• 2340 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12359 Players Online
  • 10019 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Should we be worried about COVID-19?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by johno1566, Mar 29, 2020.

?

Are you worried about the Corona Virus?

1. yes

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  2. nope

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. kinda

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. Sorry If this is bad, I'm new to mineplex and the fourms. The COVID-19 virus has reached over 123,750 people in the USA. Not to mention the 2,227 deaths. What are your thoughts? I feel that I should be worried about my and others safety. Will the COVID-19 virus have any effect on the mineplex server?

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    brandon3074 and Cardyceps like this.
  2. Personally, i'm not worried at all. I'm a bit worried for my grandparents and other elders, but if they stay inside they'll be alright! I know I have a very strong immune system and i'm sure everyone on these forums do as well because I don't believe any of us are over the age of 45. I think we will all be fine!

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    Dan1el and Slipest like this.
  3. Due to the magnitude the disease has reached, we should definitely. When the cases exponentially grow at such a rate that it passes China and Italy's numbers, it is probably time to for medcon 4. New York has the most supplies out of any state, thus why it has the highest amount of cases. The most dangerous part of the coronavirus is that people remain asymptomatic for several days and can transmit during the time being. Mineplex is already indirectly saving people from COVID-19. By playing on the server, you are staying indoors, avoiding contact from potential carriers. As heinous as it may sound, Mineplex is positively benefiting from COVID-19. People are quarantined indoors and Mineplex is one of the few things that are enjoyable after narrowing down daily activities.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Mar 29, 2020
  4. Im not worried about my safety, I'm only worried about my grandparents and their health. I hope they can stay healthy and stay safe during this epidemic.

I hope everyone here stays safe aswell!

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    AspiringMod and Slipest like this.
  5. Yes, we absolutely should. I live in the US state with the second-highest amount of coronavirus cases (as of now), so I have first-hand experience with this situation. Several of my friends have contracted the coronavirus, and keep in mind, we're all around the ages of 16-17. They said it was far worse than just the flu. They said it felt like their legs had been run over and that their lungs were working at less than half their capacity. Many of my parents' friends have died from the virus, and it hurts me to see them a loved one to something like this.

It's important that we remember that although we are young, we must avoid contracting this virus because we may very well spread it to others who can die from it, like those who are immunocompromised or the elderly. People in my state are still having wedding celebrations and parties. I think that's absolutely absurd. It's people who believe that this virus is no big deal that will prevent the world from healing.

Also, keep in mind that tests just started becoming readily available to the general public recently. So the number of people who are infected will keep going up. When you look at the numbers of those who are infected and those who die, you may think that it's not that big of a deal. But acknowledge that people may be dying of the virus without even knowing that they have it.

I feel bad being so serious, but I really hope this message gets out to all of you who don't really believe COVID-19 is something to be concerned about. You may not be concerned about yourself becoming ill with it, but think of others, and for the sake of the world. It's hard to see people that I know die from this and know that people still aren't taking it seriously.

Please stay safe everyone <3

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    BasicT, johno1566, Tobias and 4 others like this.
  6. I’m not too worried about myself, I’m just worried for my community and family. The chances of me getting very sick are pretty low, but with the elderly these chances increase which is why I am worried for people such as my grandparents. It’s a shame that some people don’t see the need to look out for their community by self isolation :/

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 and ChrissyTheFish like this.
  7. In my opinion, we shouldn't be worried about Covid-19. We should all be informed of all precautions that everyone should take. I think this because worrying can lead to panic, which is the last thing we need at the moment. Isolation and social distancing are great steps for prevention. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Posted Mar 29, 2020
  8. Yes, we should be concerned about COVID-19 and worry for ourselves and others around us.

I understand the argument of "I'm young, if I get it I'll be fine".... yes, that is almost correct but the concern revolves around those who could possibly die from it by being high risk. My mother has a weak immune system due to some some health problems many years ago and I pray every night I won't be the reason she has to fight for her life if I had passed it on to her, let alone someone elses loved one. New information surfaces every day and this is a virus that people are really struggling with -- new cases are rapidly rising in numbers and with that, in turn causes more deaths.

