• 473 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2822 Players Online
  • 2349 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Survival Games Kit Idea

Discussion in 'New Kit Discussion' started by Voltss, May 14, 2019.

1. Kit Name: Storm or Storm Bringer

Unlocked via: 7500 Gems

Description: The storms stand by your side, aiding in combat

-Passive: Damage taken from projectiles (axes and arrows) is reduced by 50%

-Ability: Right clicking with a sword or an axe will create gusts of winds (or storm clouds) around you that inflicts slowness upon enemies surrounding you in a 4 block radius, during the duration of the ability, if you are hit by any projectile, a lightning bolt will strike the user of the projectile, dealing 5 damage to them. The duration of the ability lasts 3 seconds, with a 20 second cool-down.

Any thoughts and criticism about the kit are welcome!

Posted May 14, 2019,
    Last edited May 15, 2019
    Mr_Ant87 and DietSnowLOL like this.
  2. While I don't think this kit would fit in with the rest of the kits in SG, plus I would prefer the existing kits to be balanced first before focusing on any new ones, this still is an idea that rather intrigues me, and could be made to work.

First off, we already have an achievement kit in the form of Horseman, so this kit, if it were added, would have to be bought with gems. 5000 is the usual amount so I'd go with that. The passive looks a bit stronger than it should be, maybe you start off with 1 level of XP and get 2.5 from a kill instead?

I think the biggest potential problem with the kit would be defining what range would be suitable for it, but with that said I think you haven't done that bad a job at setting a reasonable limit, although whether it is actually reasonable or not I wouldn't be able to say without actually playtesting the kit. With that said, I think the cooldown time should be lengthened to, let's say, 30 seconds for the abilities and 40 seconds to switch (it feels a bit short atm).

TL;DR I get the feeling this isn't something that would be added to SG, but it is an interesting concept nonetheless, that could fit the bill with a little bit of a refining.

Posted May 14, 2019
  3. This seems way too complicated for SG. Survival Games is a classic game which everyone knows and loves, and while the kits Mineplex currently has put a spin on the game, it's still recognisable and easy to understand. I have no problem with people getting creative with their ideas, but this just doesn't seem to fit.

Having not one, but 2 abilities that both seem really strong already makes it stand out a lot from other kits. I'm not a fan of either ability either. I'm not a fan of long ranged attacks in sg outside of bows and rods to begin with, and both of these seem to be. My suggestion would be to pick one or the other and rework it to be effective at a medium/close range. Perhaps you could have something similar to ground pound but rather than launching players it puts them on fire for a second or two. Just an idea, I'd love to know what other ideas you might have.

Additionally, giving players free xp/more xp per kills than other kits seems extremely unbalanced. I'm assuming this xp could still be used for enchanting, so people with this kit would be able to enchant a lot faster than other players.

Also, @Mr_Ant87 I'd like to point out that SSM has 2 achievement kits. It doesn't necessarily have to be purchasable. While SSM has far more kits than SG, SG still does have a lot of kits so I wouldn't mind adding another one to the game either. That's just my opinion though.

Posted May 14, 2019
    happilycam likes this.
  4. Well I'm not too acquainted with SSM so I didn't know that until now. With that said, SSM does have double the amount of kits that SG does so I'm not sure if that would properly justify adding another achievement kit to SG. You also do raise a point that I missed earlier, and that is the complexity of the kit. Typically kits will have one passive ability and one active ability, whereas this one has two active abilities. It'd make more sense for this kit to just have one active ability (I'd be leaning towards the fireball ability more than the lightning one if I had to choose between those two), it'd be more inline with the other kits and would be easier to understand how it works.

Posted May 14, 2019
    xLeopard likes this.
  5. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! After consideration, I decided to rework the kit into more of a defensive kit rather than the kit being used simply to supplement for lack of damage output.

~Completely reworked the kit into one that counters projectiles whilst incorporating a slow effect into the kit that has yet to be used in any other SG kit. The Kit is meant to be used as a counter especially toward the Archer and Axeman kit, which many people despise.

Would love to hear more feedback/thoughts! ~Voltss

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 14, 2019,
    Last edited May 14, 2019
  6. Posted May 14, 2019
  7. OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 14, 2019
  8. I think it would've been better if you just made a new thread for this kit idea, or at least put it in a reply that isn't the OP so that we could still discuss the first kit idea, but that probably isn't too big of a deal.

