• 414 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6076 Players Online
  • 5662 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Thoughts on level based matchmaking on CW?

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by RiceKrisper124, Apr 12, 2021.

?

Thoughts?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

46.7%
  3. Maybe

13.3%
  1. I had a similar idea (that I never posted) for The Bridges; matching players based on levels; 0-19, 20-39, 40-59, 60-79, 80-100. I won't get into full and complete detail as I don't think it would work at all especially nowadays with the current amount of players and other flaws around it.

On the surface, I like the idea of matchmaking based on levels but digging deeper, it doesn't work in my opinion. I don't want to repeat anything said here, but reasons why;

- Player count: Not enough players to support this, might lead to complications revolving around less games actually being played, which may lead to people becoming impatient that games would never start (not enough players) which may also lead to a level of dissatisfaction.

- Alternate accounts: Again, like I stated, I had a similar idea. It just never came to fruition because at the time I thought of it, the population of the server currently would not support it at all. The flaws I see and what others have mentioned here is players essentially bypassing this and using alts (which I've seen quite often) and thinking on that; you could very well see a level 80+ player using an unlevelled alternate account.

- Levels don't always equal skill: You can easily tie this into the above concern I'd have for this but I don't think levels necessarily reflect on skill of a particular game. If an individual who is level 50 got most of their levels from a game unrelated to PvP (Draw My Thing), that level may not necessarily mean they're going to be as good as someone else who is level 50 and got most of their levels from Cake Wars or a PvP related game.

I like the idea, but I just don't think it would work right now and there are too much flaws revolving around it.

Posted May 18, 2021
    Pillowbro likes this.
  2. I could see this being added if Mineplex could get way more players on there Java server. Right now it does not have enough players to do it.

Posted May 18, 2021
  3. Yeah as you said, it shouldn't be based on levels. Your MP level doesn't represent your skill level. There are many lvl 100's that aren't good at pvp and they just want to have fun not play against tryhard parties.

A better idea could be using something like an elo system, but MP playerbase isn't enough.

Posted May 21, 2021
  4. With a bit of modification, this shouldn't require a higher player count at all.

Say there are 10 people in the queue for CW. This is only enough to fill one lobby, so there won't be any skill-based matchmaking - everyone would be put in the same round together.

However, say there are 32 people waiting for a game. The server should list every player in order of wins / levels / kdr / whatever, and the top 16 people should be put in the same game. The next 16 players would join a round together, and so on and so forth.

To avoid splitting up parties, there are multiple options, such as getting the person in the party who is highest on the matchmaking list, and forcing everyone else in the party to be right next to them on the list. However, other people could probably find a better system.

This would not require a different set of servers, and it would not have any issues with lower player counts (provided there are enough people to start one game). There are other issues with a skill-based matchmaking system, but at least this would work with lower player numbers.

Posted May 22, 2021
    Name Tag likes this.