• 783 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3362 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion SSM 1v1 Mode

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Dynamic, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Hey guys! I'm here to propose a gamemode of Super Smash Mobs. As an avid player of SSM, I believe that a 1v1 mode would really allow people to truly test their skill level:

SSM 1v1:
    -Competitive
    -Normal

Competitive:
    -Skill ratings
    -plus everything in normal
    -Only B, B+, A, A+ Mobs
    -3 Islands
    -3 rounds

Normal:
    -Smaller map than normal ssm
    -5 Islands
    -5 rounds

Achievements:
    -Average, everyday achievements
    -Leaderboard achievement (500 gems)
    -Combos achievement (combo-ing someone multiple times without their retaliation)

I hope you like my idea.

Posted Nov 29, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 29, 2019
    xOeuf likes this.
  2. Hello!

I don't see much of a need for this honestly. As cool as it would be, it's a huge overhaul for a game that we pretty much already have. If you don't know, a far easier alternative to this is an MPS, where any amount of people can fight each other in SSM. Coding this game, making maps for it, and fine-tuning it till it fits the standards you have set for it seems like an unnecessary effort to recreate something we can do with just 5 minutes in an MPS.

Overall, I don't like this idea and would not like to see it implemented.

Posted Nov 29, 2019
    Xukuri likes this.
  3. Why only those mobs? I don't see why there couldn't be every mob. Especially if it's meant to be competitive, it makes no sense to remove some mobs just because they're better (I'm assuming B is the lowest tier). If this were to be added, the mobs would have to be made more balanced otherwise it wouldn't be very competitive or fun, and if your favourite kit was unplayable, that would suck and you wouldn't play it.

All of my other issues with it have been covered by @saltyfishhy and I agree that, at least in this state, this shouldn't be added.

Posted Nov 29, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  4. Can't you just do this in a MPS... I don't think there is a need for single player SSm

Posted Nov 29, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  5. Hello,
    Although this could be a cool idea, I do not think that it would be a successful game mode. SSM already has two modes, teams of 2 and 1v1v1v1. Adding this mode would be unnecessary and would only divide the SSM players and have less games start in all three modes. In addition, having the different versions of this mode that you listed would be too tedious to create. Having to develop completely new SSM aspects and map types would not be worth this spin off gamemode. Lastly, I do not see why it should be limited to only a certain few kits. This would likely not come across well to the players who use the kits that do not make that list. Overall, your idea is good in theory, but would be too costly to execute to be worthwhile. Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a -1 from me. Have a nice day!

Posted Nov 29, 2019
  6. Hmm, I'm not too keen on this idea. SSM is already split up into two since we have Solos and Duos for SSM, so my biggest worry about this would be that we would be splitting up the SSM community even more than it already is. Additionally, adding this in would split it up yet again since you suggested having both Normal and Competitive, so this adds to my worth about the games of Normal SSM and Duos could start taking longer to begin.

For competitive, I'm not too sure why you're limiting it to certain kits. If people want to be able to use whatever they want, I say let them go for it. While you and the overall SSM community might see it as a kit that is very good, another player simply might not like using it, and instead they like to use another one, so I'm not sure why this would be limited even though it is Competitive.

For Normal, my only real concern would be that all of these maps would need to be changed since you suggested changing the size of the map, which would take a lot of time from our Builders. As for the other aspects, I like it! It has more rounds than a normal games, so each player has a larger change of making a comeback and learning the kit they chose.

Again, I really am not sure about the achievements. For the Combo achievement, that can easily, easily be abused if someone just gets an alt and combos them. It's basically a free achievement in my opinion. Furthermore, I'm not sure if there needs to be specific achievements for this game, as it's basically SSM, which we already have achievements for. As an example, we don't have separate achievements for Duos and Standard Cake Wars, so I think leaving them as they are already is the best way to go.

Posted Dec 3, 2019
    xOeuf likes this.
  7. Couldn’t you just go into an MPS and get two people to 1v1 and do it in that way, you can also choose your map in MPS’s by right clicking the game before selecting it!

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  8. I actually really like this. It's far-fetched, but imagine a ranked system with all kits (not just the tiers you listed), a small starting lobby to choose maps and chat in, and then a manual start button. You enter any map of your choice and fight it out, and are ranked based on K/D & wins. It'd be such a fun way to fight, especially in a game-mode that's already quite competitive.

Players don't always want to fight a four-man FFA, and neither do they want to open an MPS just to duke it out there, with no real merit to be had. The downfall of MPS games for 1v1's is that there's no set way to keep track of stats, and neither do you get rewards. It doesn't seem like such a huge deal, but it's a great QOL change to the server that I could easily imagine implemented; same maps, same game, basic leaderboard. It adds such an incentive to play the game and excel, pushing players to reach new limits and play to the best of their abilities.

