• 1576 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3660 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Stop VPN Prohibition

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Tavleen007, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Could you please allow the use of certain VPN's because players like me use it to go from 350MS to 220MS and it seems as if it is not a big difference in ping but it really matters for me because the difference between these two makes it so my hits are registered, I don't have constant freezes and I get glitched into blocks way less. I am using WTFast which is a software used to lower ping for better connection. All this time I'm been having fun but now I can't because Mineplex prohibits VPN's. I know its to increase security precautions but I don't feel its worth it because its at the cost of many Asian and European players who want a bearable connection to play with. I really hope something can be done about this because Mineplex is my favorite server to play on and having a good connection means a lot.

Posted Oct 13, 2019
  2. Thread Moved to General Idea Discussion

While it is unfortunate that players overseas must deal with high ping on the server, I do not believe the benefits of this idea outweigh the negatives. The main reason why removing the Anti-VPN system would be harmful is because of hackers. If removed, users exhibiting malicious activity would easily be able to cause damage to the network. Thus, having an Anti-VPN system makes it more difficult for these users to enter the network and it would be a safe decision to sacrifice the minority of players connecting from very far locations to preserve every one of our users' safety and experience.

Posted Oct 13, 2019
    SpitefulNick, Xukuri and Kyuine like this.
  3. I understand your concerns regarding hackers and malicious activity however, I don't understand why Mineplex is one of the only servers that uses an Anti-VPN system. Other servers such as -snip-, -snip- etc. seem to be doing fine without these Anti-VPN systems. I do not believe there is much malicious activity that can be done by simply using a VPN. On the other hand, this system is a new implement and I would kindly disagree that the downsides outweighs the benefits. Thanks for having this conversation

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 14, 2019,
    Last edited by a Moderator Oct 14, 2019
  4. I'm sorry that you don't agree with the Anti-VPN Rollout, but I believe that it is for the best. You can find the official thread here which details all the reasons why it was done. But to answer your question, the reason why Mineplex uses an Anti-VPN system is because they were encountering issues with botted accounts joining the server and spamming the chat, which implementing a VPN blocking system has helped prevent. I definitely don't agree with your statement of the downsides outweighing the benefits, the LT would have been considering this for a long while and if they had come to the conclusion that it would cause more trouble than it's worth then they definitely wouldn't have made the change.

You also stated that you can't do much malicious activity by using a VPN, which is true meaning that VPN's themselves aren't malicious, however, hackers use VPN's to block their real location and makes it much harder to identify the individual user causing the problems which is another big reason why the VPN blocker is in place. Overall, I feel like the VPN blocker has made Mineplex a whole lot safer and I personally don't think it should be removed.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  5. It's a reason why they added ANti-VPN Rollout, so I think that it would do more damage than good if this was taken away. I'm really sorry to hear that your ping is pretty high, but try to see if there is any other good way to get a lower ping.

Also, which servers are you playing on? US or EU?

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  6. Those servers also have active anti cheat developers to help stem the amount of cheaters, while we are at the mercy of available staff members for a lot of the time. It's unfortunate, but considering that a solid majority of the playerbase is North American or EU (specifically UK it seems), I think it is a worthy sacrifice. That said, this doesn't block all VPNS, and I'm sure you could find one that does the same function that hasn't been restricted on MP.
    --- Post updated ---
    eu no longer exists

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    Im_Ken likes this.
  7. Although I can definitely see the reason as to why we implemented the anti-vpn measure for hackers, it also prevents those in countries with strict access to foreign internet (such as China, N. Korea, Etc) from joining the server in any capacity, which I think is a huge issue there. Aside from this issue, it is very unlikely that we will be allowing certain vpns so that you can get a better MS. As Ace mentioned, which I agree with, the possible value added in allowing some vpns is less than the cons of making our server more vulnerable to hackers.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  8. The players who wanted to have VPN connection to the server are one of the safest way to play. They want to protect themselves from unusual malicious activities from other users targeting. It can be a good thing because that would stopped them from using their VPN. Looking back to the Anti-VPN thread here, AlexTheCoder stated that it’d limiting the damage that can be done by malicious users abusing the system. This would create a better environment for all players on the server. Of course, that’d eliminated all hackers and bot spammers from the server.

Developers wouldn’t allowed all VPN users to join the Mineplex server. If they allowed them, then it’d cause these malicious users joining the server again. They have the reason why their system flagging all VPN users from joining the server. If the player believes they were flagged from the server, and they weren’t using VPN, they’re welcome to contact to the support team.

Restricting all VPN users from joining the server are one of their best solution to create sort of prevention from malicious activity. If you want to play on the Mineplex server, you need to disable VPN first and then connect. Personally, I don't use VPN in general, and I don't have it installed on my computer.

Posted Oct 14, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 14, 2019
  9. No one from North Korea is going to join a minecraft server vpn or not lol. And China has their own version of minecraft that can't connect to regular servers.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  10. In the case of China, they do have their own version of Minecraft, yes. But many Chinese players rely on VPNs in order to connect to US servers, particularly Mineplex.

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  11. Holaaaa

Firstly I’d like to say sorry you’ve been having ms issues in game, hopefully they can gradually get better overtime. I do believe that the use of of a Anti-VPN is still needed, because of this I would have to disagree with this idea.

The point of an Anti-VPN is to limit the amount of damage that can be done. Limiting the use of VPNs allows malicious threats against the server to be easily traced back to one player. Things like bot spam and people hacking on multiple accounts are now traceable due to the Anti-VPN. I overall think that the positives out weigh the negatives in this situation. If you want to get more information about the Anti-VPN rollout you can check it out here —-> https://www.mineplex.com/threads/anti-vpn-rollout.45117/

Posted Oct 14, 2019
  12. Heyo!

As many players have said above me, I apologize for the issues that you have been experiencing with your ping. However, we will not be chaining our stance on our Anti-VPN policy that we have on Mineplex. If you look back at the introduction thread for this, you will understand that we have done it for good reasons. By having this in place, we lower the amount of damage that can be done to the server, like bot spams. If you are connecting through the EU, try using eu.mineplex.com, as your ping should be slightly lower as a result. If you have any more questions or concerns, send me a PM.

Thread Locked - Not Planned

Posted Oct 14, 2019
    nolawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.