This is real, this is happening now, and hopefully it stops soon. I know we all know to wash our hands and to social distance ourselves, and although it may be extremely boring and driving you crazy by having to stay home (trust me, I'm with you 100%), if we can help someone around us, that is the best reward.

Posted Mar 29, 2020
  9. Okay, so most people are very polarized, some people think we should be hysterical, some think “it’s just a flu” Both are equally wrong. The reason Medical professionals are so worried is it’s VERY hard to know you have it. Covid-19 Is 3x more contagious than the flu, and once you come in contact with it, there is about a two week period where you show no symptoms, so you have no way of knowing you have it. THIS is why social distancing is important. Because yes. Covid-19 IS very deadly to the elderly and people with autoimmune deficiencies and respiratory problems. The second big issue is mutations. Think back to 6th grade biology and what I said before, the Corona virus multiplies at an exponential rate, and the faster is multiplied, the more of a chance it has to mutate. Now it hasn’t done so... yet, and if it does, it could either be really good, and wipe itself out, or really bad. Lastly, we need to prepare. What do we do if everyone gets infected. Usually what happens when you get a coronavirus is you become SORT OF immune, if you get it, you’re immune or you get a much lesser version of it. This only happens for 2 years usually. So where do we go from there. Do we just get it every 2 years. Do we get a “Coronavirus shot” every year and if you get it then that’s rough. It all boils down to now. We NEED to contain it. It will be much harder to eradicate if we let it get out of hand. If we can cure the people that have it, then there won’t be an ongoing chain reaction. Our best chance is to get rid of it now. So please, stay inside, wash your hands. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566, IvanProvorov and haaaz like this.
  10. Personally, I'm more worried about my mam and granny. I'm not in the best shape either as I've gotten pneumonia a lot as a kid and I have asthma, but overall I'm not as worried as I am for them. My mam has a lot of issues and my granny is very old and already very feeble. My great uncle in England has caught the virus and we have realized the last time we saw him was the last time as we can not visit and he was never going to be able to fight this due to the fact he's struggling with another issue. It honestly hurts to know this is happening, especially as he's been in the hospital the whole time. He actually caught it at a hospital, the place where you'd hope this wouldn't happen

Fortunately, we're all being very cautious and Ireland introduced a lockdown that prevents us from going 2km away from our house unless it's for shopping/work purposes. COVID-19 is asymptomatic, this means it can spread despite a person not showing symptoms. It can still spread after recovery for a certain time period. It is so important to be well-informed and follow instructions. It is quite contagious and we need to be careful.

One of the biggest reason we need to self-isolate is so we can actually deal with the issue. There is this thing called the "curve" which is currently going up and up in most countries. We do not have the facilities to support the influx of people who get the virus, this is the case for a lot of countries. The isolation is to stop everyone from getting it at the same time so that medical professionals can care for those in critical condition properly and take it in pieces. We need the curve to flatten rather than to continuously go up. Ireland's predicted 15,000 cases (figures given at the start of our first sort of lockdown) has been stumped hugely thanks to the measures put in place. Of course, our numbers will continue to rise but at a manageable rate for our medical professionals. Don't get me wrong either, some people have not been tested and don't know if they have the virus so the number we have (2,415) is probably larger, but we have still not neared this 15,000- unless we get to that in the next day, it seems like Ireland is doing okay

It is so important that we are careful. The mindset "we're young so this doesn't affect us" is not a good philosophy as we can pass it to those that it will affect, be it a loved one or someone else's loved one. We should not be overly hysterical but we shouldn't take it as if it is harmless, because it's not

Posted Mar 29, 2020
  11. Well I don't think we should worry too much. It is a serious virus and we should not take it easy, but I think it's important to not panic! Doctors from all over the world are working on a cure, and at some point we will have something that helps. The reason why schools and all of that are closing is because there would be too many infected people at the same time, and with this, it would be very difficult to take care of everyone all at once.

