• 337 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7767 Players Online
  • 7430 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Speed Builders - Spectate When Initially Showcasing Builds

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Ducksicle, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Okay can someone explain why this hasn't been implemented in the first place? Why is it that players go into spectator mode only AFTER they've completed the build? It would make it much easier for us if we could spectate when each build is first being showcased, before we start building. This way, we can view the top of the build. It would be much less work than going into f5 mode every time a new build is being shown.

Posted Jun 1, 2021
  2. I think that adds to the challenge and mystique of some builds. You really have to practice in order to get them right the first times you play. Something I will say that annoys me about Speed Builders is that bug where you get tp'ed to the middle island when GWEN is judging builds (and you can see through the whole map in a glitchy way). I wish they'd fix that. Oh, and also ghost blocks.

Posted Jun 1, 2021
    makw likes this.
  3. Yeah, this is holding the people who don't grind to memorize every build even more to the people who do. At least let you leap before the building time starts. I hate being in an MPS where there are SB tryhards and I can't even see the entire build, I atleast want a chance to complete it lol.

Posted Jun 1, 2021
    Ducksicle and Paladise like this.
  4. What builds can you not see the entirety of just from running around and looking at it? Also, what builds do you currently need to go into 3rd person view to see the entirety of?

Posted Jun 1, 2021
  5. Anything that is tall that you can't see the top of. i.e., a lamp (don't play too much so idk builds)

Posted Jun 1, 2021
    Ducksicle likes this.
  6. The one build that immediately comes to mind is the drum one. I didn't know this build, and you're given red clay and gray wool. You can't see the top, to instinctually you'd fill in the entire thing with red clay and later realize that underneath and on top of the drum is gray. I lost this round yesterday simply because I couldn't see the top or bottom, and if I were able to see the top, I would know that the bottom was also symmetrical.

This goes for pretty much any build too (that you can't see the top of). It's unfair because some people who play speed builders a lot have already memorized each build, but when I want to casually play I mess up because I wasn't even able to see the whole build in the first place.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 1, 2021
    Tanish_ likes this.
  7. Yeah the 3rd person question was a bit dumb in retrospect, but in my experience, you can just F5 them and see where things are.

Posted Jun 1, 2021
  8. Someone who plays a lot more SB than I do has just told me that you can see the top of that one just using F5. Also, I would like to say that the game is quite clearly about memorisation, and so you shouldn't necessarily expect to be able to complete every build first try. There are a lot of complex builds that take a few tries to get the hang of, and that should be okay.

Also, what I do is just keep an eye on how many of each block I've been given. I don't recall this drum one you're talking about, but surely you would have gotten a lot more grey wool than you would have initially assumed you'd get from just looking at the outside, so you should be able to infer that the top and bottom are made from grey wool. That's a technique I've used for other builds.

Posted Jun 1, 2021
  9. Yes I already stated this, but I'm saying that if everyone has access to f5 mode, why not make it easier for us and just let us spectate??? There's no harm in adding this feature and it would guarantee less frustration for a lot of players like myself.
    This is a dumb argument only because not everyone mains this game. A lot of us will play speed builders once in a while and I think it would be much more fair if we all could see the entirety of the build before we start building. There is too much we aren't able to see, like the top, the bottom, and the inside of the builds. The least you can do is allow us to view the top, because this would give us hints for the rest of the build that isn't exposed. We can't memorize something we weren't completely exposed to in the first place.

I mean definitely, but that's not the point. The whole point of speed builders is to build fast. I seriously don't enjoy this game anymore because it's frustrating when I lose simply because I can't see the top and it ends up ruining the rest of my build. Most casual players will try to build fast out of instinct, not waste time looking at their number of blocks (unless the build is not large). For larger builds, there isn't time to look at our number of blocks and we're pressured to build as fast as possible. Regardless, spectator mode would be extremely helpful and I still don't know why it wasn't implemented in the first place, especially when we go into spectator mode AFTER the build is complete

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 1, 2021
  10. I think this should be added, I don’t play this often but it is harder to see the blocks at the top.

