• 219 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6088 Players Online
  • 5869 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Sweat Parties (My POV of them)

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by SuperOrangeOre, Jan 27, 2021.

?

Should Mineplex do something about these sweat parties?

1. Yes

22.0%
  2. No

78.0%
  1. Agreeing that there should be reform in this game does not count as "being mad"

Posted Feb 7, 2021
    ole likes this.
  2. I don't think there's a reasonable way to deal with this "issue" without splitting the player base or turning people off from the game. Sure MP could introduce a ranked system but with Cakewars having only around 250 players daily, having a ranked system would really make queue times go up. Sure you could force players on random teams but that would make the game a lot less fun for a lot of players. Would you really want a Cakewars you couldn't play with your friends?

I agree playing against a team with all highly skilled players in a party can be very challenging but at the end of the day, they're enjoying the game and not breaking any rules (at least I hope not). There are plenty of ways to counter this too. Recognize when a group of these players leave their base and use ender pearl to their base is a good way to either distract them or destroy their cake altogether. And if them being great at PVP is what gets you there's not really anything anybody can do about that.

Posted Feb 8, 2021
    Fusafez and whylel // rain like this.
  3. honestly i do not see why i should be punished for having fun with friends. if me being good at a block game gets ppl mad then dont play and fold

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  4. Ok I don't play cakewars but hear me out:

They could add a "pro" version. As incentive for serious parties/stats grinders to play, it could have double rewards than the regular version. That way, people wouldn't see it as a "punishment" for being good, but more as a reward for playing with other players that have around the same skill level. Hopefully if people think that they're so good at the game, then they will switch to pro mode and leave the players with less experience alone.

Hopefully this won't disrupt the player count and make it so that the games won't start. That's my only concern.

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  5. A "pro" version sounds very similar to just a ranked version. I'm overall very against ranked cake wars or ranked anything due to the current cheater problem. GWEN v2 was announced to come out soon and hopefully this does resolve the cheater issue. As for why I'm against any pro or ranked version is because there will most likely be rewards for ranking up, and knowing players they would cheat for these rewards. This happens on Hypixel ranked skywars where pretty much majority of people who play that cheat for cosmetics.

As for the thread, all my thoughts were summed up in other users posts and just wanted to address this idea.

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  6. I don't see any reason to do something about "sweat partys" it's just friends playing together, and it pushes you to get better. I got relitivly good at the game by playing with people that finish games in 5 minutes you learn their strats and you adapt them to your playstyle. I think (in my opinion) "sweats" actual help the game more than they hurt it, they give you a good challenge and a reason to be better.

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  7. Hi there,

I completely disagree with stopping players from being able to play with their friends. If you find it frustrating you can always do /findgame to find another lobby. Whether you like it or don't like it rushing is a valid tactic to win games. I don't personally rush but I bowspam a lot and players tell me I can't do that. Why? It's a perfectly valid tactic. There's more than one way to win whether that be in a party or with randoms and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the scenario you have described. We can't punish players for being good at the game.

-MC Minium

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  8. If play this "pro" version for double rewards, the games are going to be long and drawn out. Instead, I could pubstomp 5 games in the time it takes for one "pro" match and earn way more exp.

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  9. There's really no sweats but more of people who are over experienced. Sweats are people who actually sweat when they fight others (I avoid this by using a 1k cps auto clicker). Most people who rush are the over experienced ones that are put in a pool of inexperienced players which therefore causes a less enjoyable experience. The only solution I can think of countering this (helping bad players gear up) is making it so you're unable to place blocks for the first 25 seconds (along with not being able to eat cakes)

Posted Feb 8, 2021
  10. Not to be mean or anything, just make some friends xd

Posted Feb 8, 2021
    C2MineCraft likes this.
  11. Cw is a highly Competive game and witch alot of these parties against so many people would get punished if this were pushed into affect

Posted Feb 8, 2021
    Orangey likes this.
  12. To be honest, there are plenty of things Mineplex could do to reduce the "sweat" problem. It has to be understood the mechanics for CW are designed to benefit competitive players over new ones, so the "skill gap" that has opened up because of the outflow of players from Mineplex to other servers is exacerbated by the way the game has been designed. For example,

(1) Map Size: the maps are very small which strongly benefits "sweaty" parties because they are easily able to coordinate attacks on other teams and target the stronger ones

(2) "Anti-camping": many of you will have heard of "hiding-spot" strategies in Bedwars. On Mineplex, these are impossible because you can only move around on really obvious parts of the map. Again, this is great for the sweaty player because it becomes really easy to hunt teams that have no cake.

