• 1169 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5965 Players Online
  • 4796 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion The Bridges - Sky-basing

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by sakimasu, May 21, 2020.

?

Have you ever been in this situation - if so does it annoy you?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I haven't been against it

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. I personally love the bridges, it is one of my favourite gamemodes, however it is so frustrating killing all the other teams and thinking you will win; just to find out the whole of the last team are sky-basing. The destructor kit is the key cause for this unfair tactic, and I am so surprised that the server hasn't found a way to combat this yet. Since there is no counter play to this tactic, unless someone on your team also has the destructor kit (which is very hard to get as it is an achievement kit).

However, I believe this is such a simple thing to change - there are many things that can be done to stop this from happening!
    Idea #1 - Nerf the kit, change it so that the there is a small number throughout the game you can use - which is a harsh thing to do, but if it's the best idea then it may have to be done to improve the game experience for the bridges community.
    Idea #2 - Add a border, in SG, there is a world border to force players to go towards the middle. I think this could be used to stop players from staying around the outside and sky-basing, and now instead feel forced to go to the middle. I personally believe this is a better idea, as it keeps the kit rewarding to have and reduces the amount of sky-bases.

Thank you for reading and I'd love if this was changed to an idea of mine or simpler, because I feel as if many players would agree about how frustrating this tactic can be. Many thanks! :D

Posted May 21, 2020
  2. Hi there!

While I understand your frustrations, I think that Skybasing is a legitimate and fair strategy, and therefore am quite against your idea. Let me explain.

Skybasers often have a lack of armour, which means that if you can manage to get yourself close to the actual skybase, you pretty much won the game. In addition, there are many ways to combat skybasers, such as the aforementioned Destructor kit, which in 2020 isn't quite rare anymore, along with using the berserker kit to leap in the actual skybase.

Due to many currently existing ways to deal with skybasers, I don't think it is fair to have Skybasing completely removed as a strategy, and therefore I think the best idea is to leave it as it is.

VernCow~

Posted May 21, 2020
    jis, Bobtroopo and christxqn like this.
  3. I do understand what you're saying, but it is far from fair in my opinion, yes they have a lack of armour, however their teammates will have armour most of the time, as only 1 destructor kit is needed to make this tactic work. Also, you can start the sky-base before the bridges are down, at least the staircase within your islands borders, so it works 100% of the time (this can depend on the map). So I think, if you believe that it shouldn't be completely removed as a strategy, then maybe my idea of it being nerfed you can agree with.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 21, 2020
  4. As a person who sky bases frequently, I am 100% against this. I will explain why.

The Borders are already Reasonable.
    All the borders are reasonable. Some maps like Arcanimus and Seasons barely have a border behind the island. On Floof you can build approximately 68 blocks behind the island. Adding closer borders would be unnecessary.

Skybasing Only Works on Certain Maps
    If you want to win while skybasing, you need to do it on the proper map. The only maps skybasing is feasible on is Floof, Arcanimus, Seasons, and Warring Reborn. Every other map is not suitable to sky base properly. The strategy is already at a disadvantage due to the small amount of useable maps.

Destructor kit is not too OP
    Besides the poison affect, the destructor affect doesn’t provide a direct PVP advantage, which makes it useful for skybasing. Same with the archer kit. The berserker and brawler kits are good for PVP, which makes them good for melee combat. Each kit has an advantage, and destructor’s advantage is its ability to do well in a sky base. The argument of it being too strong or needing a nerf is just not founded because it has its own advantage like other kits as I have stated.

To conclude, skybasing is its own strategy just as rushing is. There is no need at all to nerf destructor or add even closer borders. -1 from me.

Posted May 21, 2020
    Rilau likes this.
  5. Hey!
    I defiantly understand where you're coming from here. I only play bridges every now and then but the sky base's can be quite annoying when you killed every other team while the other is making a sky fort and they kill you. However, I think this is one of the most effective strategies in the game and there's no reason to ban it. The destructor kit doesn't seem OP at all to me in my opinon because there is a whole bunch of kits and this one is tended to be used for sky basing which in my opinon is a legitimate strategy. I also agree with what @christxqn said about this only working on certain maps so this doesn't happen every single game.

Posted May 21, 2020,
    Last edited May 22, 2020
    christxqn likes this.
  6. I personally think the Bridges could have some sort of sudden death similar to SG. While Bridges is supposed to be a long game it comes to a point where it is too long. I think after 30-45 minutes, everybody could be teleported to the center for sudden death.

Posted May 21, 2020
    sakimasu and HeyItsTay_ like this.
  7. Yep, this is the current meta because it’s one of the only effective ways to stand a chance against parties of high-level immortals that dominate a lot of the games. I don’t have a problem with it, as it’s a viable option for staying alive more than 2 seconds after the bridges drop.

