• 1831 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6321 Players Online
  • 4490 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

thread locking v2.0

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by ole, Apr 18, 2019.

1. hi again chiefs. been a while since this acc happened but I've procrastinated making a thread about it up until now so yeet.
    in the past I've had multiple threads locked because either (1) my bloody nonexistent concerns have been addressed or (2) the concerns would've been easier to address through a DM to some high-up staffer. threads where I w (1) would've appreciated if a discussion found place at all, n w (2) would've preferred if the discussion was public. realising these should've been two separate threads oOPS but I'll try to split it up a tad

w (1) facts are honestly as simple as that when one [quite so often in a hypocrite manner] address rethorical questions n thereby lock the threads that does not actually address a single one of OPs concerns

w (2) the issue comes down to (a) transparency and (b)the function of these forums.

(a) let's say I have an issue w the fact that **** is censured. I don't understand why **** is censured, nor do I believe it's fair. I make a thread about ****'s censuredness, and so if we're still operating by the same practices as a month ago my thread would be locked and I would've been told to DM Jarvis. however, ladies and gentlemen, if I dm jarvis, that'd not only exclude the entire rest of the community from a discussion about the rules - or w another topic perhaps even the fundaments of this network. it'd also make the process for these people to learn the facts harder.

(b) if all discussions are supposed to be 1v1 in discord dms, what really is the point of these forums (except forum games)? AND LOOOOOL NOW PLEASE DON'T TELL ME WE HAVE THESE FORUMS TO DISCUSS STUFF ON AND LOCK THE THREAD LIKE LAST TJME BEVAUSE THAT SURE AS **** AINT HELPFUL

Posted Apr 18, 2019,
    Last edited Apr 23, 2019
  2. I personally think staff lock thread a little to fast sometimes, sometimes staff misinterpret what a thread is about and lock it before consulting another staff or another user. I feel like there needs to be standards within the staff team that prevent against this.

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    ole likes this.
  3. What are the chances this will be locked because the other one was and you created a thread to continue on one that was locked

Too fast

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    ole likes this.
  4. That would be abuse. His concern has legitimate grounds and needs to be addressed by the community. Not in private. If staff abuse keeps getting brushed under the rug that is bad.

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    ole likes this.
  5. Sometimes they do lock a little too early. Concern addressed is one of those that occurs a little too early. Yes, the forums is to discuss Mineplex as a community whether that be an idea or an opinion on the server.

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Acerna and ole like this.
  6. I censure your use of "censure" to mean "censor"

Aside from that yeah, discussion of rules should probably be on forums. Community should weigh in, plus discussing anything regarding rules with Jarvis over pms or dms or whatever we call them these days has not been satisfactory in my experience.

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    ole likes this.
  7. I appreciate it chief

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 21, 2019
    Fall likes this.
  8. I definitely agree with what you're saying.

1) I've come across multiple threads that illustrate your concern with it, and I believe it is a result of over-willingness to lock a thread and perform their 'forum moderation' duties. Nowadays I feel some forum staff are too quick to close a discussion, as it's the easier thing to do, rather than attempt to analyse it a bit further to actually understand the OP's concerns. The entire lock reason of 'concern/question addressed' is overused now and is stopping some good discussions from taking place. My only proposal for this is to spend more time and don't jump to conclusions so fast. A concern by the OP, even if it was answered, can still create relevant conversation on how to improve that aforementioned concern, instead of just saying this is why it is how it is, end of discussion - that benefits no one.

2) I've also seen this around the place, and I agree - discussions and development of ideas and opinions shouldn’t be limited to DMs. Firstly, taking the discussion to DMs limits the decision-making to only the viewpoint of those two people involved which typically results in a less-informed conclusion to be reached. There is an evident lack of public opinion - no matter how the user manages to express the relevant viewpoints, they're always going to be from the perspective of that singular person. Therefore, it cannot be generalised to cover the opinions of the entire player base which is a big issue in decisions.

Furthermore, a limited discussion such as this increases the likelihood of false information being spread. If you can hear something from a random guy instantly, but have to go through the effort or redirecting the conversation to DM and then wait a long time for a response, it is unlikely you'd go through the effort of getting the reliable information at all. In addition, if you were to chose the latter, you’ll have likely week/s to create your own conclusions and information to share with others.

From a practical approach, it also strikes me as quite time consuming to respond to each individual through DMs, as opposed to making a public statement. I understand that interacting with the people might not be the most important aspect of some Mineplex admin positions, and that it could potentially be a time consuming task, but as ole says, I suppose it all comes down to what we want these forums to be.

Posted Apr 23, 2019
    ole likes this.
  9. I have to agree with you in a few ways. Being a current Forum Moderator, I can admit that I’ve done this. I’ve locked threads a little too early, as it was difficult to understand wether or not it was reasonable to stay unlocked. Most of the time the thread is very close to being unfit for the forums, and if it’s heading in that direction; it can be easier to just lock it sooner; which isn’t a good thing.

In my opinion, however, I feel our rules and guidelines can be a little strict. At the end of the day, we’re just here to make sure that the forums are safe and made for discussion; not arguing. Often times, we have to lock a thread, or else we will be breaking our guidelines; which is worse than ignoring it.

I can whole heartedly understand your concerns, and I’m constantly working to improve my attitude to the forums and the way I deal with threads. I can’t speak for the team, but I know that we’re all open to opinions and helping us improve in any way we can.

Posted Apr 23, 2019
    Ender Rivka and ole like this.
  10. Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one that realizes this. The rules are super strict here. If I were to commit every single offence on my punishment history on any other server, my punishment history would be clean. I like how the rules are strict, but sometimes they can be too strict.

Posted Apr 23, 2019
    Acerna and ole like this.
  11. unfit threads are unfit and shouldn't exist imo, and that's not the threads I'm talking about :))

presuming you actually mean "can be" not "should be" I agree. Glad to see we have common ground in wanting the forums to be made for discussions, but if these guidelines are in the way for that perhaps they could be changed ??

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 23, 2019
    happilycam likes this.
  12. I agree with this. I understand if someone's asking a question and people are just replying the exact same thing over and over again, but if people are replying a variety of things then the thread is not yet resolved.

For the DM thing, I don't like that one either. It's better if everyone on the thread can talk to that person, not just the OP. Instead of you being forced to contact them, they should read the thread and reply.

Posted Apr 24, 2019
    ole likes this.