• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Should You Tell The Truth?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mediocre_Player, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Mediocre_Player

Mediocre_Player

Should you tell the truth?

Hello people of Mineplex.

At some point in your life, you must have once spent a considerable amount of time pondering about this question - whether or not you should lie. Sometimes, we tell white lies to please people or make them feel appreciated, while sometimes some may blatantly lie for benefits. Whether it be white lies or 'black' lies, don't lie to me (pun intended) - we've all done it at least once.

Now, I have a question for you: should you tell the truth* after telling a lie? Oftentimes after telling a lie, we may sense waves of guilt or remorse, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Your ethic or morals will be having a fight with the devil inside of you, and you'll be left with a dilemma - whether you should build up on your previous lies or bust the lies by telling the truth. I want you to be rational and analyse the pros and cons of either building up on lies or telling the 'truth' (or both), no matter how big or small, important or trivial, the 'truth' is. Then come up with a conclusion to the question, because I'm really interested in reading different people's opinions.

Please include your thoughts but not lies in your responses!

*Not immediately after telling the lie

Posted Feb 22, 2019
    ClassN likes this.
  2. PapiKirito

PapiKirito

I haven't really told a "black lie" since I was young, as that goes against my moral code, so my response will be geared towards white lies.

Personally, I feel no guilt in telling white lies- so I'm not inclined to tell the truth after unless it somehow turns into a bigger situation. In my opinion, if you should come clean after the lie is completely situational. For example, if I had a girlfriend ask me if a dress made her look fat, I would say no, regardless of if I thought it made her look fat or not. Most likely that will not come back to haunt me, so I probably would never come clean later and say "hmm actually I did think that dress made you look a little big". I guess what I'm realizing as I write this, as scummy as it may sound, is that I would not come clean unless I get caught in the lie.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
    Mediocre_Player and P_U_R_P_L_E like this.
  3. james610

james610

To be honest with you (yes yes, pun intended), I'm fairly good at manipulating the truth for my own gain.

I rarely lie - my approach is to not tell people 'the full story'. I strategically 'forget' parts of it. It's a fairly secure approach because it's hard to blame someone if what they did say was true.

In the event that I do lie, it's only ever little white lies (everyone does that, let's be honest here), and I will come clean if I think it's the best option I have. That's very situational though.

Hope that was a fascinating insight into the mind of a wannabe epic gamer.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  4. WOWUS_MAXIMUS2

WOWUS_MAXIMUS2

uareverysmart

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  5. joerock777

joerock777

Well. Telling the truth is good but I got banned on a Realm because I said entered someone else’s nether portal...

Maybe “forgetting” once in a long time is ok but I don’t promote lies

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  6. In my honest opinion, and I don’t mean to put you down, I don’t think this is the place to be going into deep life questions. Although this is Off-topic, this is also the Mineplex forums. This would be better on a different social media platform. I appreciate the time you spent on this, but I don’t agree with this being here.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  7. leo_thya

leo_thya

This is the Mineplex forums which ALLOWS off-topic threads, hence the name, off-topic.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
    PapiKirito likes this.
  8. Which is why I recognized the section this is in. Let me clarify, I don’t believe deep life questions belong on any forum, not just Mineplex. That’s my personal opinion and I hope you honor it.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  9. ClassN

ClassN

I do think there are some unquestionable benefits to telling the truth regardless of the circumstance, including: creating a reliable and trustworthy persona, relieving yourself of the psychological effects of lying (like doubt or regret), and the retrospective plus of being confident in your interactions with other people. At the end of the day, though, I think it's just the morally just thing to do. Everyone deserves the truth, so that's what I try to give them. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Telling the truth after a lie, though, is one of the things I think takes true moral character to do. I know very few people willing to admit their mistake and clear everything up. Most would rather hope that their lies never come to light and that the consequences never happen.

So yeah- tell the truth. It can be hard. It is hard, but it's worth it.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
    PapiKirito and Mediocre_Player like this.
  10. Vocaloiid

Vocaloiid

I think a lot of us here, including me, say white lies or full lies many times. Often I'll say I'll be doing homework when I'm actually playing a game. You shouldn't lie unless you know it's something that can protect you and others. Either way, we'll continue to lie for immoral reasons.

Nice topic btw, sounds like something my English teacher would make for a discussion topic lol

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  11. NothinButNet36

NothinButNet36

If a girl is fat you don’t call them fat. Plain simple don’t lie unless it’s a good reason to respect someone

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  12. P_U_R_P_L_E

P_U_R_P_L_E

I truly believe that it is good to lie sometimes. I have gotten in arguments with my girlfriend over her being a little too brutally honest towards things and sometimes it just makes no sense to be brutally honest because it could end up being mean. Just my thought.