As soon as fewer and fewer people get infected everyday, I think it will be alright. Don't panic guys, it will be alright!

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 likes this.
  12. Hey!

Personally, I think we should be in the middle. If we all panic and get out of hand, that would make situations a lot worse than they should be. It all comes down to panic and calm. If you ask me, this is really just another version of the flu, just more severe. COVID-19 is making the headlines and I don't think that this helps in the slightest. My recommendation is to try and stay calm. Eat vegetables, wash your hands regularly and efficiently. Also @Dan1el typed a really good response too. I agree with everything he states all the way. Countries are undergoing or already going through lockdowns, so this should help prevent further spread too. As for COVID-19 effecting the server, see this thread, as it debates the effect that COVID-19 has on the server. Everyone just needs to stay calm and follow all tips provided by the NHS. Hope you're all doing okay and well!

Regards,
    Sacred

Posted Mar 29, 2020,
    Last edited Mar 29, 2020
    yulufi / Sean, johno1566 and Dan1el like this.
  13. The chance we die is small because 90% of mineplex kids and no have much chance to die but I care of my parents my grandparents my little brother and more so yes I little worry but not much

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 and brandon3074 like this.
  14. Exactly this, my great grandma is 95 years old and my grandma is 75 years old, they wouldn't make it if they were infected by the virus, so I'm really worried about them, if I'm infected nothing will probably happen to me, but I don't visit them anymore because I'm scared that I'll transmit the virus to them if I have it and have no idea about it, keep yourself safe guys, you may not hurt yourself if you have it, but you may very easily hurt the ones you love the most.

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 likes this.
  15. I was only worried about my family until I found out that people our age can actually lose our sense of smell and taste from the virus. That is really bad, and could ruin our lives.

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 likes this.
  16. The question "should we be worried" has the very simple answer of yes, the CDC estimates 90 million US citizens will become infected with the disease and the disease has an approximate death rate of somewhere between 2%-6% (10% in areas with a higher concentration of the elderly such as Italy) it will work out to be at least 2 million people who die in the US alone.

Most people think of it as it won't kill me so I don't need to worry, this mentality is concerning. Similarly to the flu COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019, for those who don't know what it stands for) spreads quickly, unlike the flu though COVID-19 spreads much faster for every person that gets the disease if isolation practices and social distancing is not used 2 people will get the disease from said person. Then those 2 people will infect 2 people each and so on (this is exponential growth).

Most people are unaware of the biggest problem though, this is the fact that the disease itself is new. A few months ago the most common symptoms for people was a persistent dry cough and a fever, however, now the loss of smell and/or taste has also been considered as a more common symptom. The reason this is concerning is that we don't have the information we need to make determinations, for example, SARS and MERS are both coronaviruses and both of these effect pregnancy in ways which experts think COVID-19 doesn't. However, the sample size of infected pregnant women is small so it cannot be said for certain there is little/no risk. Most people take the statement "it is unlikely to affect an unborn child" at face value and will break isolation rules etc. This is why the lack of information is problematic because in the world of media distrust and misinformation people are going to hurt themselves and others because they didn't do the appropriate research before doing something.

The second biggest problem is the "well it won't kill me" mentality. This statement has obvious ethical issues but is also incorrect. Most people think it only kills the elderly, it can in fact cause critical symptoms in anyone, however, it most often causes critical symptoms (this is when you are in need of a ventilator and happens to 6% of infected people) in those that are old, have a weakened immune system and anyone else who has underlying health conditions (such as lung disease/cancers people who are obese and others)

However the disease can kill anyone, it can also kill people that don't have the disease. You hopefully will have heard the term "flatten the curve" this is in an effort to reduce in-direct deaths as well as direct deaths. If we don't spread out the infection more people will die due to the strain on the healthcare system. A lot of young people say to themselves it won't kill them, and they are probably right but they might die without even getting the virus. If all of the ventilators are being used (as they are in some areas in the US etc.) and you fall off a tree or your house sets on fire or anything else happens your lungs may be damaged and you will likely need a ventilator, it would be unethical to take someone who is already on one-off of it and kill them so you would likely be transferred to a new hospital this delay could kill you.

