• 3801 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12266 Players Online
  • 8465 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Staff Tip Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Leafy, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Yes yes yes, I do know that there are a bunch of already made staff tip documents by some wonderful players and am still just wondering if there are any more little tips for me to know before applying?

Thanks
    LeafyYT

Posted Jan 17, 2020
  2. Hey!

I think my only tip is to have the right intentions. If you do, everything else becomes easy, writing a good application, reviewing, doing well in the interview, etc. Secondly, be honest. Be honest with not only the recruiters, but with yourself, “Do I really want this?”, “Is this right for me?”, etc. Most of the time recruiters can see dishonesty and deny you. But in the off chance you get accepted without having the right intentions or while being dishonest, it won’t be fun for you as Trainee is a lot more than just a tag. Keep that in mind.

~Nick

Posted Jan 17, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 17, 2020
  3. Thanks for the help! :wink:

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 17, 2020
    FreakingNick likes this.
  4. Hello!

I'm not exactly the most qualified person to respond to this. As you can tell, I'm only but a community member. However, I have made it past the application stage of the recruitment process a couple of times so I'd be willing to share a few helpful tips that you might find useful when writing your application.

1. Make sure that when you right, you include a lot of relevant detail and try to elaborate on it as much as you can. A common error for a lot of people is that they just sort of ramble on about something just to boost the word count of the application and forget about the quality. I know this phrase is overused, but remember, it's quality over quantity.

2. Be confident. I constantly find people who are questioning their capability and the quality of their application. When going into anything in life like this, it is important to maintain an confident, but not arrogant attitude. It helps you focus better on the task before you and helps you avoid wasting effort worrying. Confidence is key.

3. Like @FreakingNick said, honesty is highly important. Lying about anything, even small, can get you denied. If you said on your app that you are always helpful in-game and try to be friendly to everyone but in reality you spend time playing games on your own and talking to no one, you could potentially be denied for that. Even if it's not necessarily going to look the best for you, honesty is a defining quality of a staff member and essential.

4. If you get denied, do message the recruiters. This seems like a relatively small part of the whole process, but it's important for you in the future. If you get denied for Trainee and have any intention of applying again, messaging the recruiters to simply ask for more insight into their denial reason for you is a sure way to figure out not only how to improve your application but grow as a person. I'm speaking from experience here when I say this.

5. Lastly, make sure you're in it for the right reasons. A lot of the time people are applying simply for the tag and fail to consider what their motivation actually is. Sometimes, it may not even be apparent to you that your reason for applying is for power. Make sure you know you're going into the application for the right reasons so that not only will you enjoy your job, but have a better chance at being accepted. If you think you're in it for the power and the fame, you might want to hold off.

Anyways, I hope these were helpful for you. Good luck with your application!

Posted Jan 17, 2020
    Leafy and ScarletBlood37 like this.
  5. Know what you want to get yourself into. Issues I quickly experienced as a former senior moderator was burnout. A large part of the time, when you apply, you’re young and think you can bite off more than you can chew. I thought that way, until I was doing so much that it became too much. Activity declined and I felt an intense case of burnout at a young age, not just on Minecraft, but in real life. Mineplex was apart of my life, but it became all of my life, and that was an issue. The staff team is not easy. If you have the time, knowledge, and dedication, that’ll carry you a long way.

Posted Jan 17, 2020
    Leafy, BasicT, AyyNick and 5 others like this.
  6. Hey!

A personal tip from me is to make sure that you have good time management skills. Being on the Staff team is a role that requires you to dedicate quite a lot of time to your moderation duties, and at times when life is busy with school/work or anything else, you'll need to know how to manage your time to ensure you don't fall behind with your work on both Mineplex and school/work or anything irl related. So I would suggest working on your time management skills, it took me a few years to develop good time management skills, and now I have no issues with completing my moderation duties along with getting things I need to get done irl like school work! Good luck for when applying, and if you want more help with completing your application, you should read this helpful guide: www.mineplex.com/bat2!

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy and ScarletBlood37 like this.
  7. Hey!

Two years ago I was a Moderator here on Mineplex, and I was also a Recruiter Assistant for (I believe) 3 or so months. As someone who used to actually read applications, I can give you a few tips as to what I was looking for personally when reading a players Trainee application. However, you should take my advice with a grain of salt considering I haven't been apart of the Trainee recruitment process since early June of 2018.