Posted Feb 22, 2019
  13. Mediocre_Player

Mediocre_Player

Glad you guys like this topic! I really enjoyed reading all of the replies since it lets me understand different perspectives on the topic.

One thing I found quite interesting is that you can't 'un-tell' the truth, whereas for a lie you can 'un-tell' it by telling the truth. So it just takes way more time to decide whether or not to tell the truth, while on the other hand we can just easily tell a lie without a second thought.

Hi wannabe epic gamer, I sometimes use this strategy too. However, most of the time I'd just start leaking bits and pieces of the untold truth when I let my guards down, which is unfortunate.

Telling the truth isn't inherently a bad thing. If the truth sounds mean or 'blunt', maybe you (or your girlfriend in this case) could try sugarcoating it a bit (but not white-lying). It'd sound a lot better to the listener (i.e. you). Of course, if you have negative opinions towards someone, I'd suggest not commenting at all instead of telling your honest opinions.

You do have a point here, but I posted it here for a reason. Of course I do know this isn't the best place for deep life questions, but I still wanted to hear about what users of the Mineplex forums think. It's like getting to know another perspective on the issue. If I were asking for advice regarding personal/life problems, I'd just consult someone I trust rather than posting it here.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 23, 2019
  14. WorthyBandit

WorthyBandit

I personally do not lie when I know it will leave me with a dilemma or make me feel guilty.When I know I won't really care if I lie and it will get me out of a tricky situation I always take the easy route.

I would lie to a teacher or someone I didn't like and disrespected me,but I would never lie to close friends or colleagues that are always nice to me cause I will be left feeling very sad.I hate having to lie when people ask me something like "does this look good on me?",or "do you think I have a chance with him?",it honestly gives me a dilemma for the whole day.

Posted Feb 23, 2019
    Mediocre_Player likes this.
  15. DiamondBudderAxe

DiamondBudderAxe

I think there's a nice line between white lies and the truth, such as for these questions here.
    For me, what's important is how to answer honestly without having any damage to take care of afterwards. They'll appreciate honesty-- of course, but you just have to know how to phrase it so that they won't feel bad.

For bigger lies, I think it's really up to the person, if they feel bad and regret lying leading them to tell the truth or to live with it. Or, they don't feel bad at all and just move on. For me, it really depends on the situation but most of time I wouldn't feel guilt.

Posted Feb 23, 2019
  16. P_U_R_P_L_E

P_U_R_P_L_E

Oh no I have no negative opinions that was just an example I was more saying that in general telling the truth instead of a white lie can sometimes be pointless. For example how other people are saying you wouldn’t say a girl looks big in a dress if she’s asks you no matter how she looks.

On the other hand it definitely is not okay to lie when it is something that will make you feel guilty as @WorthyBandit said above.

Posted Feb 23, 2019
  17. Zipppo

Zipppo

From my experience lying just makes everything more complicated so it's always better to just be truthful. If you lie about something significant then you're always going to be pretty paranoid about it which is never a good feeling. I think there's a line between being honest and disrespectful, being a truthful person doesn't mean you speak your mind all the time especially when it's rude towards someone else.

Posted Feb 23, 2019
    Mediocre_Player likes this.
  18. stryze

stryze

Ethical inquiries on Mineplex? I'm super into it...

I think it is always useful to start by defining the terms you aim to investigate. So, lying -- what is it? Some would define it simply as "the telling of false statements", but I prefer "the telling of intentionally false statements"; I personally wouldn't call those who spread false information on accident liars, but rather... uneducated/uninformed. So, is being deliberately untruthful wrong?

Different areas of Philosophy will attempt to answer this question in different ways. Those whose morals are guided by (specific) religion will likely say that it is never okay to lie, because of said religion's guiding principles. Others would argue that lying is never okay because to seek and spread truth is the sole purpose of humanity. Etc etc etc.... basically this is not a simple issue, as is the case with most questions of ethics.

You want to know what I think. Well... I think I would defend a lie if it a) was not told on the basis of, nor led to, any gain or physical resources and b) did not greatly upset anyone. Of course, the second part of that is .. subject to subjection, but so is everything human. : )

Posted Feb 23, 2019,
    Last edited Feb 23, 2019
  19. Jaekub

Jaekub

The only time I lie is when I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, and I tell a white lie. Other, than that, I don't lie at all.

Posted Feb 23, 2019