Posted Jun 1, 2021
  11. I actually agree with this. I am a casual (moreso once in a lifetime) type of player for speedbuilders, and I would genuinely appreciate this being added as well. I know that the game is about memorization, but @Ducksicle does bring up a good point about how it makes it frustrating for casual players, especially those who aren't trying to main the game but just enjoy it. This would make the game more appealing to newer players and perhaps even grow the playerbase around it, especially considering that Speed Builders is one of the more popular gamemodes on the network. This is also going to benefit those who main the game anyway, as it makes it easier on them as well to see it. I will agree that going into f5 is a way to see the builds, but it can get annoying at times, and this seems like a simple but welcomed implementation that would make the game better.

Thanks for suggesting!

Posted Jun 2, 2021
    Ducksicle likes this.
  12. I'm mixed on this idea, I can see how it would be a good thing to implement, but at the same time the current system brings an element of challenge to the game mode. I'm leaning more towards saying we should implement this though, because I agree that for the more casual player base, it's frustrating for them to not be able to completely see each build well. Whether builds can be seen completely with/without F5 or not, adding the spectator option at the start would be a nice addition so that players can have a proper look around the whole build and spend longer focusing on specific details of the build.

So overall, I'm leaning more towards +1 however I do agree with anyone else that mentions how this brings an element of challenge to the game.

Posted Jun 2, 2021
  13. I get that, but don't you think the variation of difficulty in builds are what creates challenge in the game? There are some builds that are pretty large and others that are detailed and challenging to remember. I think that is what mainly gives player a challenge, but being unable to see the entirety of builds creates more frustration than so enjoyable challenges.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 2, 2021
  14. I would love to see this happen - denying players, especially casuals, from seeing certain parts of many builds unless they try to use F5 (which doesn't let you see anything in certain builds anyways) is a pretty dumb way to add challenge, in my opinion. I feel that the game is challenging enough already, with how many builds there are and how little time there is, and don't see why we have to make it even harder.

Also, some players won't even know to use F5. There is that one toilet paper build and I did not clock that I could use F5 to see it, and completely messed up on it, having no idea where the wood was meant to go and where exactly the wool was meant to go - if I remember correctly, the build is hollow which only made me mess up more, as I had the thought that no build is meant to be hollow. Anyways, I know I haven't been the only one to come across this but I know it can be really frustrating for new players. The majority of SBs playerbase are newer players, and, as I mentioned before, the game is hard as is, so they should really be able to at least see the full build at the start.

tl;dr - I agree completely. \o/

Posted Jun 2, 2021
    Name Tag and Ducksicle like this.
  15. Ah yes, I've made a post like this in the past, that sadly got denied. I still think it's a good idea though.

I said we should be able to double jump during view time, but one of the reasons it was denied is because "there's not many builds that require you to see the top of them."

Well they added new builds, and now there's more of them that I can't see from the ground, or even in f5 mode, so I think the spectate idea is even more relevant. As people said earlier, it is good for newer players because they can get a better idea of what the whole thing is supposed to look like.

Posted Jun 12, 2021
    Ducksicle likes this.
  16. I am not exactly the best speed builders player and neither am I a part of the speed builders community but I do play sometimes and I am aware of the way that the game works so I wanted to express my opinion on this matter.
    I believe that this feature should definitely be added, as it makes the game, not necessarily easier, but definitely more satsifying and fun to play. In my opinion, it makes sense that you have the full available view of the structure that you are supposed to recreate.
    You could argue that it adds a level of difficulty into the game, however, I do not consider the game to be more difficult this way, but rather more frustrating, especially for the newer players that do not have most of the builds memorized yet.
    Definitely a +1 for me due to the reasons stated above.

Posted Jun 15, 2021
    Ducksicle likes this.
  17. This was something i really wanted to be implemented in the game but i never made a forum post about it because i don't play the game much. However since Ducksicle has made this post i will support this 100%. It really got on my nerves how i had to change perspective to view the top of builds whenever i played this game. Sometimes due to my somewhat low fov i had to jump to look at the build because of how high it was. Moreover running around the build is a lot slower than flying around it in spectator mode.

I would also like to say that if spectator cannot be added at least the option to fly can be added when the build is showcased.

Posted Jun 15, 2021
    Ducksicle likes this.