• 1576 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8742 Players Online
  • 7166 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

SSM map: Coastal Splashes ( Submitted )

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by GreenhouseM13, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Posted Dec 28, 2020
    Paladise and StyxKiller03 like this.
  2. Hi, I think this would be a great addition to the variety of maps we have at the moment, but I do want to critique it. First off, the map is way to small for a game of SSM and needs to be a whole lot bigger (maybe 3x the size). It also looks like plastic (best word I can use to describe) and think it can use a little more revamping on the details and touches of stuff. Overall though, its a really good concept and I would love to see a map like this but bigger! Good job! -XMasherniteX

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    Paladise likes this.
  3. I can see many potential problems with this map. First of all, there is a massive gap between the islands which only a few kits can go accross.

In my opinion, within the area the map is, there should be more land than void. Even small maps with lots of places to fall off have more land within the map itself than empty spots, and multiple ways to travel across the map aswell. In this map, most kits can only travel one direction to get from one island to another.

If you want to somewhat salvage this map, I would either add more islands in the empty space and make multiple ways to go from one islands or make a few of the islands larger and merge them so theres not a giant space of void in the middle. Also remove a lot of the water since its gonna cause a lot of world border deaths.

Imo this map looks more like a parkour map than something for ssm

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    pinfoil and Fusafez like this.
  4. Skeleton horse mains will thrive on this map lmao

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    ALotOfDragons and DJPenguinPro like this.
  5. Hey it's a sick idea but there are some issues which would need some fixing.

Firstly as people said above me the map is way too small for SSM. It needs to be much bigger with more islands and less void space so that all kits can travel through it no problem. There is a big amount of space and you can easily get knocked off which isn't good at all.

Secondly, I would try to incorporate more detail into the map. Right now it's really just water, sand, some dead bushes, and the same palm trees all over. For the biggest island after I would make it much bigger, I would make a portion of it just sand with maybe a little hill or something and then the river, rather than making the river alone take up all the space. When I think of coast, I think of the beach a lot, so more sand is needed.

Thirdly, I would work on the island bottoms. In the first image, the top right island is very weirdly flat on one side. There are plenty of videos on youtube which show tutorials for natural, pretty looking islands so experiment and give the map some variety.

While mentioning variety, I would also use more blocks in the islands, not only stone. Use andesite and gravel for a good block palette. You can also use two different types of leaves for the palm trees.

Lastly, I would vary the height of palm trees for extra detail, as well as maybe building some small seashells or whatnot.

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    pinfoil and Fusafez like this.
  6. this aint it chief
    [​IMG]

Posted Dec 28, 2020
  7. The map lacks : detail , variety , layout , structure
    When you are building something , you don't use a single block type , you use a whole palette . An example for the cliffs : Cobblestone and its varieties , stone , andesite , gravel , mossy cobblestone ,gray wool and so on.
    For a map with a name such as coastal splashes , there aren't many splashes. The build lacks story and life , imagine an archipelago that was suddenly sent to the sky . There would be a lot of water dripping from the sides everywhere and there would be some fish falling off (just a little detail i think people would like) .
    For a coast it has very little sand and coast like stuff.
    The build needs more details but i'm not very good at putting words together in English so i can't tell you exactly what to do.
    Then again . Good job on making a map , not many people even try to do that. And don't worry ,you will become better over time ,as everyone else did.

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    Ducksicle, OraKOjaVA and DJPenguinPro like this.
  8. I really like the concept of this map. However, as the people above me said, it lacks a lot of detail, different blocks, structure, etc. But I like where this is going

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    Ducksicle likes this.
  9. Hey! I really like the idea you have gone for with this map theme. As someone who has also submitted maps for Mineplex I have a few pointers! Aesthetic and gameplay are both crucial things to take into consideration when making a map. As of now, you have a good start for a map but some work does need to be done. As of now the map lacks detail, the map looks very plain and looks likes plastic, for lack of a better word. You should consider adding different blocks to switch it up some. As for gameplay, I see a few problems. 1) the islands are to spread out, this will grant unfair advantages to specific kits. Maybe add bridges to connect them, or find some other kind of creative way to link them all together. 2) the size seems a bit small, so maybe consider adding on to the islands. These are just some things that I would change if this were my map, don’t feel the need to implement any of these!! Best of luck on the submission!

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    Hubble likes this.
  10. I would focus on gameplay and map structure before listening to the advice people give for the design. Plus, fixing the map structure could help this map look better anyway.

The design isnt too aesthetically pleasing to look at but its an easy fix on your part by adding more variety and using different blocks. So change gameplay first.

Posted Dec 28, 2020
    Ducksicle and Omegza like this.
  11. YO! THAT IS COOL! But how did you make that so fast without worldedit?

Posted Jan 4, 2021
  12. Map has a lot of void spots and small bridges connecting islands. Also the islands are not great looking

Posted Jan 7, 2021
    pinfoil and shihanna like this.
  13. this is a perfect map for MAGUMA KYUUBu

Posted Jan 7, 2021
    PhoenixSky likes this.
  14. Omg is perfect! How did you do that ? You definitely have talent. I will wait for the best results from you!

Posted Jan 18, 2021
  15. Hey! I play SSM A LOT and I like this map, but I also think that there are a couple problems with it.

Good things about the map
    -It is a creative design
    -I like the theme of the map and the colors you used
    -It looks cool!

Problems
    -The islands are a little small and there is a lot of void. Maybe you could build bigger islands in the middle part so that there is more room to play.
    -Some of the islands look too hard to access. But if you move some of the islands closer together and make them bigger, then that won't be a problem.

If you can fix some of this stuff, then this would be a great map to have on SSM!

good luck on getting it accepted btw

Posted Jan 21, 2021,
    Last edited Jan 21, 2021
    Paladise likes this.