(3) Gear gaps: the gap between the strongest and weakest gear in the game is enormous. A sweaty team that controls mid will win easily simply because the others are unable to get any decent upgrades. Compare this again with Hypixel where you collect items as opposed to generating them. ***ulatively, the Minepex system again benefits the sweaty party that can really quickly outgear every other team. Moreover, the gap between the gear they obtain what the others can get is simply huge.

Changing these and other mechanics will mean that weaker players can obtain small but persistent advantages over sweaty teams. The problem is that, like with the Survival Games updates since 2016, Mineplex has shown less interest in drawing newer players and more interest in retaining old ones. If the things above are changed, then longer games will ensue which will increase waiting times and decrease the player base even more.

Overall, as a "sweaty" player myself, the mechanics of the game are great for me and the parties that I am in. Not only is it really easy to beat the newer players within minutes, but I can, with no punishment, fold against stronger parties. What should happen, is that as soon as you are sent onto your island, folding the game results in some sort of penalty. If you do it more than 3 times a day, you would lose 100 wins for example. That would at least mean that sweaty parties would fight against each other more often leading to more opportunities for upset victories for the newer teams.

Posted Feb 24, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  13. I would like to add something as well. If your advice to players is to "lobby-dodge" the good teams by leaving the game right before it starts, then it means you have already accepted that CW has terrible game mechanics, and is objectively a poorly balanced game. Why? Well, the enjoyment from a game comes from two sources: (1) Victory and (2) Struggle and Competition. By (2), I not only mean the the length of each game, but also the variance of its results. On average, sweats will come out on top, but the a higher variance and uncertainty of this outcome, the more enjoyable the game. Even if you end up losing, a game may still be fun if there is contestation. If your advice is to "lobby-dodge", then this means that rationally speaking, it is in your best interest to leave the game. However, by leaving you reduce the enjoyment of another players since there will be less contestation because you have quit. That is, not only do remaining players lack (1), but they lack (2) as well because they are just going to get farmed. This will induce more and more players to leave before the game starts. This means that if everyone behaves rationally, then the presence of a "sweaty" team should reduce the number of players significantly leaving only those that still enjoy the game while getting crushed in under one minute. Since the speed of the game has increased, the sweaty party will join more lobbies and the "lobby-dodgers" will have to wait for longer and longer before they get into a "non-sweaty" game. Therefore our outcomes are as follows:

(1) Sweats dominate every game that they play and reduce the game time,

which means that,

(2) The probability of finding a sweaty party in a CW lobby increases

this leads to,

(3) Lobby-dodgers having to wait longer before finding a non-sweaty game

which results in,

(4) More non-sweaty players move to an alterative game or server which starts faster

This then gets us back to (2).

As I said, unless Mineplex actually start thinking about making changes that benefit newer players, they will be unable to compete with other servers. So far I have been critical of what the game is like at the moment. However, it is clearly possible to introduce items that address the problem. These items are ones that can be used by all players but will disproportionately benefit newer ones. Take the Hypixel example of a the "fireball". Many of the "sweaty " leaderboard players like gamerboy80 dislike fireballs because they are cheap and are often used by newer players to knock them off bridges and win the game like that. This is an example of a balancing item that could help reduce the "sweat" issue. I have above mentioned the possibility of using "hiding-spots"too. Another example would be cake rot. Why is there a moving border? The border again benefits the parties that just camp middle. Hypixel is smart by using dragons which create more intrigue and uncertainty with respect to how the game ends, thus creating more contestation, and more fun.

Posted Feb 25, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  14. Well, the pool has decided.

Posted Feb 25, 2021
  15. lol honestly, its not hard to find a party if you play well and are recognised for playing well. I was kinda trash tier and I improved and I was invited to a discord, which led to another, and another, and resulted in me becoming friends with lots of good players, which means I get invited to parties.

Posted Feb 25, 2021