• 2498 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12813 Players Online
  • 10315 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

This hack client needs to be addressed (bedrock)

Discussion in 'MCO/Bedrock Discussion' started by akeyfortyseven, Feb 3, 2020.

1. For one, I decided to start playing mineplex on bedrock again.

Now to what matters:

Some of you might be familiar with the fact that the anticheat is either nonexistent, relies on staff members, or bans people for spectating (my friend who spectates me after he dies always gets kicked for “hacking”, but it doesn’t happen to me). Even on java, people are joking about how if you click fast enough, you will get banned while actual hackers do not get banned (even if not using a fast clicking method or autoclicking, just the fact that they have irregular clicking patterns).
    With that aside, mineplex lacks the staff needed in order to monitor possible hackers due to the lack of anticheat. That needs to be changed. As some of you who play on windows 10 might know, the current most popular hack client is -snip-, a client that is designed for ease of use for cheaters.
    As a side note, I will refer to possible cheaters as “hackers”, even though cheater is the correct term. Hackers are the developers of these clients, but I will address the cheaters as hackers to minimize confusion.
    As you may infer, the java version of Minecraft is much more popular Amongst developers, giving a very basic code language that developers can utilize. Bedrock, which is coded in C++, utilizes a code language more friendly to modern developers, hence why Nvidia is working on the bedrock client for the highly anticipated “ray-tracing” update. C++ allows for much more in depth work, which large studios can afford to spend time on. Java allows everyday joes to work on a basic platform easy to mod.
    However, a small developer group was able to code -snip-, a Windows 10 only hack client. While they are usually a few days late when it comes to updating the client to work with new versions (as seen through their discord), they are able to keep a client that is unidentifiable by anticheat clients and gives people the ability to spawn in items, blatantly hack without triggering the anticheat, and modify in game items. Hackers who are using items with sharpness xxx or are putting end portal frames around are probably using this client. There are many tutorials on how to do basic actions within the client and if a person does at least 5 minutes of learning the ropes, they can effectively use the client well.
    Now, knowing that high-ranking players and mods on bedrock love to “test” bugs and features (more like exploit, check out Net’s videos showing the exploitation of the invisibility bug and afk grinding), it seems unlikely that there will be a (significant) update that will block out this client. This will lead to more clients in the future as hackers in the future (or updates to the existing -snip- client at a minimum) update the clients to add them to much more powerful next generation consoles, personal computers, and mobile devices.
    I am here to tell mineplex to stand up, and telling the players to join as well. I cannot predict the future, only hope for a better one. If mineplex adheres to this threat to the bedrock servers, it only stands to gain. Mineplex needs to update the anticheat. Hackers will always be one step ahead, but servers can always make life more difficult for such hackers. That is all that I ask for. A decent anticheat that will hinder the progress of hack clients.

-akeyfortyseven

Posted Feb 3, 2020,
    Last edited by a Moderator Feb 4, 2020
    NothinButNet likes this.
  2. That was beautifully true ;)

Posted Feb 4, 2020
    NothinButNet likes this.
  3. But who is net?

Posted Feb 4, 2020
    NothinButNet likes this.
  4. Hello there,
    Sorry for such a delayed response. For starters, I'm so happy that you've returned to the Bedrock network. It's always good to see the community grow and I'm so glad that you've created this thread so I can assist you with some of your concerns as an experienced Bedrock player. I've been playing on Bedrock since it was released, back when it was called Minecraft: PE. I've been through the good, the bad and the ugly but let's set that aside and address your concerns.

Mineplex Anti-cheat/Staffing
    Mineplex Java and Bedrock servers have an anti-cheat named GWEN. GWEN was released back in 2016 which was fairly recently. Just like any anti-cheat, GWEN has some issues but they are usually resolved by the Quality Assurance team. The anti-cheat is not non-existent, you've probably seen GWEN targetting a user in-game as a circling swarm of Guardians. GWEN is used to assist staff members, not do their jobs for them. Yes, GWEN does false ban at times and has false checks but as I said earlier in my response, they are resolved fairly quickly by the Forum Ninjas and Quality Assurance members. Back in the summer of 2019, Mineplex hired a developer to focus solely on GWEN but he resigned shortly after joining the team. GWEN is currently being maintained by Mineplex's QA and AlexTheCoder, as far as I'm concerned. On the Bedrock server, there are a small number of community moderators but they are trying their best. All servers have hackers, it's unfortunate but it's not unusual. To help with cracking down on cheaters on the server, feel free to collect evidence and report them at https://www.mineplex.com/reports and if you're interested in helping the moderation team, apply for Bedrock trainee at https://www.mineplex.com/applicationform/trainee-application-bedrock.9/

Hack Clients
    Client developers have more resources and a larger community to help with exploiting servers and the Minecraft game. Mineplex has a small team of developers and releasing an update for every exploit/cheat can become tiring and repetitive because client developers will always find a way to bypass it. Yes, C++ does allow "modern" developers to exploit easier but that's on a very limited amount of devices. Mineplex doesn't own the Bedrock engine, Mineplex utilizes it while Microsoft owns it. Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company and Minecraft may be one of their best projects and I'm sure they're working on fixes to the exploit modification issue but for now, you can always report the rule breakers with using the link above. If you suspect any players have used hacks to boost their stats, you should definitely report it with evidence though rather than suspicion. As I've also said above, any server you hop onto. There will be hackers, they are apart of gaming culture and Mineplex's team cannot single handily control the problem. As community members, we can assist them by reporting cheaters, reporting exploits and much more.

