• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

The Community is Underappreciated

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by xLeopard, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. xLeopard

xLeopard

You can’t have a successful Minecraft server without a community. Mineplex has a community, an extremely loyal and devoted community at that, however we don’t seem to be appreciated. At all. The community are responsible for hundreds of amazing ideas which are liked by other community members, but they are still shot down a lot. It’s extremely disappointing to see. The production, leadership and admin teams are responsible for everything that goes on on Mineplex, and therefore should (hypothetically) be catering for the community, because without them there is no Mineplex. They seem to do the opposite more often than not though. Let's take the Ideas Team for example. It’s an amazing team in theory, especially as it’s open to all community members, however in practice, it doesn’t work that well. The production team are the people who ultimately approve or disapprove ideas, not the team members who represent the community. If the production team doesn’t like an idea, then it won’t be approved even if everyone involved in bringing the idea to life love it, including those on the Ideas Team. There’s no reason for this. If an idea simply isn’t possible, then explain that to the community. Don’t just shut down an amazing idea and leave it at that. Work with the community to find a middle ground.

Next, the censorship within Mineplex is intense to say the least. Any sort of disagreement is shut down as soon as possible. Even if the people involved have fair points to make. Positivity seems to be more important to staff members, which just is not realistic. If 2 people have opposing ideas, then there is nothing anyone can do to change that. Sure, they can do so in more civil ways, however in my experience that doesn’t even really matter. If there is any kind of negativity (especially if it’s directed at the server) then it must be shut down immediately! It’s stupid. It’s not how a productive server should operate. If the playerbase isn’t able to express their opinions, then nothing can improve. Criticism is something everyone receives, and it’s how people learn how they can improve. If feedback isn’t able to get back to higher-ups, then the server can’t improve, and the only way they’re going to get that valuable feedback is through the community. We cannot continue to be censored for the sake of making the server look 100% kind and family friendly. It’s not realistic. It’s not how the real world works. Refusing to accept criticism isn’t an option. Players genuinely care about this server, and they try to help but their feedback rarely seems to make its way back to Leadership, or if it does it’s ignored. If the Leadership Team want the server to continue to be successful, then they need to take serious consideration of what the community thinks of recent updates or potential future updates they wish to see, and right now they are not doing that. I don’t blame them entirely though, as it is the moderators who have to enforce the strict rules decided by the Rules Committee/Forums team, depending which platform we’re talking about. The rules definitely need to be more lenient if a player is trying to give genuine feedback about the server. If they use a harsh tone or don’t offer personal suggestions, that doesn’t mean they don’t want to help. If a member of the community is taking the time to give their opinion on the server, then they obviously care enough about Mineplex to take time out of their day to do so. Not everyone is able to delicately word their ideas to ensure nobody has their precious feelings hurt, but players shouldn’t be punished for that. There’s a difference between bashing and strong wording.

The next major flaw within how the Mineplex community is viewed is through who players associate with. If a community member talks to staff a lot, then their ideas are going to be considered more than someone with the same amount of experience who may not talk to as many staff members, even though they should both be considered equally. It sounds obvious, but people should be judged on their experience and ideas, not on who they associate with. That really just isn’t how things seem to be done on Mineplex though. There’s a lot of obvious favouritism on Mineplex, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if it gets to a point where only an exclusive group of players are listened to, then there is a major problem there. I mention experience here too because newer players simply aren’t able to give as well constructed feedback or ideas for any pre-existing features. I have no doubt that newer players have valuable ideas, and certainly also need to be considered when discussing potential updates, however players with more experience are just that… more experienced. Experience is important when it comes to contributing to a discussion. You cannot be clueless going into it or else you won’t be taken seriously, and that’s completely fair. Anyhow, going back to my first point, there are obviously some players who are listened to more than others by teams such as GI and CoM because these players are better known by members of the staff team. That’s fine, and it can be a good thing if these community members have a lot to offer in terms of ideas for future updates, but when 90% of the ideas are taken from this exclusive group of players, there is a serious issue as the server will become catered to them and not the rest of the community. It’s not fair to cater to a small amount of the community when we still have thousands of unique players logging in every day.

That's my personal stance on some major issues I feel the Mineplex community face.

Posted Oct 9, 2018
    Danilo, Mr_Ant87, Sam ♡ and 2 others like this.
  2. JN_PlayzMC

JN_PlayzMC

It's only game, why you have to be mad?

Posted Oct 9, 2018
    glasspack and Crash like this.
  3. Crash

Crash

Okay, I agree with the community being underappreciated to an extent, and the fact that games are only sustainable with a community. However have to HEAVILY I disagree with some of the points you are trying to make here in the thread.

