 2021
  4. your a very understanding staff member

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 22, 2021
  5. They deleted another of my posts here lmao

Heyyy ruffy :) been a while but tbh they’ve been locking threads for either very little reason or simply because they do not agree and I know it sounds like it couldn’t be the case but multiple people can’t be wrong when it keeps happening and only on certain topics aka the ones longtime players care about such as reset and the downward spiral of survival

Uhm no the snipped portion was a link to another post that was edited and changed after there was a bit of an issue there between a mod and the op

Posted Apr 25, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Apr 25, 2021
  6. I was talking about this snipped thing-

Posted Apr 25, 2021
  7. Ooo ok lol gotcha well tbh I appreciate the snip over getting it deleted or a msg that it’s innapropriate though if it’s abbreviated there isn’t really any way to prove the words I meant weren’t ok for the thread ;) regardless appreciate not having it removed

Posted Apr 25, 2021
  8. Alright, this thread has kinda gotten out of hand, but I love the input and I’m going to try to improve based on your feedback! All the threads I can personally lock are in the help section, but maybe after I think the issue is addressed I leave a little grace period before locking to insure it has been addressed? Maybe about a day?

Posted Apr 25, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 25, 2021
  9. Please dont lock this thread, not because of the funny context, but because its the first good discussion ive seen. It might be a little out of hand, but its still the longest thread ive seen that has not been locked, can we at least try for the record lol?

Posted Apr 25, 2021
    DaPBillk and Jet Starglaze like this.
  10. Nono I won’t lock this thread lol

Posted Apr 25, 2021
  11. Correction: stop locking threads that have potential to effectively criticize and discuss things about the server. I feel like a lot of modmen will answer a question, and lock the thread before the writer has time to respond or continue making conversation.

Posted Apr 25, 2021
  12. this whole thread locking thing also extends to the small skin threads period thing, where threads were locked for blatantly wrong reasons. even if the thread had valid responses, it would be locked for the same copy pasted response not addressing any of the issues brought up

Posted Apr 26, 2021
  13. Yes. How about this: if a mod answers a question they give some time, depending on how many reply/views the thread has, before locking it and if any new conversations start up, they dont lock it. Set up a system like with <10 views/replys lock immediately <50 1 day grace etc you get the idea

Posted Apr 27, 2021
  14. Alright ive given it some more thought and heres a more detailed explanation:
    If someone makes a thread, the mods look at it, and answer the question. Depending on how many reply's at the time, the mod will write a response like this:

Heres the answer to your question, (player) [answer],
    there are currently (number of reply's) , so i will give this a grace period (depending on reply's) before locking it.

The grace period time would look like this
    <5 reply - instant lock
    <20 1 day
    <50 3 days
    >50 7 days (a week)

If during this time someone were to add a question, or start a conversation related to the topic, the grace period is over and the thread will NOT be locked, till the question is answered.

If a thread is inactive for more than say, a month, it is locked, even if question is not answered.

If a thread turns into a flamewar:
    the mod will make a post saying that it is a flamewar, and give it a grace period like the example post i wrote above. If after that time it is still a flamewar, meaning people have replyed, and it has calmed down, then it will not be locked. If no posts are made during grace, a second grace is made. If after a week no more reply's are made, it is locked.

Now, what if people dont know what a flamewar is as an example?
    I propose this:
    A mod/staff will make a thread (For bedrock and java as 2 threads?) Stating what a flamewar is, how to not get into one, etc. It will also say how long a grace period will be depending on reply's, the one above was an example. The mods can make their own or use mine. This thread will basicly state all i have said here. It will NEVER be locked, and if a mod wrongly locked a thread, with the wrong grace period, players report it here. If it continues with the same mod, something will happen. If players have anything to add, change, or remove with the thread, they post it here as well. Mods will look into it, and if enough players like the post (Example: if a post gets 20 likes or more it is added) then the mods edit the post with the new changes. This way the rules are more flexible, but still easy to understand.

Well, thats my proposal. If you have a suggestion, let me know and ill add it to this post.

Posted Apr 29, 2021
  15. The goal of us locking help threads/answering and locking question-based threads is so there's less confusion as to what the correct answer is and providing fast customer service. We then add on to message us so they can get a correct answer without clutter of other people/potential confusion.

We already have a system for flame wars that I don't believe we are looking at changing anytime soon [here].

Posted Apr 30, 2021
  16. No one here is against locking threads asking for help which have a direct answer.

I think they are talking about stuff like suggestion threads which should be discussed further before being locked. My last comments shows the problems with discussion threads being locked.

Posted Apr 30, 2021
    Ducksicle and Fusafez like this.
  17. I dont really care what you do. I gave a suggestion, take it or leave it. If the community does not want it, dont do it. I am yet to see another answer to this issue, from players or mods. For better or worse, this is the only option i can come up with.

Posted May 1, 2021,
    Last edited May 1, 2021
    MaybeMulti likes this.
  18. i also dont cake i muffin

Posted May 1, 2021
    Jet Starglaze likes this.
  19. oops
    didnt catch that till now ummmm ill just edit that

Posted May 1, 2021
  20. Mineplex is so strict on their forums, their rules are silly and now watch because of me posting this I will most likely get a warning point.

Posted May 1, 2021