• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6870 Players Online
  • 6870 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Thoughts on level based matchmaking on CW?

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by RiceKrisper124, Apr 12, 2021.

?

Thoughts?

1. Yes

36.6%
  2. No

48.8%
  3. Maybe

14.6%
  1. I personally would like it but understand there would be a small percentage of smurfs playing.

Posted Apr 12, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  2. Hi there,

I feel like this could be a nice change to help balance games. The only potential problems I see with this would be the select few smurfs, which is unavoidable of course, but also the low player count. Mineplex isn't as populated as it used to be and it's already hard enough to get into games without level-based matchmaking, so if implemented incorrectly, skill-based matchmaking could make it nearly impossible to get into games at certain times. That being said, if the developers were able to find a good balance between close level ranges and reasonable numbers of players in each group, I could definitely see this being beneficial!

EDIT: After thinking about it some more, I actually disagree with the implementation of level-based matchmaking for many reasons, including:

- the fact that Mineplex level does not ultimately determine CW skill.
    - complications when it comes to playing with friends of different level ranges.
    - Mineplex's lower player count.
    - the fact that you need to be exposed to better players in order to improve yourself.
    - the resulting increase in toxicity between different level groups within the community.

Posted Apr 12, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 15, 2021
    RiceKrisper124 likes this.
  3. I think this is an interesting idea, but as you mentioned smurfing would become a problem worth addressing, unlike how it is now. If you were to divide the levels into categories such as 1-19, 20-39, 40-59, 60-100 which would most likely be the ideal level placements, even with the extended upper level lobbies, the upper level lobbies would still most likely have the same players meeting each other over and over again, which could be annoying to some people. Another problem with this idea would be the party system. Lets say a party's lobby was decided by what the highest level in the party was, to prevent the higher level of 60 for example from joining lower level lobbies. What would happen to the level 0-10 party members that are in the higher level lobby? The way I see it, it would be difficult for that party to enjoy a game together if level based matchmaking was a thing. Also, adding this would create a whole nother aspect to leveling in general. If I was bad at the game, right, and I could maybe win a round of cake wars in the 0-19 level range about every 20 games, yet I played a lot of speed builders and was going to reach level 20 very soon, I would be very scared to gain xp because I love playing cake wars but if I leveled up one more time, I would never be able to win again as I would be joining the 20-39 level lobbies. Level based matchmaking would completely change how players look at leveling entirely. Unless someone can come up with a solution to solve the problems I mentioned, I dont think level based match making should be implemented.

Posted Apr 12, 2021
    RiceKrisper124 likes this.
  4. Yeah I get that, it was just like the basic idea of level based matchmaking. Great points

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 12, 2021
  5. Alts obviously but like if someone mains another game and is a high level and comes to cw for the first time, they going to get wrecked.

Posted Apr 12, 2021
    Tanish_, CursedPvPYT, Fusafez and 2 others like this.
  6. Bhoppers would be in games with new players, and if the new players keep getting bhopped on, they won't continue to play on Mineplex, then there won't be any new players to verse. Mineplex loses more players.

Posted Apr 12, 2021
    Tanish_ and breetzy like this.
  7. thats kinda already happening anyways though instead of bhoppers its just smelly people with auto clickers and kb modifiers

Posted Apr 12, 2021
  8. This honestly doesn't help I play on alts a lot to avoid w/l sniping and I can see how it would be unfair to actual low levels if they add this. I think they should base it on w/l and not levels or wins.

Posted Apr 13, 2021
  9. i just don't think this would work out well. i have friends who aren't the same level as me, so how am i supposed to play with them? most people on mineplex end up playing with their friends, and if you separate matches by levels, you'll end up with people being upset. not to mention, most hackers use alts, so newer players would have to fight hackers which would discourage them from playing. overall, just not a good idea. i get the idea, but mineplex just doesn't have a big enough population to separate people. mineplex is a tight community, and any form of separation would just divide it more. if you really want to play cake wars, i recommend either dodging lobbies or playing CW2 as most sweats tend to go for CW4.

Posted Apr 13, 2021
  10. this one word speaks more than enough

Posted Apr 13, 2021
  11. -1

Please no. Overall level isn't an indicator of CW skill; I'd never win a CW game if this was added. People often have main games that aren't CW, which would lead to them having a high level that has nothing to do with CW or PVP skill.

Posted Apr 13, 2021
  12. Hello!

