• 1268 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3847 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gzen, Nov 21, 2019.

?

Well...?

1. Thanksgiving season lasts until the end of November

2. Christmas as soon as Halloween ends

3. Other (explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Everyone in the MP discord out here with the Christmas trees or turkeys around their discord tags so it's pretty clear to see what they think, but how about you forum users? I see people skipping straight from Halloween to Christmas and ignoring Thanksgiving all together but I think Thanksgiving needs more recognition. How about you?

----
    a lot of people are saying they dont even know what thanksgiving is so to clarify and give you a mini history of thanksgiving ---->
    back in the colonial days of america there were these pilgrim guys
    they lived in the sort of tundra area of america and just didnt know in any way how to farm there so they were all probably gonna die due to starvation
    then these cool native americans came in and taught them how to grow corn and stuff
    then they had a 3 day feast where they gave thanks to one another
    not too eventful other than that those pilgrims would have died if not for the natives but it was popularized as a holiday in 1863 by Abraham lincoln to 'repair' America from the civil war. before that it was still celebrated by some people in the north but not nearly as much.
    thats basically the history and its kinda stupid since us americans ended up killing like 99% of those natives but i still like the holiday since i have a great family that i can just hang out with without the stress of buying gifts. we just eat turkey play football and are happy. sorry i didnt think about people outside of the U S when making this lol

Posted Nov 21, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 23, 2019
  2. both

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Frqstbite likes this.
  3. at once?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 21, 2019
  4. Hey there!

I prefer Christmas. Christmas is so much more fun with all of that buildup, and so as soon as November rolls around I get happy. Christmas is very important to my family and personally we just celebrate it more than Thanksgiving.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  5. Hey!

So personally Christmas is by far my favorite, this is due to quite a few reasons. I in general just really like the season, the decorations and getting a chance to see my family. I also really look forward to two week break we get for Christmas, which a great time to hand out with friends and family. To me it's not so much Christmas day itself but the time around it and all of the celebrations, Christmas movies, and even Christmas music. Although thanksgiving is a great time of year, I just love Christmas and it definitely wins over Thanksgiving for me.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  6. Thanksgiving doesn't seem like to big of a holiday to me. I go and hangout with cousins and feast and whatever, but we still have some christmas themed stuff during thanksgiving because its the last time my extended family see eachother before the end of the year. But I don't truly feel like christmas season is until December.
    and like I say to everyone who asks me
    "Its never too early for walmart"

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Jocoe and Im_Ken like this.
  7. I am from Russia so we do not celebrate Thanksgiving and aren't fond of Christmas because we already got New Year with Olivye salad, guests, president's speech that no one cares about because we hate him, craze grandmas who can not stop buying buckwheat for winter and many other things.
    --- Post updated ---
    [​IMG]
    Here is the picture of Olivye. By the way, we also have a soup made out of this salad and we use "Kvas" instead of bouillon. Kvas is a slightly alcoholic drink that you can drink even if you are a kid.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Gzen, Im_Ken and neotheater like this.
  8. I prefer both of them because of the sales they provide from the stores. The only thing I love about Thanksgiving is Black Friday sales, so I can buy something that I need. Christmas is one of my favorite Holidays, where I can spend time with my family, and friends together. Last year, I received a new gaming laptop for my Christmas gift and I was so happy!

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas soon! :)

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  9. Heyo!

I would have to agree with @Phamtastic, one of the reasons I like the Thanksgiving seasons are because of the Black Friday sales but other than that I'm more of a Christmas guy. I love the food at Christmas and Thanksgiving food is pretty good too, but I prefer Christmas food. Another thing is that there's like 2 days for Christmas, Christmas Day and Christmas Eve!

