• 1376 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7905 Players Online
  • 6529 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

The decline of zombie mains

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by KarmaCallama, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Zombie used to be one of if not the most common main among top tier players and for a good reason.

With even half decent aim, a zombie is deadly from mid to long range and is considered high tier

But in the last 1-2 years, the number of zombie mains has decreased significantly. Good players have switched to favoring spider and wolf.

I am wondering? What are the main reasons for this decline of zombie mains?

Posted Dec 7, 2019
  2. I always thought of Zombie as an obscure kit. I rarely seen it used during my substantial time here at Mineplex. When it is used, it can be powerful in the right hands but more often than not the user of the kit seems brand new or have no idea what they are doing. Most players that want to win will stick to traditional meta kits like "Spider or Wolf" because of their power and high rating from other competitive players. Can I ask if you have any data to back up the decline of zombie mains? I would actually be interested in seeing that, without the data- your simply making an assumption as the number of zombie mains are already pretty low from what I can tell. The Zombie certainly is powerful with Death Grasp/Bow(Hate both of these), its a mixture of Melee/Ranged, but other kits can sadly do what Zombie does but better or focus more strongly on just Melee/Ranged and abuse that there. Zombie is underrated definitely but it takes so skill and dedication to play a subpar mob, and it's just not for everyone.

Posted Dec 7, 2019
  3. Hey there.

That's an interesting question. Although I see some players using the zombie kit in the game, there are fewer zombie mains than it used to be. Maybe a reason for this is that new players have started playing this game, and have chosen another kit to mainly use. I've seen many new players recently, and maybe the old players who used to play with the zombie kit don't play that much anymore, and those who still play, is just a few.

Speaking of Minecraft itself, many old players have started playing other games than Minecraft. We can see this if we look at the player amount on the biggest Minecraft servers. It's a huge difference between now and 2017. And the new players are often the players who are keeping the servers going. The OG players are disappearing among al the new players.

Another reason can also be that more and more players enjoy other kits than the Zombie. It does take a lot of dedication and skill to play with this kit, and maybe the zombie kit isn't the right kit for most of the players.

So that's my theory, but it may be other reasons as well.

Posted Dec 7, 2019
  4. I don't think there is any way to actually prove with hard core data of a zombie main decline as mineplex doesn't have these stats and I don't have any footage from back in the day to compare with

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 7, 2019
    Fallen™ likes this.
  5. I'd assume it was that bow glitch and the former zombie mains have just stuck with spider.

Posted Dec 7, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  6. I never really had a single main for ssm, but I did play zombie quite frequently. Personally, I stopped playing it as much for a few reasons-
    1) Bow glitch; pretty much had to use zombie as a melee class or hope my arrows charge before I get another one.
    2) Bouncy arrows; not sure if this was part of the bow glitch, but I'm putting this separately because I've noticed it post fix for the glitch. It's annoying af to take free hits because your arrow just bounced off them.
    3) Rise of wolf and spider; my aim with a bow is only mediocre, so it's extremely hard for me to hit these people who just spam space bar with the special double jump. These kits are also heavy melee so I Just get shredded by them when I try to use zombie.

that said, I do still play zombie from time to time, especially if I see a slime in the lobby because screw slime rocket

Posted Dec 7, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 7, 2019
  7. bow glitch, arrow bounce, melee kits are generally easier than projectile kits imo, plus the old zombie mains that switched off to spider didnt rly have a reason to go back once the bow glitch was fixed (spider is just plain better tbh even with how great zombie is)

Posted Dec 7, 2019
    KarmaCallama likes this.
  8. Spider has always been favored alongside Zombie, they were pretty equal for a very long time

Since then Zombie has gotten nerfs to be more inline with other kits, Spider has also gotten nerfed but is still on its bs

Wolf got a few buffs that ended up being very substantial, and then there was a lot of wolf bias in GI, so while a couple nerfs were attempted (and many, many more were suggested) wolf ended up getting a net buff over time

Honestly, Directed Jumps are just incredibly powerful. With how reach is calculated in Minecraft and how important pacing is, being able to quickly move directly towards (or under) another kit is a very big asset, and both Spider and Wolf have kits that are focused on melee and this makes them very potent, and unless you completely shaft their base stats and/or abilities (which can make them not feel fun and rewarding to play), it can quickly become very difficult to balance around this

There are other factors at play, but the main change in 'what kits people are playing' has over time pretty consistently boiled down to what kits are good or easy.

Posted Dec 7, 2019
    KarmaCallama likes this.
  9. i still main zombie but, as others are mentioning, with the lack of attention it has gotten by devs with bouncy arrows and the bow glitch (ik it's fixed now but it took 5 months) it's not as appealing as it used to be. now that the bow glitch is resolved it's definitely a high tier kit again, but what i'm guessing is that everyone just moved on from it (and i don't blame them!!).

Posted Dec 8, 2019