I don't think level-basing CW would be a good idea, due to it influencing people to buy new Minecraft alt accounts and dominate the lower-level player base. Additionally, as stated a few times above, there are many ways higher leveled players get to their high levels. For example, a friend grinds the holiday games and gets most of his xp through those games, while racking up a lot less xp in yearly-played games. In hindsight, level-basing a popular game would be nice, but would not be idealistic down the road.

Thank You!
    TigerGoesGrr

Posted Apr 19, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  13. requires more players

Posted Apr 19, 2021
    Dulciloquy likes this.
  14. I appreciate where this is coming from, but I don't think it would work on our server. Currently, high skilled parties of CW players already "lobby dodge" when an equally matched team is put up against them, which to me shows that skilled players don't really want a challenge in many cases. High skilled teams seem to want to play easy games against lower players as the satisfaction of winning is greater than the stress of an equally matched team. I understand that "pub stomping" is super frustrating for new players and often unfair, but that's just the dynamic it's settled into and I can't really see a viable fix for that.

Second reason being, some high level players already use alternate accounts so they're not targetted. This means someone could gain thousands of wins on their main account, but just switch to another account if they want easier wins. People above have said level doesn't always equal skill level, and that's one reason why.

Last main reason would be lack of players, which has been expressed above. In order to match with people around your level, it would be necessary to have enough different players in the same level bracket to start individual games, which is not possible at all times of the day.

Posted Apr 19, 2021
    Blazette likes this.
  15. Never understood why players wouldn't wanna fight other skilled players but instead beat on noobies, how is there satisfaction in doing that lol.

Posted Apr 19, 2021
  16. easy wins mainly

Posted Apr 19, 2021
  17. Exactly its so boring to just have to fight noobs because all the good players left. Its more entertaining to have a challenge, even if i lose.

Posted Apr 19, 2021
    Unsympathetic likes this.
  18. -1
    It would then feel like ranked bed wars. Pretty much Ranked Bedwars involves two teams of four players (4v4) versing each other in a private game until one team is victorious. Players in the winning team gain elo, and move up a division/tier when they hit the milestone requirement. Those in the losing team lose elo, and possibly drop a division/tier. Seeing that not all players are good at CW, it would take 50+ a lot longer to queue.
    :bedrock:
    Good idea and observation tho!
    FlamezMC

Posted May 18, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  19. First things first, it should be determined by CW win ratio, not Mineplex level.

Under the right conditions, this would work. But unfortunately, Mineplex is perpetually cursed with low player counts, so it's gonna take a while for a game to start if they do this.

Another problem is, smurfing. You already mentioned this. I don't play cw, so I'm not aware of the current state of this problem. I don't know how many high level people have a low level alt account. If a few of them have one alt account, then it's not too bad, like it's probably gonna rank out of the lower-tier groups pretty fast. I'm also not sure how many of these people would want to waste their money on more than three accounts. I think smurfing would be less of a problem than the current "tryhard" problem is right now, unless this drives the players at the top to purchase more minecraft accounts.

And now, onto my 3rd problem. After reading some other cw threads, it's become obvious that a lot of higher players despise the idea of playing with people with a similar skill level. They would rather stomp casual lobbies and they dodge every time they see another party that is just as good. This isn't healthy for the game. A lot of higher up players just don't want a challenge, which I think is kinda cheap. But new players are challenged in every match. I truly don't think the ranked thing is a bad idea- we have ranked stuff in real life too, especially in sports. Mineplex isn't really a sport (unless you're one of those people who takes it too seriously) but it's kinda the same concept.

So yes, I am in favor of a ranked system, but I am also aware of the fact that it can't be implemented until Mineplex has a higher player base, which kinda sucks.

Posted May 18, 2021
    Fusafez and FlamezMC like this.
  20. Because they care more about farming XP and wins more than they care about the community. They just act like they're so much better just because they play every day, but at the same time, they're deliberately avoiding people of equal skill level and going after the new players. That's just being cheap and most of them keep on denying that there is a problem with it. They just expect all of these new players to git gud, just like that. (Although if the new players actually did get better, then the same "tryhards" would start to avoid them.) But anyways, I seriously doubt that the new players are gonna make progress if they are getting annihilated 1 minute after the game starts. They need a chance to play against people of similar skill level first, so that they can at least figure out how the game works and maybe not feel completely worthless.

Posted May 18, 2021