Ideas Team- As someone who was on Ideas Team for 6 months, Ideas Team is basically like a bridge between production and the community. Ideas Team is there to take an idea and then discuss if its possible, and check with production, and ultimately confirm/deny its plausibility, and then go from there as necessary. The new forums even enable you to see this pretty much real-time. Threads have their 'denied' and 'processed' tags for a reason.

If a suggestion isn't possible, then Ideas Team is just the middle man between production and the playerbase to say 'hey, this physically cant work out according to production.' and I will take that every day of the week. Were you around in 2015/2016, where suggestions would go months / years, and nothing really happens to it? You have no idea if an idea is possible, not possible, in the making, etc. Now- we do, and while we can discuss improvements of the current system, I think it's better overall than previous years, and Ideas team is a part of that.

I agree with this section a lot. I feel like this has gotten noticeably better since the new forums have been added, but yeah- enabling healthy criticism is a good thing. Personal attacks and bashing is another matter entirely, and to some extent I feel like punishment in general is given very sporadically, and it makes it difficult to really tell what is even acceptable or should be tolerated at times, especially because of gray areas within rules and a few other factors.

I would heavily disagree with this on a number of levels.
    As both former GI and Ideas Team, if I run into somebody who has an idea that sounds plausible- it doesnt matter if II dont know them or not, generally I'm going to take that and try to forward it. Other circumstances can come into this, but I dont think there is enough ground to argue there is such drastic inherent bias across the ENTIRE staff team, as you try to claim.

Now within GI, if one player is a regular who generally suggests good ideas, and GI members think an idea they are suggesting is good, and another player disagrees- of course GI are going to side with the idea they think is good. But I dont know if I have ever seen a member get their idea considered 'more' because they have staff friends. If you are suggesting that specific non-staff players get considered more, it's likely those players have been around a while and generally make good contributions. But just knowing GI members does not mean those ideas are going to be considered more.

Posted Oct 10, 2018
    JN_PlayzMC and xLeopard like this.
  4. JN_PlayzMC

JN_PlayzMC

I don't believe she's referring to GI and ideas team as bad, she's just saying that production always has the final say and that's not always the right path to go down. Applaud you writing a novel though it was a great read xd

Posted Oct 10, 2018
    xLeopard likes this.
  5. Wiz_Techno

Wiz_Techno

I mean this has always been the truth of Mineplex. A flaw that can't seem to be fixed. Community Management does its best with the limited resources and options they are provided.
    --- Post updated ---
    I remember @Nuclear_Poptart hinting at some CoM overhaul for the better like a year ago. Nothing every happened.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh yeah, and a lot of ideas from Idea Team get rejected by admins and t3hero. I know that many community advocates make like 2 page proposals for changes and always seem to get rejected for some bad reason.

Posted Oct 10, 2018
    xLeopard likes this.
  6. Crash

Crash

Wasnt assuming they were saying Ideas / GI are bad? Seemed like constructive criticism to me.

If something isnt possible according to production, there is not a compromise to be made. It isn't possible.

I think any more detail on a particular idea being denied by production would have to be on a case-by-case basis, and I dont think I can really say anything for that in response to a general statement.

Posted Oct 10, 2018
    xLeopard and JN_PlayzMC like this.
  7. JN_PlayzMC

JN_PlayzMC

She's saying that production deny good ideas from GI because they're either lazy or they just don't care.

Posted Oct 11, 2018
    PapiKirito and xLeopard like this.
  8. glasspack

glasspack

Hello ! i appreciate your thread and its long so im not gonna read it HOWEVER i want you to know Mine Plex tm is doing their best! they are a hard workng team of staff and mods and owners and devs and mods working around the clock to ban the hackers and make the game a better game for everyone. they cannot put everyones ideas in the game! because then thered be a MILLION games xD

its tough being the #1 MineCraft tm server in the entire world. they have a lot of, responsibility and players to please ! so be patient with your , and

Posted Oct 11, 2018
  9. xLeopard

xLeopard

Just want to clear some things up:

I think GI, Ideas and CoM are great teams, and I have a lot of respect for everyone involved with these teams. They're just not used to their fullest potential through no fault of their own. Production has the final say on everything, so if they don't like an idea then too bad so sad. If an idea is impossible though, that's fair but I still feel like they should try and come to some sort of compromise. Even if it doesn't entirely fulfill the request of the community, if aspects are taken that are possible to add I don't see why they wouldn't do that.

