• 1148 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9882 Players Online
  • 8734 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Thread locking

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by Blazette, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Constructive criticism is such an overblown view from Mineplex since it is impossible to make change without criticism. All of this "constructive criticism" just gets shoved into the barren wastelands of forgotten forum threads and no one ever acts on the idea because the higher ups want to act on what they think is right, not what the community believes is right

I can list some examples but it would be considered "criticism".

Posted Apr 12, 2021
  2. Here’s a perfect example https://www.mineplex.com/threads/side-server.196233/#post-682023 and as I said before I would love to ask why some of my posts get deleted but they delete them without any reason or any name for me to be able to respond to and its not only me anyone who hasn’t seen how bad it can be please take a look at the link above the way we are been treated as players as customers as a community is unbacceptable

It’s so that they can tell us to -snip- and we aren’t welcome and make it so we can’t say anything back

Posted Apr 12, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Apr 12, 2021
    MaybeMulti likes this.
  3. That is a perfect example of something that should be brought to the attention of a CoM member (since it's in the ideas section) so that a better explanation can be posted. That is being done now.

I explained in a previous response on this thread that what happens on the forums is a result of what staff members (Admin and below) can try to do to help the community and the server. You're right, ultimately how Devs spend their time is up to Leadership who do not often directly reference the forums. That doesn't mean staff members should completely stop all efforts they're making to improve the community.

Posted Apr 12, 2021
    Vocaloiid and thawazp like this.

4. Thank you it’s really nice to at least be given the courtesy of a response that addresses concerns and one that doesn’t include telling us our opinions don’t matter the community isn’t allowed to discuss the server we all care very much about in the community forums that I thought were meant for exactly that, appreciate your time and care on a subject that has been very much effecting a lot of us

Posted Apr 12, 2021
    EpicEnderDragon1 and MaybeMulti like this.
  5. I can get behind this. Ultimately I believe the staff team is what helps the community, not the leadership

Posted Apr 12, 2021
  6. for some reason i got a confirmation message when trying to like OP's post, and when I like other posts there's no confirmation... seems like a coincidence but thought it was funny based on the thread's topic.

Posted Apr 15, 2021
    anna. and thawazp like this.
  7. Ikr they want to hide everything so they can tell us we are crazy and there’s no problem with thread locking or that community never once said they didn’t want a reset or complained about features being removed etc it’s all about controlling the narrative and making the players who care look like we are just taking things the wrong way or only want to have hacks among other things that no one ever said

That is strange was it like the “necro post” thing where they try and discourage anyone from talking about a topic because it’s past a certain amount of days? (Which makes no sense in the first place if there is relevant info to add, discussion to be had, and a need for people to see it)

Posted Apr 15, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Apr 16, 2021
    MaybeMulti likes this.
  8. Ok, yes. The community only sees it that way. The forum staff/moderators, actually have guidelines and rules to follow. They lock it for a reason. They wouldn't randomly lock it because it triggers them or they don't like it.

It has to meet certain requirements. You can't simply post something saying "All I said was this and they blocked it like what the heck". If you're going to complain about something, add a solution to the problem so it can get fixed. That's how you improve the community. By offering solutions, not just complaints.

Posted Apr 16, 2021
  9. Okay, there’s a lot of confusion here. I can see how this is very frustrating and I hope this helps a little bit!

Here are the reasons your thread might be locked (according to https://www.mineplex.com/rules/#wwwMpTabs-2—please note I’m not an FM):
    • The OP has deleted the original post. I think this makes a lot of sense, because it’s basically like saying the OP doesn’t want to be apart of this conversation anymore, despite making it.
    • The OP or staff member has requested a thread lock. This might happen for a variety of reasons but if it is requested the request is looked over first!
    • The thread has been necro-posted on. This goes with breaking rules.
    • The question/concern has been addressed. This is most seen in the help section of the forum, when a player asks a question. Once the concern does appear to be addressed the thread will be locked so us Mods can move onto the next question!
    • The OP breaks major forums rules; archive if OP is banned from that thread or if the thread is not fit for public viewing. I feel like this is pretty self explanatory but you can read these rules here.
    • The thread has turned into a flamewar. Basically if no one is having any positive discussion and instead they’re just fighting.
    • The thread contains hate on staff/community member/Mineplex written in a way that is not constructive or in a positive manner. Okay, so this one has the most room for debate. I would just like you all to remember that we sometimes have younger people reading these threads for whatever reason and we just need to make sure everything is family friendly. Constructive criticism is great, even encouraged, if a solution is proposed with it, but that last thing we want is someone in the community feeling personally attacked.
    • Threads that are about "I quit" or "I'm leaving". These threads are pretty useless and just waste time and space.
    • Threads that are directly attacking or criticising staff including but not limited to calling staff corrupt. This is pretty controversial to some but please just remember that staff can’t do everything! These threads usually don’t make valid arguments either.
    • Threads which are not titled appropriately (click-bait). I feel like this self-explanatory
    • Threads which are in violation of the forums guidelines. You can read the forum guidelines here!
    • Threads containing topics that have been brought up and discussed repeatedly. This is repetitive and just not useful. You can bring up a topic that is frequently talked about with a new idea or look on it, but if you’re repeating something that has already been addressed it will most likely be locked.
    • Any other threads that the forums staff deemed unnecessary or unfit for public viewing.
    • Threads that do not encourage (constructive, healthy) discussion within the community (as determined by the Forum Moderation team). As I’m not an FM member I don’t feel comfortable speaking on their behalf but there are many posts in this exact thread explaining this.