Closing Remarks
    Thank you for the amount of time you've spent on this response and raising awareness about the widespread issue of cheaters. From a developer standpoint (I've worked on a PE server hosting software), there cannot really be a client-side fix unless Mineplex tries to create a Windows 10 client such as Badlion Client but I'm not sure if that's possible due to the limitations on Bedrock. There are also several other devices that use the Bedrock engine so that the client wouldn't really fix issues unless you are a Windows 10 player. I'm sure Mineplex is making improvements to GWEN every day, we just have to be patient. If you would like to speak more about this topic, feel free to private message me or reply on this thread and I'll try to reply as soon as I can. Once again, thank you for creating this thread and I hope you enjoy your time on Bedrock despite the issues with hackers. Remember, you can always report hackers on the website @ www.mineplex.com/reports

Posted Feb 6, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  5. Mineplex has wanted to improve the anti-cheat, however, there is currently a lack of developers so right now they are focusing on pushing out new updates. It is also difficult to find qualified candidates to become a developer so that is why there is not more developers. Furthermore, I do not feel like Mineplex is understaffed. They have around 100 people total on their staff team and they are accepting new trainees often. However, making reports will assist the staff in reducing the number of hackers. You may do so at https://mineplex.com/reports or /report in-game.

Posted Feb 6, 2020
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP
    x

Yeah lets just feed people information on how to hack. Great thread now expect more hackers. Oh what rudeness Im displaying!

Posted Feb 6, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  7. Hello,

Yes the bedrock anti cheat is not as sophisticated as the Java anti cheat. The bedrock GWEN can only really detect if someone is flying. Personally when I die I have never seen nor got banned by GWEN. I suppose I am lucky. As for the hacked clients, Mineplex currently does not have an anti cheat developer. Also I believe you are referring to toolbox which is a very common hack client that players can get from the google play store or apple store. If any one is considering getting toolbox, do not because it ruins the game experience for the players who play the game honestly. This hacked client is primarily designed to be a tool that players can use in their worlds. The server hosting software that Mineplex uses currently can not prevent toolbox from being used. On many other servers toolbox does not work at all. Recently I have encountered some players who say they have seen players with custom made hacked clients. Now if Mineplex were to hire an anti cheat developer any significant changes made would have to be approved by Mojang. As for the time being we have amazing staff members who make sure no hacker goes unpunished. We as players can help out staff by reporting hackers and dupers to https://mineplex.com/reports. We can also share any information we find out about a players hacked client so the developers could find ways to counter act it. These are just some ways of how we can help our amazing server!!

~Degagelemming95

Posted Feb 6, 2020
  8. I am Net, Invisible Glitch has been patched though so that’s ok
    This is for bedrock ):

Posted Feb 6, 2020
    Tamman (Alt) likes this.
  9. Oh hi then net

Posted Feb 6, 2020
    NothinButNet likes this.
  10. I mean I'm pretty sure the fact that Mineplex still isn't hiring an anti-cheat dev for either platform in the job sections is also limiting the amount of anti-cheat developers *cough*

And as for the rest of the thread, I don't have much to say. Java GWEN is okay-ish, Bedrock GWEN is not. We need a developer to fix this, but Mineplex has forgotten to hire one, so I don't really think this thread can accomplish much ._. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and also since Bedrock is written in C+++ (a hard programming language to learn) there are much less Bedrock devs globally than there are Java devs. There's a limited pool of good Bedrock developers.

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    Glummes likes this.
  11. I would like to apply for an anti cheat developer position if it was offered. I have some extensive experience in anti cheat but it would be very unlikely that they would hire a 14 year old. Our currently developers are doing a pretty good job!!

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    KerbalBoy likes this.
  12. Greetings!

While the Bedrock Anti-Cheat doesn't seem to work half the time it does get rid of cheaters 1/4 of the time. The Anti-Cheat also doesn't rely on staff to tell it who to kick or not to kick. The Anti-Cheat will notify a Staff member if a player is hacking and then we can go watch them. If they are cheating. We will remove them from the game as fast as possible. The Bedrock Staff team has around 12-13 members. We gain somewhere between 3-8 thousand players a day. If you ever find a rule breaker you can report them over at www.mineplex.com/report where a Bedrock RP member will take care of it from there. You can also find a Staff member in Lobbies 1-5. If I recall correctly the only reason that players can spawn items is that bedrock handles items on the client-side instead of the server-side. There could be a very easy way to fix this but I'm not a developer so I don't know. Net's video shows an old bug that was fixed a couple of weeks back. The bug was caused due to an update they did to the skin system on Mineplex. That has been fixed and that is why we still have white skins.

"High-Ranking Players" are community members who have joined certain teams to help improve Mineplex Bedrock and Java. They are most likely QaT members or Community QA like @ImFirewalker . If we were to make the anti-cheat like a java anti-cheat innocent players would be banned and kicked for no good reason. Bedrock is weird with how everything is handled which is why currently our Bedrock Anti-Cheat does little work against new hacked clients. If you have any more questions don't be scared to DM me on Discord or on the website!

~ GuardianInASuit | Your Friendly Mineplex Guardian ​

Posted Feb 8, 2020
    NothinButNet likes this.