I feel like this mindset of it being 'too hard to code and develop' is quite overblown. It's a simple idea derived from a game that we already have, and only slight adjustments need to be made in order to ensure its success.
    Maps don't need to be heavily modified - they're fine as they are for 1v1's. High mobility of kits in SSM allows for larger maps to be played - these distances don't serve too much issue, although they can be removed to limit the game to smaller maps such as 'Mushroom Islands' or 'Wasted Lands', if they become an issue; maps that cannot easily be camped on can be used for the game mode. Players can be timed to 7 minutes total (half of a 1v1v1v1), and a more aggressive hunger loss can be incorporated to push players to constantly fight. Just a few tiny tweaks to an already existing game could easily be set to make a new, interesting change!

-Use a pool of smaller existing maps
    -Create leaderboards
    -Tweak basic game settings
    -Create a new lobby - even just a single island with a simple GUI to choose maps from, with a "select/deselect ready status" item.

Posted Dec 3, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 7, 2019
    EnderCreeperJack likes this.
  9. WTF what? NO! WTF

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  10. I am not really a big fan of this idea because SSM already has a good 1v1v1v1 game mode. Plus people can just do MPS's to do 1v1's. Also if you were to add a 1v1 game mode it would also split the SSM players which would result into less games for the normal game mode. That's all I wanted to add onto that since everyone above me as already stated everything else I was going to say. -1

Thanks for suggesting! And good luck on the rest of yours!!

Posted Dec 6, 2019
  11. Ok, I love 1 v 1 Idea's for all modes and this one isnt different. I see a lot of people not liking this idea, but I always love the personal display of skill shown when fighting just one other opponent( I personally love 1 v 1's). You focus all your attention on them and not having to worry about being cleaned up or having your opponent say "LUL Team Game". For those who suggested MPS, there are times where people would want to do something different or there are too many players or you cant get your own friend online or maybe you want a different opponent that isnt your friend. I think 1 v 1 modes should be implemented in general for as many gamemodes simply because it appeals to another diverse set of audiences and breaks the norm of all gamemodes. Maybe something like a ranked mode like what XOeuf suggested. Nothing except for time lost making solo for SSM, and in exchange Mineplex gets a lot more flexibility and options for the future and more appeal to different types of players.

Posted Dec 7, 2019
    xOeuf likes this.
  12. I will say, I'm not a super big fan of this idea. As WxlfBoyH_ mentioned earlier, you could just go and play SSM with a friend in an MPS. But if you're wanting to play someone completely random, I guess this would be rather okay. I just don't really think it would fit, that's just my personal opinion. Good luck on your idea!

Posted Dec 7, 2019
  13. Hi there,

I am usually in support of adding an extra level of competitiveness to our game modes, however, I don't fully support this idea. As others have said, SSM is already split up into two separate game modes: SSM Teams (2v2v2v2) & SSM Solos (1v1v1v1). I believe this current system is balanced, in the sense that we have enough players at most times throughout the day to get games started in a reasonable amount of time. Adding another game mode would only spread out our SSM player base more. This would not be beneficial to the server, as it will take longer for games to start, especially for our current SSM game modes which require more players than a 1v1 game mode would. In addition, I'm not sure why you are restricting the use of certain kits in Ranked 1v1s. If possible, can you please elaborate on this? I believe we should allow players to use whichever kit they want when playing, as some players may not actively use the allowed mobs.

Although I don't necessarily agree with implementing another SSM game mode, I believe there is an alternative method that may accomplish the same thing you are suggesting.

Instead of flat-out adding a 1v1 game mode, I would suggest possibly substituting it with one of our current SSM game modes. I'm confident in saying that SSM Solos is more actively played than SSM Teams. Moreover, the decision would be the community's choice if they would rather have a 1v1 SSM game mode over the current team's version. Personally, I would be against substituting any of the SSM game modes since we currently have a working system and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that if the majority of the community is not in agreement. However, if you really want to 1v1 someone, you can! If either you or the person you want to 1v1 has the LEGEND rank or higher, you can simply create an MPS and set it to SSM Solos.

Posted Dec 7, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 7, 2019
  14. This wouldn't work because the game is built around hard counters. Certain kits just exploit weaknesses in others, so it wouldn't be a whole lot of fun to play against the same counters every game whenever you go for something. If both players were the same kit, then maybe it would work, but even then i don't think it would be as popular due to the fact that players might not be playing their favorite kit as often.

Posted Dec 7, 2019
  15. Heyo!

1v1s are usually a fun way of adding another layer of competitiveness in players and urges them to work on improving their skills. In this situation, I'm not so sure though.

SSM has many kits, and they all try to balance each other out as best as they can, but some kits just don't stand a chance against other kits, if the players have the same skill level. Because of this, if a competitive 1v1 style gamemode was added for SSM, it wouldn't be an even playing field for the players, and players would not find themselves enjoying the experience unless they were the player that was using the kit that had the large advantage.

For this reason and others listed above, I won't be supporting the idea. However, in an MPS you can 1v1 players in SSM whenever you feel like, and although it wouldn't keep track of any competitive rankings etc., I still recommend it! :)

Posted Dec 7, 2019
  16. Oh boy I can't wait for the amount of hackers that are going to ruin it :D

Posted Dec 9, 2019 at 3:06 AM