The biggest issue for me though is the lack of knowledge people have, at the end of this reply I will leave a spoiler full of useful sites and videos for you to watch to expand your knowledge.

To summarise though yes everyone should be worried, it can kill anyone and the lack of testing likely means cases will already be in the millions. These times are new for a lot of people and you should take the advice from the WHO, CDC, NHS etc. and stay home to not only protect yourself but to protect your friends, family and the healthcare workers who are putting themselves at risk to save lives. The most important thing is don't overly panic, don't go out buying more items than you need don't go out rioting etc. Stay home and stay safe.

Official resources:

WHO - -unapproved link-
    CDC - -unapproved link-
    NHS - -unapproved link-

Other resources:

Dr. John Campbell (Youtube Channel) - https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching
    The Coronavirus Explained & What You Should Do (Youtube video) -
    (avoid news sites when possible and social media. The best news sites to go to are those rated with as little bias as possible US ranking sheet - -unapproved link- )

The most important thing is to stay safe and stay updated.

A little bit of extra information, there are 3 different cases which this virus can cause mild/moderate severe and critical they are outlined below:

Mild/Moderate: 80% of cases have these symptoms this is anything less than needing additional oxygen in a hospital. This does not mean you will not be unwell, the virus can still take quite a toll on you.

Severe: This happens to the other 20% this is needing additional oxygen.

Critical: This can happen to anyone who has had severe symptoms this works out to be about 6% of the original 100% and means you need a ventilator and have a reasonable chance of death. It is important to note that COVID-19 doesn't technically kill you, you will die of something such as multi-organ failure or any other infection due to your extremely weak immune system (as fighting the virus takes a big toll on your immune system). The death is not a pleasant one and people need to take more notice of the virus

Stay home, please.

Posted Mar 29, 2020,
    Last edited Mar 29, 2020
  17. Should we be concerned? Absolutely.

As a policy major who specializes in health policy, specifically infectious diseases, although you may not worry about your own personal safety, we have to be mindful of those with pre-existing conditions and the older population whose immune system may be more compromised and at risk than a healthy young person. By everyone doing their part to physically isolate, we help to protect the most vulnerable from this virus.

Posted Mar 29, 2020
  18. Corona virus has only 3% of death rate or whatever it is called. It is less than the number of deaths from flu in one year.
    Most people who died because of this virus where old people or people with diseases rare and bad diseases.
    Most people who are between 12 and 50 don’t have to be afraid of the virus as there is a very low chance of being killed by this virus if you belong to this age group.
    Covid 19 will face the same doom as swine flu or Ebola. This is just a matter of time. Scientists are already working on the cure and they have already developed first prototypes. There are also some people who had recovered, their blood was taken to try to develop the vaccine for SARS-COV-2.
    Just imagine that the noob decided to play Plague inc on the hardest difficulty without any experience and boosters

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 likes this.
  19. Hi,

You have made some good points here however there is one statement I have an issue with at it is this one "Corona virus has only 3% of death rate or whatever it is called. It is less than the number of deaths from flu in one year." your death rate for COVID-19 is correct however the flu has a death rate of about 0.2% the reason it sounds like the flu kills more is that it infects more. Technically COVID-19 is more deadly and will likely kill more than the flu given it spreads faster and kills more.

For example, for every 1000 people that get the flu 2 people will die, with COVID-19 that number is 30. You can see with this example just how much deadlier the virus is.

Also, indirect deaths are of concern so no one is immune.

No one should panic but everyone should be alert and take the measures recommended by professionals

Posted Mar 29, 2020
  20. I personally think we should be worried. The reason why I think we should worry is that it spreads so easily. Only a month ago there were less than 100 cases in the US. We are now up to over 100k cases. Even if the virus may not be as deadly to young people I think it is important for us to practice social distancing so that we make sure we don't spread the virus to people who are at risk.

Posted Mar 29, 2020
    johno1566 and _Prof_ like this.