• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9751 Players Online
  • 6861 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

the help section

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by SomeRqndomName, Jun 29, 2020.

1. not bashing anyone here (and omg how much i could relate lol),

just sliding over here and saying, damn that gets filledup quick

got a notif (forgot to turn them off from when i was staff) and went to check it out and within 30 seconds - boop it's locked!

i get staff have quotas (and yea that incls. help section and i could totally relate lol - i feel y'all so much) but idk, maybe leave it a couple hours before responding, gives people a with a wider range of knowledge to reply, rather than someone coming in within 20 seconds and locking the thread so they could reply idk

give it a few hours, let some1 reply and y'know maybe a wider range of people could reply idk, instead of going

answer answer etc

i feel y'all and ik quotas are there and no one does it out of spite, they just want to get by with their quota and i understand and i did the same lol, but maybe it could be considered to slow the response times down a little for the sake of allowing more varied opinions or something? idk just something to think about :)

(sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

cheers

tobyyyyyyyyyyy

Posted Jun 29, 2020
  2. I must agree with you here, I often see threads in the help section get locked in a matter of seconds when a player's concern hasn't properly been responded to. In many of these situations the answers do appear to be rushed, fairly vague and feel like a pasted response.

However, with all of that being said, it isn't too difficult for the player to create a new thread if they don't feel that their concern has been answered. Most of the moderators who lock threads also leave a message, saying that the person is welcome to start a conversation with them if they have any additional questions. Though I do think is preferable to give top service the first time around.

I guess I should also add that if threads were left open for longer periods of time, then that could lead to people repeating information when it isn't needed. It would be nice to see more moderators leaving certain threads open though, if their responses could do with some expanding or a player is looking for more in-depth assistance.

Posted Jun 29, 2020
    Gardening_Tool and okDamien like this.
  3. Hey!

I think both you and @naete made really good points here. To start off, Most of the time when a Forum Moderator locks a thread it's because the answer has been completely answered, and does not require further discussion. Now, have I seen thread's there that have been locked before fully answering the question? Absolutely, and this is something that I think the Forums could benefit from if this was furthermore prevented. Although I am not a FM it is one of the subteams I am really passionate about and I hope to join one day, and as a staff member our job isn't just to ban hackers, it's to make the network as a whole a better place, and I think this is an important issue to fix as the help section tends to have newer players posting on it. These players are being met with their first impression of the forums in some cases, so I believe this really important. Now with this, I don't think we should over fix the issue. The help section is for getting your question answered, not having a discussion veer off-topic. As @naete said, they can always make a new thread for further discussion. Overall, I think this should be approved upon and in the future, as sometimes the final answer is not the best answer when it comes to these threads.

Posted Jun 29, 2020
    Jxliee likes this.
  4. I don't think it's necessarily about the quotas, it's about getting our player base quick and efficient answers to their concerns. The Help section isn't a place for opinions, there's usually just one right answer that a player might be looking for. If we leave Help threads open after they have been completely answered by a staff member, we're just going to run into problems with post boosting which seem to be most severe in the Help section already. You can already see a lot of repetitive answers. So I guess I disagree, once the question has been fully answered, there is no need for a thread to remain open.

It seems like you also mentioned waiting hours before responding in the first place, "maybe leave it a couple hours before responding" but in my opinion, this just represents bad customer service. If we have people available and knowledgeable enough to answer the question, there is no benefit in waiting for other, less qualified answers to be written up first.

Posted Jun 29, 2020
    Jxliee, PieOrPi, Polar8 and 6 others like this.
  5. I can see the concern here. I’ve seen help threads be locked the instant their posted and then mods reply to it after but that’s usually only one mod in particular. I don’t think it’s right for the mod to lock it before anyone can respond to it- and the post usually lacks quality even though responses to threads often require more detail then just a few sentences- which makes it seem sort of like the mod is just aiming for post count- but I know they’re just trying to help. It’s not really fair to not give the community a chance to reply to any- as often they do have helpful answers. I think it should at least be left open for 10 minutes or 5 minutes, or even 3 minutes and if there aren’t any answers within that time frame then the mod can lock it. It’s just kind of selfish in a way if the mod locks it the second it’s posted- and then just answers it with a few sentences- as well as unprofessional in a way. I mean, I’ve seen amazing mods out there, and mods that give the community a chance, and I’m not saying that this mod is doing a bad thing, but it just looks poor in my eyes. Sorry if anything here sounded mean or something, it’s not intended to be and I’m just expressing my opinion on the matter! Anyway, this thread definitely has things worth discussion!

Posted Jun 29, 2020
    LT Tombstone 77 and DanTrains222 like this.
  6. Yo!

