• 288 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6769 Players Online
  • 6481 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Smash Crystals Aren't That Big of a Deal...

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by Pizzazilla, Nov 12, 2020.

1. I was just playing SSM as usual. I was fighting some dude in a lobby and then the crystal came from the sky. I was able to get the crystal before they were able to, so I used it when they got me to low health. I was playing squid and they were creeper. I guess that gave me kind of an advantage to the crystal, but not by much. This was their following reaction.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I mean I don't necessarily disagree... but still kind of an overreaction to a minigame on a Minecraft server. Just play the game it's not that big of a deal.

I honestly want smash crystals to be removed, but while they're in the game, I'm gonna use them.

Posted Nov 12, 2020
  2. I personally don't mind players who just use the crystal normally and play the game as its intended.

Its when people purposefully run and abuse the system and rely on crystals that ruin it for everyone.

While not everyone will respect it, its your choice to play the game the way you want to within the rules of course.

Posted Nov 12, 2020
    ilyLegend likes this.
  3. Yeah I see how that can be annoying, but personally, I do not avoid people enough to abuse the crystal imo

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 12, 2020
  4. I personally understand why players want the smash crystal to be gone. You could be perfectly winning a game, but someone manages to collect a crystal before you do and most of the time you'll be killed by it without any chance of recovery (creeper's atomic explosion, golem's earthquake, etc). I do admit that I use smash crystals when I find them necessary, mostly with the same mindset as you do.

I'm not sure if GI is planning to remove smash crystals in the next SSM update as I didn't see the doc yet, but I'm sure it's something that has been discussed several times already and will hopefully get addressed in the future.

Posted Nov 12, 2020
  5. I always use my Sheep crystal, not sure why it's such a big deal

Posted Nov 12, 2020
  6. I dislike when people think this way, as the smash crystal is an intended feature of the game and is meant to be used, it does not make you a bad player if you use it. I usually use it as a "saving grace" nowadays however, to be able to get back full health and get out of a bad situation, and less to use it to kill someone, as I find it avoids these confrontations I see in a game a bit. I hope to see some sort of preference feature where they can be disabled in games instead of completely removed, they are still an integral feature of the game and it wold be sad to see them removed.

Posted Nov 12, 2020
    Sven and Paladise like this.
  7. Personally I'd love to see smash crystals. It's especially irritating when you're up against a smash crystal with a long duration that can remove multiple of your stocks like enderman or blaze.

Also I can't really see the reaction

Posted Nov 12, 2020,
    Last edited Nov 12, 2020
  8. The sheep crystal doesn't even do anything other than healing you I think.

Posted Nov 12, 2020
  9. I didnt say you do that, I was just making a general statement.

To respond to the other replies that say smash crystals shouldn't be removed, theres
    many legitimate reasons why they should.

While they are a cool looking mechanic, I think gameplay still matters more, and smash crystals just throw off the balance since some kits have useless crystals while others can take up to 3 stocks.

The best compromise I can think of is to make the smash crystals worse for kits that can easily get them. AKA horse, blaze, and squid.

Posted Nov 12, 2020,
    Last edited Nov 12, 2020
    Grant138 likes this.
  10. Just because it's in the game doesn't mean it's balanced. The worst part of crystals is the healing itself, aside from the overpowered/underpowered ability that is tied to it. This unnecessarily stalls out games to longer times IMO. In a situation you should have died in, you now have the upper hand suddenly, just because you got the crystal just by existing in the drop location. Some may see this as a good thing, but I personally see it as a bad thing. I think winning a game of SSM should involve skill over luck, and crystals have a ton of random elements tied to them which is generally not good in terms of competitiveness.

When I was last on GI, we still had plans to make smash crystals to vote on whether crystals will spawn or not, with it defaulting to not spawning if there is not a majority. Anyways, the reason I said above is generally why people don't like crystals, I hope most people can understand.

Posted Nov 13, 2020
    allykaty!, Mitchy, Chpinkles and 2 others like this.
  11. Not to mention for Magma Slime reverts them back to its smallest form. Honestly, some smash crystals are more op than others like Squid, Wither Skeleton, Pig, Endy, Blaze, Skeletal horse, etc

Voting could be a nice option. Maybe reform the smash crystals so that it automatically ends after one kill. Simply getting rid of them is the easiest solution but only satisfies the competitive player-base and not so much those who play it for fun/more casually.

For competitive players, there's a common 'respect' or 'unofficial code' that out of respect for the other players, you don't use it. But you're right, it's an intended feature of the game although calls to greatly reform it/get rid of it have not been answered in the last few years since the game was last updated.

And honestly, updating SSM in any way is going to make some area of the community angry. Even the blowback with maps was a bit intense when new ones were introduced.

Posted Nov 13, 2020
    Worpp likes this.
  12. High skilled players want a level playing field. Smash crystal disrupts that and removes the skill aspect by introducing an (arguably) inescapable advantage. If you want to use it - cool, but there are obvious caveats in using them and then calling your game a "fair fight". Yes, it is intended, mostly because of Smash Bro's original use of the crystal within their Nintendo games, but I feel that phrase "fair to use" is arguable.
    Generally, I notice that those of a higher win count tend to expect those of equal standing to honor the idea of not using the crystal, and subsequently become mad when it is used, stating that it does not allow their opponent to show their true skill and honor the 1v1. It may be a flawed method of thinking, but it is just another observation and form of "etiquette" (per se) that some people like to uphold.

Sounds pretentious - it kind of is. Those are just the expectations some people have. I'm not defending it; simply rationalizing the practise.

Posted Nov 13, 2020
    Octex, allykaty!, Mitchy and 2 others like this.
  13. As long as it's in the game, the game is called Super Smash Mobs. Key word, "Smash". The crystal is a part of the game, and has been for years. Players should just respect that it's in the game, and that getting the crystal is an aspect of the game. Sure, it may be frustrating to lose due to not getting the Smash Crystal, but you'll surely win games the same way at some point by using them.

It is common etiquette as @xOeuf stated to not use the crystal, but I believe that in the case someone were to use it you can't really blame them. It's a part of the game, and we as players need to accept that. Potentially by voicing your opinions, maybe that could lead to the developers removing that aspect of the game from SSM.

-n2l

Posted Nov 15, 2020,
    Last edited Nov 17, 2020
    xOeuf likes this.
  14. I recall you calling me an "awful player with no skill" last month for using the Smash crystal on you despite you having 40 times my wins. I don't know if your stance has changed over the times but please stay consistent with your beliefs xox

Posted Nov 16, 2020
  15. when i drop people w Pheonix they get so mad like chile bro

Posted Nov 16, 2020
    xOeuf likes this.