I understand how you got to this kit idea (Axemen and Archers are quite frustrating) but I can't help but get the feeling that the need for a counter to these kits wouldn't be so great for when (if) a kit like this is added, as hypothetically in the update where this would be added, Axeman and Archer would have been nerfed (I probably haven't done my job right if they aren't). As with the previous idea, though, this is still an interesting concept that, with some changes, could work.

I'm not too much of a fan of having an ability luck based, so instead of making it a 50% chance that axes and arrows are deflected, I would say you reduce the damage taken from these projectiles to something like 50%. I do like the idea of the active ability, and honestly I'm not finding too much about it that needs to be changed. Probably the only things that do is so that this ability can't be used right at the start of the game (though I think this is a given), and maybe a slight decrease to the range of the 'cloud', as I'll call it. The amount of damage also feels a little low to me, though if that gets changed the radius probably has to be smaller. Also, what are you defining a projectile as, in this context? I'm assuming you mean axes and arrows, however someone else could think this also includes snowballs, eggs and fishing rods, so a bit of clarification here would be good.

Posted May 15, 2019
  9. It is a nice idea i think it should be more expensive or it will be op

Posted May 15, 2019
  10. Price doesn’t determine how balanced a kit is.

Posted May 15, 2019
    Jango_55 likes this.
  11. Yeah, I’m terms of this kit, projectiles are defined as axes and arrows. And also I was wondering wether the passive should be reduction to dmg or rng, and I’ll go ahead and change it to reduced dmg instead because rng can be frustrating.
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 15, 2019
  12. Hey!

I like the idea of this kit, having the slowness effect would definitely alter the game for those affected to bring yourself an advantage! However, this kit would be better if it was implemented into a different, perhaps more fast-paced game such as Skywars or Micro-Battles. Also, maybe make the cool-down longer as this seems like an overpowered kit for those who know how to use it properly. :)

Posted May 15, 2019
  13. Posted May 15, 2019
  14. Do you have to be this egocentric? This is his/her idea thread, not a place for you to advertise your own ideas and to say it’s better.

As for the OP, I could see this kit working. The durations seem mostly balanced. I like to unique twist and the idea of a battle mage

The lightning seems really weak, with just one damage. Perhaps 4-5 damage could work.

Just a cool idea I thougt that could possibly replace lightning, so instead of punishing the person shooting the projectile, perhaps it could “freeze” projectiles as they enter your radius so it’s like the storm is stopping them from hitting you.

Posted May 15, 2019
    xLeopard likes this.
  15. Thanks for the ideas everyone! Would love to hear more!

I’ll up the cooldown of the ability to 20 seconds and trade it off for increased damage for the lightning bolt.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 15, 2019

16. Sorry to be "egocentric", but I just think his idea seems to fit more in a games like Dominate, not SG.

Posted May 15, 2019
  17. You upped the cooldown by 5 seconds and only gave it +1 damage?

Posted May 15, 2019
  18. true true, ill stick with your suggestion of 5 dmg, since people should get punished more heavily if they use projectiles while the clouds are up
    Im going to avoid tweaking the numerical values of the kit from this point on, because that is for the dev team to decide what would be balanced or not, if it was added (and I believe the values are balanced as they are). Any thoughts about the actual kit perks and abilities are welcome!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 15, 2019,
    Last edited May 15, 2019
  19. It's a cool idea, in theory, just don't know how well it'll fit into the game. Having storm clouds and such doesn't fit in SG to me. With the lightning bolt striking any players that hit you with a projectile while using your ability, it just seems a little off to me - because usually there's a way you can dodge abilities. Example being Axeman - you can always dodge the axes. Like, if it's something that's fixed to hit you every single time, I'm just not sure how it'd work. Perhaps something that you need to shoot and aim yourself, like an ability to your bow that if you hit someone it shoots them with lightning? Even then I'm not sure if it'd work well with the ideas behind SG.
    The whole kit kind of gives me "Thor" vibes, so if we had something similar - like, you have to aim the lightning projectile or something - then it would fit more for me. Just my two cents, though!

Posted May 15, 2019
  20. Developers don’t actual deal with game balance, or in this case, number values. Usually GI does this (which I’m part of :O). Though take my opinion with a grain of salt as I may not be the most experienced in SG.

Posted May 15, 2019