Us Mods answer help section threads quickly so we can have your concern addressed as fast as possible. We do try giving the best response we can that will help you and even though we might get the answer wrong sometimes or not give enough detail on how to solve your problem, you can always PM the Moderator who locked it for more information or if you have anymore concerns! If we wait a few hours for others to comment on the thread, it would look like we are ignoring the threads and like @Dulciloquy said, the help section isn't for opinions on how to solve the problem, it's for one correct answer. Anyways, I hope this gave some clarification on why we lock threads and answer questions ASAP. Have a nice rest of your day/night :)

Posted Jun 29, 2020
    Jxliee and xGetRekted like this.
  7. For example, I have just witnessed another help thread be locked the instant it has been posted all so the mod can get the only reply. I was actually going to reply to the thread myself, and it really gets frustrating when staff members do this. Although, like I said before, usually only one in particular. But I won't name who. I just don't see it as professional and more like just trying to get a post, but I guess they're only trying to help. Although it kind of looks bad on the mod's part and probably doesn't make them very liked. Again, I'm not trying to call anyone out or put anyone down, but it does look kind of poor in my eyes.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Thenorn and DanTrains222 like this.
  8. I don't really understand the concern here. The point of the Help section is to get questions answered as quickly as possible. I'm sorry you were wanting to reply and weren't able to, but it's really not an issue as long as the question is answered. I don't understand how wanting to quickly and efficiently get a question answered could reflect poorly on a staff member - they're simply helping in the Help section, doing exactly what that section was created to do.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    ScarletBlood37 and chrvssy like this.
  9. I have never been an advocate of "grinding" anything that involves interaction with players, and that includes Help section posts. Some staff members may have quotas on posts made in that section, but Staff Management is very lenient and understanding whenever a mentee is not able to fully meet them for valid reasons. No one is forced to no-life Mineplex, inside and outside the staff team. As for community members, it might be a good place to show their knowledge if they are applying for a staff position, but in-game observations are great for this too. In conclusion, nobody should be too angry about a thread being "sniped", unless they had spent time and effort into the reply.

With that said, I'd like to consider the other side of this argument. A recent reply mentioned a Help thread that was locked with what was, in my opinion, an underdetailed reply. I messaged the Moderator in question and resolved it so I don't want this to be taken as disrespect, just as an example of something that can be improved. Very straightforward questions with only one solution or few sources of information can and should be answered as soon as possible, but out of courtesy towards people who are putting in effort towards their responses, I think it would be fair for Moderators who deal with Help threads to allow any responses to be posted until they finish typing their own, and then lock the thread (at least that is what I did as a Moderator / FM).

The edit was to fix really bad grammar in the end, I'm a tired wreck right now so that can happen.

Posted Jul 1, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 1, 2020
    NoHaxOnlyHackz likes this.
  10. I don't really see an issue with threads in the Help section being locked quickly. I don't think it really comes down to quotas because there are plenty of other posts to comment on throughout the forums and there doesn't really need to be more than one comment on the post to begin with. Sure, if no staff are online to respond, any community member can step up and help answer any question. However, then a staff member just has to turn around and reply again anyways to let the player know that the information posted earlier is accurate. At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter as long as the question gets answered quickly and accurately. There are plenty of times where players post questions in other sections if you want to help there or sit in a lobby for a little while and you are sure to find at least a couple of new players that need assistance.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
    xGetRekted likes this.
  11. A lot of people have already listed their opinions, but I thought I would give mine as well. The simple explanation of the Help section on the forums is to, well, get assistance from community/staff members as quickly as possible. Other opinions are always appreciated, but usually there is only one correct answer in these situations. Many players, new or experienced, make Help threads simply because they're looking for a quick answer. I understand where your frustration comes from, but if you really want to contribute to a locked thread that you feel hasn't been answered to its full potential, you can always message the person privately; I have done this if I want to provide extra information and it always works out nicely. I'm sorry to hear that you think that this is a large problem, but unfortunately this section was created to receive quick answers in a timely manner, and locked threads are locked because all the possible information has been given to the player. Any extra information that you can contribute to a thread that isn't locked is always appreciated, however, and I commend you for being so attentive and wanting to make a change for the community.

To address your issue with quotas, I don't think that's the larger problem here. Quotas are simply designed to give staff members an idea of what to accomplish in their time here, and going above and beyond is always appreciated. Quotas are never significantly high and we as staff members can choose to go above them; lowering them would not make a huge difference. Now with all that being said, if you disagree with what a staff member has said or wish to provide extra information, you can always message the player in question and provide any thoughts you have (as I said earlier), or message the staff member with your concerns. I appreciate this thread, however I think the current system in place is well designed, and there doesn't need to be any major changes made to it.

Posted Jul 2, 2020
  12. I agree greatly if someone needs help with something important then they should have a fair chance to be heard

Posted Jul 19, 2020