• I hope this helps a little bit. I know it can be frustrating to feel like your idea has been rejected, but I hope you can understand why your thread might’ve been locked.

Posted Apr 16, 2021
    thawazp, Fusafez, 20LeeBrian1 and 2 others like this.
  10. LOL this was also edited by a mod

Posted Apr 18, 2021
    MaybeMulti likes this.
  11. All that's being done here is merging posts so it makes the thread shorter and doesn't make whoever posted multiple times in a row have more posts than they should. We used to have a system that automatically merged posts, but has been broken for a while, so now we manually do it.

All that was done to this one was a snip of an abbreviation that is filtered and not allowed. The post was also merged, but it seems that when it was merged, for whatever reason, it decided to revert the post or something to a previous state? Either way, the post was not edited to have more stuff be added on or whatever intentionally and it kinda just appeared, but I can't fully tell where the random sentences came from (again, kinda looks like it might've been an original edit post that was later edited by thawazp?).

Now, you [LegoNick] can chill and stop commenting that as it doesn't contribute much/anything to this thread. If you have an issue with something done by a forum mod/forum mod assistant please contact an FM.

Posted Apr 18, 2021
    okRen, Ruffybear, Blazette and 3 others like this.
  12. Moderators work in a limited system where they don't have much control over what they can/can not lock. The set rules are given and their job is simply to moderate and enforce the rules. This is how it is on most servers. They didn't make the rules, and I'm 99% sure not all of them agree with all the rules that are put in place right now. They are simply doing their job and they're not to blame. Rules are hard to change and they're usually only within reach of a few members (RC) and I will admit that it is hard trying to make change in regards to the rules as a community member. There should be an official and exclusive place for community members to discuss rules and rule changes like the one you're making here.

Posted Apr 18, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 18, 2021
    Ruffybear and Fusafez like this.
  13. Ive only seen 3 or 4 snips ever, and ive read over 200 posts. Funny 2 of that 3 were in this thread, and the other was in a post about how we receive no updates. Thats all i was pointing out. Now, how many posts contribute nothing to threads? thousands at least. Its part of threads, at least what i said was relevant to the thread. Sometimes its not even that. I now ask, what has your post contributed? Im reluctant to ask, but in the end i decided to write this anyway. What could possibly go wrong. If a 'merged' post was all that happened, why was this not seen before? ive never heard about that or seen it happen. Why would you merge posts anyway? just set up a system to delete threads over a year old. That saves space, and ive been coding a month, and i can do that in my sleep.

Posted Apr 19, 2021
  14. It doesn't make sense to make your point based off the fact you haven't noticed it happening often. Let's take the fact you've only noticed three or four snips ever. That's you. Obviously the forums team are going to see it happening a lot more if posts with unsuitable content are reported and sent directly to them through the web reporting system. Now I could just as easily tell you I see snips on a much more regular basis - which I do. Just because you don't see it yourself doesn't mean it isn't happening. Moreover, you can't make a judgement based off your own (and seemingly limited) observations.

I don't understand the correlation between merging posts and deleting threads over a year old. Posts are merged when they have similar content and there's no point in it all being included separately. For example, when two threads are posted by the same user in the Help section back-to-back asking the same question. In the context of this thread, an example might be where short points are made over several posts on the thread instead of in one. The purpose is to keep the forums neater and tidier, and of course to make posts easier to read and interpret - not to free up space on the website. If this were an issue, I'm sure our web dev could code that system in his sleep as well.

