• 921 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8649 Players Online
  • 7728 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Sidebar scoreboard for Bedrock server (the same one from Java)

Discussion in 'Bedrock Ideas' started by IWantACookiieee, Feb 11, 2021.

?

Should sidebar scoreboards be added?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. I would like to see sidebar scoreboard implemented to the Bedrock server. It would make the bedrock server be similar to a java server. Of course, there should be an option to disable sidebar scoreboard and use action bars (Mobile players might turn off the feature since it takes a chunk of their screen). Examples of sidebar scoreboards are below:

[​IMG]
    Lobby Scoreboard
    [​IMG]
    Cake Wars Duos Scoreboard

Do you agree with adding it to the server?

Posted Feb 11, 2021
    Mothy, Jet Starglaze and yvuggu like this.
  2. It could work, but like you said in your thread, i would want a way to turn it off. This idea seems good, but for the rank thing, maybe it would only appear if you have a rank, because it would be useless to the majority of bedrock players, and it would be a waste of space. Personally i dont know if i would use this, im very used to the toolbar version. I mean, for people who play java on the reg, and if they come to bedrock, they could use that if they are very used to it. i voted yes on the poll because it would have an option to switch it off, and if people want it they can use it, its not forced or anything.

Posted Feb 11, 2021
    Kight and IWantACookiieee like this.
  3. I don’t see any issue with this as most servers have this. Overall like this idea.

Posted Feb 21, 2021
    IWantACookiieee likes this.
  4. Like most Bedrock feature suggestions, I would love to see this implemented but only after Development has addressed most of the more crucial bugs that plague the server. Fixes for lag, server uptime and interoperability, reworking KB, and other QOL bug fixes that are pretty integral to the user experience come first before adding new features.

But, again, in a world where most of the bugs have been patched I would love to see this implemented.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  5. Hello!

From what I understand, we do not use the sidebar feature currently because on small screens, like your mobile phone, it takes up a lot of your screen real estate and makes it harder to see the game. While I agree some things could very well be displayed better on a sidebar (like Cake Wars Duos, that is really difficult to have on the action bar), I doubt we will use the sidebar because of this issue or develop it so that some users view our server one way and others another.

The idea seems great in concept but I sadly don’t think it will work implemented.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  6. Thats why the option would be toggleable. I see java players coming to bedrock, on their pcs and being more familiar with the scoreboard, so they would be able to use that instead of tooltips. Mobile players would still be able to play like before, its just that the option would be there for people who want it. This exists on cubecraft and i dont see why it shouldnt for mineplex

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  7. I understand your point but other featured and non featured servers have this and seems to work well.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  8. it would be nice have tho

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  9. Neutral on this idea. It could work out for players that play on pc or consoles, but it may not fair well for players on mobile like you have stated. Lots of players on mobile play on a phone that does not really have a large screen and a scoreboard will probably get in the way of gameplay. An option to disable that would probably make up for that, however still not really sure how much people are going to be using it.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
    whalker likes this.
  10. Hi,

Personally, I'm not really a fan of this idea, and it's precisely the reason @whalker brought up. As a mobile player, I have to be certain that, when I include a sidebar scoreboard on one of my maps, that it doesn't take up too much space on the screen. The way the Java scoreboard works, it would take up too much space on my tiny phone, so if it were to be implemented, it would need to be changed heavily.

In response to the argument that other servers have it, I was on one of those servers yesterday and it took up a significant area of my screen. Spoiler: my game was affected.

Next up, the topic of it being toggleable, as you and @Jet Starglaze mentioned: How would this work? Would the bossbars and actionbar tips still show for the sidebar players, or would we non-sidebar players be left in the dark on this?

Overall, I think some things need to be cleared up/worked out. Sorry for the long post, and hope I was able to shed some light on a few issues.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  11. Not much feedback to give,

I know where gyro stands on this & my own personal opinion tends to agree, they're too big on mobile and have a negative effect on gameplay. I would be fine with having them in the lobby, but do not believe they should be implemented in games under any circumstances really. The only way I could see scoreboards being used in-game is by repurposing them into a custom UI like The Hive does which takes up significantly less space and is a lot less of an eye-sore.

Regards,
    Isaac

Posted Feb 22, 2021
    IWantACookiieee, whalker and zapig like this.
  12. mobile players dont need to have it on, they can play like before. Nothing would change. But if you have a xbox, pc or ps4, smothing with a bigger screen, then they could use that.cubecraft has the option of turning it off and on, its still toggleable, so i, on pc, could still keep using tooltips, its just the preferance of weather you want it or not, nothing would change if you dont have the scoreboard.

EDIT: @zapig to addres your point, i think the bossbar and tooltips should be on the scoreboard, as tehrs no reason why i should have 2 bits on info that are the same thing

Posted Feb 22, 2021
    Kight and IWantACookiieee like this.
  13. Yeah I was thinking just in the lobby.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
  14. Does this mean Gyro would need two ways of displaying the same information? That sounds like a bit of a pain to code, as he would need to make sure both ways are running perfectly all the time. To me, it doesn't really sound like a productive use of developer resources, especially considering what already needs to be done at this point in time. While I agree that more info should be displayed, especially in the lobby, this doesn't sound like the way to go about it. Sorry bud.

Posted Feb 22, 2021
    IWantACookiieee and DaPBillk like this.
  15. It seems like a cool concept and I would love the ability to see your kills displayed clearly, the only issue is mobile players where it may take up too much screen, obstructing the view of the game. Perhaps if you could turn it on and off?

Posted Feb 22, 2021
    Jet Starglaze, traincar100 and yvuggu like this.
  16. This sums up my reply, there's nothing else to say but this. Lobby scoreboards would be great for the amount of data we need to put there and the fact screen space doesn't affect gameplay b/c... it's a lobby. Game scoreboards won't happen because they're too small on mobile, and implementing platform-specific display methods is bad because a) it gives an advantage to PC users that get more info, b) it requires more work to support in each game, and c) it's antithetical to the nature of bedrock, which has all platforms 'together' and acting as similarly as possible (the whole point is minecraft should be the same on windows 10, ps4, xbox, etc).

The only other realistic solution for scoreboards/displaying more data known as of right now is, as I mentioned, creating the custom UI Hive has out of the scoreboard through resource packs, as they take up significantly less space.

Regards
    Isaac

Posted Feb 22, 2021
    IWantACookiieee, yvuggu and zapig like this.