Also @Crash my wording was off in my original post. It's more of a bias or avoidance of ideas coming from community members who tend to be more disliked within the staff team for whatever reason. I feel like these people should be taken more seriously or at least listened to more as they still can have brilliant ideas. Just because they've made mistakes in the past doesn't mean everything they say should be ignored, right? That's more the point I wanted to make and I admit that in my first post I didn't communicate this idea well and made a completely different point. However, I still feel like players who are inherently liked or recognizable are listened to a lot more than other community members, which I don't really agree with. Everyone should be listened to, even if more well known players disagree with them, which you touched on when you talked about who GI would side with in a situation like this.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 11, 2018
  10. Crash

Crash

Isn't this your interpretation of what she means?

Also I'd have to disagree with Production denying things just because they are lazy, having worked with production.

Having worked in GI / Ideas, it generally hasnt seemed like Production says no to ideas just because or whatever, generally there is some serious limitation or issue.

As for people who have had issues with the staff team not getting their ideas considered.... I have found that to be all but the case. I was in the SSMGI discord while forum banned and most all of what I brought up was seriously considered. I know a number of people who are now staff who at one point were forum, or even network banned. People who have had serious beef with GI members have had their suggestions taken, considered, and potentially discussed.

If GI sides with someone, it's generally because of what they are bringing to the table, not if they have a punishment history or whatever. Now if a player is saying 'I have not had an issue with x' and they are someone who has primarily played the game in a specific environment- that has to be taken into account, and so of course, under specific circumstances player backgrounds are considered. But a player getting warned by staff, having disagreements, etc. is not a part of this consideration.

Posted Oct 11, 2018
  11. Wiz_Techno

Wiz_Techno

Also, want to add that I’m doing my best to make sure everyone’s ideas are included in Upate docs. I scour the forums for good ideas for game updates all the time and make GI proposals as much as I can.

Posted Oct 11, 2018
    xLeopard likes this.
  12. Ayeconic

Ayeconic

Amazing thread and I can see you have put a lot of time and effort into it and you have thought this out very well.

I believe the community do play a very important role in Mineplex as a whole as we are the ones that give feedback when new updates roll out and can ultimately determine what maps are removed/added and what games are removed or brought back.

However, I think your point about being more lenient with rules and people giving feedback is a bit vague. This is because (I am sure you are aware of this because I know you've been around for a while), rather than giving real feedback, most people just jump on the Devs or the Leadership team and it is more of a hunt to pin the blame on someone rather than feedback and at times it can be hard to distinguish if a player is being constructive or trolling and people have different meanings of 'giving feedback'. Someone could easily say in chat "Mineplex is the worst server the Devs are so bad" and then once punished could argue they were just giving feedback on the server which to me, is not the case here but could be argued and perhaps create some issues.

Posted Oct 11, 2018
  13. Vocaloiid

Vocaloiid

Dont think we had a say when LT removed the games tbh

Posted Oct 11, 2018
    xLeopard and JN_PlayzMC like this.
  14. xLeopard

xLeopard

As @Vocaloiid said above, we didn't get a say when LT removed games earlier this year. On another thread I mentioned how it would have made far more sense to keep PB over MB as it has an actual community devoted to the game, whereas Micro Battle doesn't. If LT had talked to the community before this change, I'm sure they would have realized that as well.

If people don't want to give actual feedback and just shift the blame onto Leadership, then that isn't feedback. There's no way to argue that it is. Additionally, if someone's 'feedback' is just, "Mineplex sucks" then that's not feedback. If they try and argue that it is, then they're just going to get another warning for arguing a punishment. If someone says, "Cakewars spawn protection does nothing to help if players are being spawn camped. It's rubbish." Then that should be allowed. Even though it's harsh, there is still some substance to it and there is something to be thought about with it. That's more what I'm referring to when I say that the rules around feedback should be more lenient.

Admittedly, I haven't been that involved with GI for very long, nor have I ever been involved with Ideas, so I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong, however I still don't believe that everyone's treated equally when it comes to suggesting ideas. I mentioned an idea that @JN_PlayzMC had to someone on GI once, but as soon as I mentioned the idea was by him, they seemed less interested. I'm sure there would have been other factors, but that's how it appeared to me. I know that's only 1 example, but that's always what I think of now when discussion over how ideas are handled come up.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 12, 2018
    JN_PlayzMC likes this.
  15. Vocaloiid

Vocaloiid

If this is the case, I'd like to hear the idea and present it again to GI. I doubt any of us would be less interested if an idea is presented by a certain user.

Posted Oct 12, 2018