Posted Apr 19, 2021
    Marzie likes this.
  15. Yea, its incredibly annoying when they edit your post just because there is an imaginary 5 year old roaming about on the server that they pretend to protect.

Posted Apr 20, 2021
    MaybeMulti likes this.
  16. How are you going to assume that a thread will promote discussion if you lock the thread before giving anyone a chance to comment on it. If a thread doesnt promote discussion, it will get inactive on its own.

Yea whats also funny is that mods will delete your posts for not adding to a discussion even though all they do is repeat what the person above them said.

Posted Apr 20, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Apr 21, 2021
    chungalunga likes this.
  17. Lol, that is so true.

Posted Apr 20, 2021
    Jet Starglaze likes this.
  18. No one said there’s an imaginary kid that needs to be protected. The whole point of enforcing this type of moderation is to keep the forums clean. if everyone could run riot and say whatever they pleased about the server, the staff team, or whatever it may be, there would be total anarchy. The line has to be drawn at some point. Posts are edited to keep them appropriate and for no other reason at all. Players are free to use their voice as long as they don’t break the rules/forum guidelines (which are clearly laid out). If they do, whose fault is that? When do we hold the person themselves responsible?

I’d be interested in hearing an example of when this happened as you seem to be speaking on account of multiple experiences.
    Remember threads that complain about something and demand change, but don’t feature any suggestions aren’t going to be skewed as ideas threads. As it’s not in the hands of CCO/GI, the forums team will take over and aim to address the concern. Once they have done so, closing the discussion is a reasonable move. If the OP hasn’t been constructive in their post, that doesn’t exactly encourage others to be in the replies below. They typically follow the OPs lead, and the thread either turns into a flame war or a bashing session against Mineplex. Ironically that ends up being the exact opposite of bringing about change.

As for the second quote, it’s important how you express yourself. Someone could repeat the same idea as the person above them but fail to be constructive or even break rules in the process. This is such an oddly specific scenario, though, that I’d be interested in seeing an example to back up this claim too. I’ve tried my best to understand everything you said, but ultimately I think I’ll need something to go on for all aspects of your above posts if I’m to provide a full response.

Posted Apr 20, 2021
  19. I used my most recent mute as an example of how garbage the punishment system is. And i quoted the exact sentence that got me muted just so everyone could understand what im saying. The sentence contained a word 4 year olds use to call their private parts which is the one that the staff found incredibly inappropriate that it must have been edited out so they did the cringy "-snip-" thing. And for the imaginary 4 year old. The rules of this server are made to protect an imaginary kid, and the staff always say "ooh, there might be a kid that gets influenced by your behaviour", even though kids that you are pretending to protect haven't ever heard of this server because it is so dead.

Posted Apr 21, 2021
  20. I don't know why you keep using the word imaginary. Our audience is made up of young kids, teenagers, and adults. I agree there aren't a lot of children on Java compared to Bedrock, but they still exist. And most of it isn't even about them because the rules aren't only protecting them, they protect everyone. Why are there rules anywhere? To prevent anarchy, as I mentioned in my post above. If there aren't boundaries, there's no limit on what you can bypass. For example, the abbreviation you used - that's just another way of saying the actual word. If we allowed it, then you could just use that abbreviation in replacement to convey the same meaning of your sentence. The abbreviation on its own isn't as bad, sure, but used in context it isn't any better or worse than the filtered word.

As for why the actual words are filtered in the first place, that's much more straightforward. It would create total chaos, plain and simple. I was shocked the first time I was on the server when the filter went down. You had tier one, which was players in each lobbies throwing out your typical four-letter words. That was still hard enough to deal with on its own. But then you had the second tier of players who thought it was acceptable to throw out temporarily unfiltered slurs and aim them at people. I'm not clueless, I know players can be bad - but that was something else entirely. With that in mind, I'll leave it to you to imagine what players would do without a cap on even the most minor of swears.

We'll take the kids out of the equation for a moment. Even with that, we can't let something slide on the off-chance it's going to be used in a harmless manner - like allowing the abbreviation you used. There are ways someone can use that in a sentence - towards anyone - which are not okay. It's blatantly obvious why not, and why a punishment is justified. But we can't let you away with it and punish them. Just because you used it in a less harmful way doesn't mean you should get off scot-free - and that's why it's not allowed in any context. Consistency is so important in punishments.

Maybe kids should be protected from those words on their own, but is it not true that everyone needs to be protected from how they can be used?

Posted Apr 21, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 21, 2021
    Ruffybear likes this.