Something that some people really fail to realise about the trainee recruitment process is that its entire purpose is to find potential. The application is designed to be a place where players can showcase the qualities that they have (such as their personal characteristics, their intentions and their overall life experiences), and give the aspiring Trainee the opportunity to explain why they think that these qualities would allow them to be a good staff member. In my personal opinion, the best applications were the ones that were clearly able to showcase these things about themselves, and then draw direct links to why these things show just how much potential they have. Mineplex isn't looking to promote people straight to moderator: you're allowed to not have flawless game knowledge and you're allowed to be make humane mistakes. It's just about showing the recruiters that you're worth the effort of recruiting. They want people to be recruited who are likely to put in the effort and be motivated to do their best at working towards the Moderator rank.

This means that whilst having good activity on all aspects of the network is important, it won't stand alone get you accepted as Trainee. A super-active player with poor intentions is probably less likely to be accepted than a player who is moderately-active, but has the right intentions.

I hope I helped! Feel free to ask me any additional questions about applying for Trainee in PM. I might not be as helpful as a current staff member, but I'm more than willing to do my best to give you as much non rule-breaking advice as I can give.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  8. In my opinion, to become a trainee you need to have a genuine passion to improve the server. Recruiters can easily sniff out whether or not you're just applying for the tag. Make sure that your intentions are to genuinely improve the server. Another tip would be to set goals in advance, whilst on the staff team. Life can come at you pretty quickly during your first few weeks as a staff member, so being prepared is key: instead of overwhelming yourself with loads of work, do take breaks, and focus specifically on what you need to improve on. Managing time is key, as being a staff member requires a bit of a time commitment, and with school, amongst other things, you may find yourself exhausted. Managing your schedule is one key tip I would definitely suggest.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy likes this.
  9. Becoming a trainee is a huge step, and it will change your stay on Mineplex completely. Many people above have given very well and detailed tips on how to make it through the process, and you should really listen to these tips. If there would be anything else, I would ask you this question: If there was nothing called a "Trainee tag" ingame, would you still apply? Let's say that you could apply for a position on the server, but you would not stand out in chat, nor discord nor the forums. No one would really know that you had this rank/position on the network, except for you and the recruiters. Would you still give up so much time and effort for this? Many people would probably not apply then, which tells us that the fact that becoming a staff member comes with a lot of attention, might be an important reason why people actually apply.

If you know deep in down that you would still give up all the time and effort to work this no matter what rank/tag you'd have, then I'd say that you're a real person who actually wants to help others. Think about this, and see if you would really work for the position itself, and not the tag.

I wish you the best of luck when you apply, and I hope you got a bunch of tips that will help you on the way!

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    BasicT and Leafy like this.
  10. I read that your forum account has to be 2 weeks old. Are there any exceptions for this?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 18, 2020
  11. The recruiters expect that you've been on the forums for a good amount of time to understand all it's features, and how to use it properly. I'd recommend studying the forums for a while to be sure.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy likes this.
  12. Honestly, just be yourself and don't fake your personality. You'll find that if you do, you probably won't enjoy being staff. Think about what you want to achieve when you actually do become staff, and how that benefits the community. Revise over the rules and general server knowledge as much as you can, as it will help you in the long run. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, no one's perfect and you should have a positive mindset in order to help you develop. Don't apply for the sake of it, as being a staff member shouldn't really be a chore or something you wouldn't look forward to. You will have to dedicate time to the position. Lastly, being apart of the team can be really rewarding if you put the effort in, and you can look forward to many things. Good luck if you decide to apply!

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy likes this.
  13. Hey!
    I think one of the biggest things is to just be yourself. If you be yourself everything throughout the process is easy. When writing your application don't necessarily put what you think the recruitment team wants to hear, put what you want the recruitment team to hear about you! Make sure your knowledge is there and read over as much of the rules, forum rules and even discord to really make sure you have a grasp on them. Overall I would say just be yourself, the recruitment team is much more interested in seeing the real you and the real reason you want staff and not as much of you just saying things you think we want to hear.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy likes this.
  14. From being a 2x ex-staff member, I think the biggest part about being staff is having the right intentions and dedication. If you're not fully dedicated to Mineplex, you will find logging on every day a challenge. If you only want to apply for the tag, the popularity or the bragging rights then that will also make your staffing experience way harder and the Recruitment team will see through you like glass, eventually.

That's all from me :)

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy likes this.
  15. Heyo!

As an underage staff member I had to put extra work into my application, so I'm just going to tell some of the tips I used when writing my application for Trainee. First off, be yourself and apply for Trainee for a good reason. Don't apply for Trainee for the rank, do it to help out and contribute to Mineplex. Be yourself when writing your application, our Recruitment team will know when your lying. Secondly, go into DETAIL! Detail is so important, if you are telling a story or bringing up a point go into as much detail as possible! Those are just some of the tips I used and I really hope they help you!

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    Leafy likes this.