Posted May 22, 2020
    christxqn likes this.
  8. "Skybasing Only Works on Certain Maps", I understand that this may be the case, but you're usually going to party with friends or have friends in the lobby who you will play with (as I see every game the skybasers are usually friends and they even have more friends coming and watching them in games). This means that they can easily choose one of these maps, if they agree on one, and therefore have a map that they are able to sky base on mostly every game. You can say there are other players who are voting, but hardly many other players will vote and even so a sky base map will most likely win due to majority vote.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 22, 2020
  9. It is a viable option for staying alive more than 2 seconds, that is correct, however it also drags games out for much longer than needed could be up to 40 minutes of no counter-play to the strategy. This will end up in leading to other lobbies of bridges getting full slower as there are less players queueing, meaning more time wasted not only for the players in the current game, but the players who are queueing up too. So if this 40 minute game could shrink down to a lot less, by reducing the amount of time they can sky-base for at least (for a sudden death round or something similar like @Vytas said), it could improve the overall game experience for more players than you may think.

OP OP
  10. That is not really true. An example of a popular map (that is not good for skybasing) is Farmy. It wins almost every vote, over void maps that are good for skybasing. Out of all the maps, only a select few are suitable for it, so there is no need to "nerf" the strategy in any way.

Posted May 22, 2020
  11. The argument about lobbies is also not necessarily founded. Usually, towards the end of a skybasing game, there may be only 8-12 people at max left, across both teams. This is a small amount of players. Especially with the new queing system called Butch, lobbies fill far faster than before.

Posted May 22, 2020
  12. yeah, i hate skybasers, it's always noobs who otherwise would never win the game
    it makes me so mad arrghh

Posted May 22, 2020
  13. I have only seen Farmy chosen once ever, and I've played a lot of bridges recently, so that doesn't seem like the case to me. I see mostly Floof and Arcanimus, both maps you have said are 'sky-base maps'.

OP OP
  14. Mineplex is a smaller server, and it takes long enough to get into games at the moment, this time could decrease if more players were available to play at a time.

OP OP
  15. Personally, the sky basing strategy is disgusting. The players who aren't good and skilled at the game use this as a way to progress in the game while giving the opposing teams absolutely no chance of winning. If you try and build to them, the destructor kit breaks so many blocks that your bridge has just reset. It is outrageous to see this kit and strategy is still in the game. I'm disgraced that nothing has been done to prevent these players from doing this tactic as it is just prolonging the game to the point where you cannot do anything apart from give in. The players who use this strategy are clearly bad at this particular gamemode to the point where they cannot fight to win and need to resort to CAMPING to win.

I seen earlier comments disagreeing saying that there are ways that the gamemode is nerfed to do make it winable for the opposing teams, however this is completely false. Anyone with a full team can get multiple people using that kit so they get unlimited amount of pearls which can be thrown as soon as you start building. The borders are also not good enough to prevent it such as the map floof.

Please listen to this thread and get this bannable, or at least get rid of the destructor kit !

Posted May 22, 2020
  16. I see. I kept track of the maps today. I played 12 games. Out of the 12, 4 had Farmy as an option, and it won 3 times. Floof was picked once, and Skylands twice, and Arcanimus once. Out of 12, 1/3 or 4 were void maps. I just think it depends.

Posted May 22, 2020
  17. The destructor kit is an achievement kit. Why get rid of it? Just because it goes against the current meta does not it should be nerfed/omitted. Also, why make a valid strategy bannable? Just because it is camping does not mean it is punishable? You are grossly misinformed about which players skybase and which don't. Skybasing does not make you bad by any means. If you check the all time win leaderboard for bridges, a good amount of the players on there are known for skybasing. Calling this tactic bad and the players using it bad is just unnecessary, and like I said, further proves that you have been grossly misinformed about this game.

Posted May 22, 2020
  18. I understand you here, but, like I said, the amount of players in a game with a skybase might only total to be 8-12. I just had a situation where my party of 2 was in a skybase, and there were 6 people on the other team. Only 8 people. While Mineplex does have a smaller player count, 8 and even 15-20 is a minute number.

Posted May 22, 2020
  19. Sure, but as I said if they're planning on sky basing they're going to choose these maps, and most of the time for me it's the case, and to be honest it is mostly the same players every game making this strategy appear more and more. I'm not sure if this is due to timezones and more of those parties being on at my time though.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 23, 2020
    christxqn likes this.
  20. Okay, but that one case is not going to define all cases.
    I seem to understand you are a sky baser yourself, and your opinions are heavily biased like mine probably are, me being completely against the strategy that I believe is used if you lack ability - so it is extremely unlikely we actually come to an agreement, so I'd leave it here. :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 23, 2020
    christxqn likes this.