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Nov 21, 2019
  10. thats a salad? looks more like a rice crispy mess or something

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Cardyceps likes this.
  11. I can be thankful all year. It can’t be Christmas all year

Posted Nov 21, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 23, 2019
  12. [​IMG]
    Here is the picture of Olivye. By the way, we also have a soup made out of this salad and we use "Kvas" instead of bouillon. Kvas is a slightly alcoholic drink that you can drink even if you are a kid.
    It is actually made from:
    Eggs, crab meat, mayonnaise, peas and potato.
    If you want to make soup, you just need to add "Kvas", but I don't think that you can find in countries that do not have Russian speaking population. The soup is called "Okroshka" and I think that there are some different types of this soup.
    --- Post updated ---
    [​IMG]
    The soup is white because of mayonnaise and you can also add some greens and onion rings.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    Im_Ken and Gzen like this.
  13. Christmas. Thanksgiving is irrelevant. As soon as halloween ends, it's christmas.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    little_dude_9000 likes this.
  14. We Russians have bizarre things. For example we have celebration to celebrate Spring. It is called "Maslenitsa". During Maslenitsa we usually do stuff like: eating pancakes (a lot of pancakes), wear traditional costumes that look a little bit weird, fighting between two or more districts of the same town (it also happens in the villages).
    The main part of the Maslenitsa is burning the scarecrow made out of the used things that are provided by usual people.
    [​IMG]
    P.S. I tried to find least creepy picture because I do not want anyone to be scared.or creeped out
    --- Post updated ---

Posted Nov 22, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 22, 2019
    Im_Ken likes this.
  15. Christmas

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  16. In Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving much earlier than Americans do, usually it's the first Monday of October if I'm not mistaken. It is a really lovely time of year because the leaves are changing colours and it's just wonderful all around but if I had to pick one, I'd have to pick Christmas. I love how it's a celebration that pretty much lasts 2 months and it's nice hearing all the music, watching all the movies and having the Christmas tree with the fireplace in use. I also like that by the time we reach the days leading up to Christmas, I no longer have exams to worry about. Seeing as both sides of my family are quite large, we always have a lot going on in terms of dinners and visitors but my sister and I also have a big, fancy dinner with our best friends (who also happen to be siblings) and then we have another one with our best friends and our parents. Thanksgiving and Christmas share very similar traits but the fact that Christmas is prolonged and I get to spend that much more time with my loved ones, and that I have a 2-week break, is the reason I prefer Christmas.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    Im_Ken and Cardyceps like this.
  17. Heyo!

Since Thanksgiving doesn't exist in the UK, I'll have to go for Christmas. To be fair, even if I wasn't from the UK and had Thanksgiving, I'd still go with Christmas. I absolutely love Christmas; the food, setting, family get-togethers and the beautiful Christmas decorations are amazing treats Christmas brings. As I have a quite large family it's rather hectic but super fun being able to see everyone after such a long time. And obviously the best part about Christmas is those two weeks off school we get. Just kidding, but receiving, giving and spending quality time with your family has to be the best, and for those reasons, I say Christmas is better!

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  18. As @Wolfayy mentioned, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here in the UK so I'd have to also go with Christmas. I'm fairly close to my family so it's great to see them and have an enjoyable time together on the day. I also just love the general vibe of Christmas, as well as the decorations and music etc. You also can't go wrong with a Christmas dinner, it's definitely worth waiting all year round for!

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  19. I'm with everyone else, Christmas! But my reasoning is simply because of winter break, my family does not celebrate Christmas as we have our own religious holidays one of them being Eid. However, since I'm currently going to school in the United States I get to enjoy those two weeks off school and we usually go on vacation during winter break so my choice will definitely be Christmas just for that! Not to mention I do actually like the vibe of Christmas, the fact that the theme changes everywhere including on Mineplex! The Mineplex lobby will be Christmas decorated and I'm sure there will be events tied to Christmas, so in my opinion, Christmas wins by a longshot.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    Im_Ken likes this.
  20. Christmas for sure! I'm not originally from the United States, so I never celebrated Thanksgiving until it was like forcefully shoved down my throat by my peers, and well... the rest of America. I do have to admit though, it's a great holiday that always brings everyone back around to their roots and what they're grateful and thankful for. It's good to see a lot of people come together and be selfless during this time of year, (until Black Friday and Cyber Monday hit... sheesh) and we really do need that in the world right now. However, at the end of the day, I will always be a die-hard Christmas fan as my favorite holiday. It includes all the aspects of Thanksgiving, (except maybe the excessive eating) and celebrating with those closest around you that you love.

Both are awesome holidays though!

Posted Nov 22, 2019