• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11680 Players Online
  • 8790 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Should Swamp be added back as a map?

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by HushMyChild, Jan 26, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you think Swamp should be added back?

1. Yes (w/ changes made)

2. Yes (original)

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Long ago in ssm, there was a map called Swamp which had a pig and a cow on it. This map was hugely loved in the community and a lot were frustrated when it was suddenly taken away, I was also frustrated at the time. Since then however, I've joined the Mineplex Map Testing Team which has has allowed me to take some looks at old maps. I took advantage of this and looked at swamp, and noted down a few things.

I've circled a few areas of the map where I think the biggest changes could be made which can be found at this link: https://imgur.com/a/LSMeFBV

At first noticed a lot of things different about it that I didn't realize when I played the game just casually, now that I've gotten many thousands of wins worth of experience, been able to test ssm maps, while also seeing what most people will take advantage of on maps, I think that Swamp would be suitable if a few things on the map changed. To begin with I feel like the area circled in red, to the left and bottom, would be nice if it was reduced in size some, since it was extremely campy at the time. The blue has a house that any tanky kit, mainly Iron Golem, would destroy in and give no other kit a chance, except of course Chicken with Chicken Missile. Most enclosed areas in ssm turn out to be a problem which is why caves and hollow structures are often looked down on. The pink shows three islands, close to what the old Ancient Islands looked like (which was fixed). Small islands like these aren't usually liked in the competitive scene of ssm, but casually I've never been a big fan of them either. I feel like a lot of these could be changed to fix the map as well as a few other changes, like maybe making the mountain to the left even smaller.

Overall I feel like making the trees smaller, possibly a complete overhaul to the middle island with the house, and maybe combining the 3 islands to make one big island or just removing that small area, as I don't feel like it would do much to effect game play. I personally think that the map could be added back with some changes to it, even with more than I listed. I just wanted to know what the community opinions on this was because I know that the old ssm community loved the map, and was wondering if it would be wanted back at all.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
    Im_Ken and Xukuwu like this.
  2. Posted Jan 27, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  3. I think this map can be added with a bit of rework. Im not a fan of small islands either as they are very exploitable with kits like skeleton, horse, and sheep. Another examples include the small island with the tree and lava in wasted lands, and the house with the bridge on adrift. They usually hav void all around them and unless you have a decent range attack its very difficult to kill people on it without getting knocked into the void.

Posted Jan 27, 2020
  4. oh that map was removed?

Posted Jan 27, 2020
    Im_Ken and AtlantaTV like this.
  5. Swamp was better than some maps currently in the game. I see no reason why it shouldn't be added back.

Posted Jan 27, 2020
  6. I also see no reason why it shouldn't be brought back, just along with a few moderations. From what you've outlined and looking at the map myself it doesn't look like there are any serious issues with the map, so it doesn't seem as though there's a reason to completely scrap the map. From what I can see, I think that the size of the tree is the main thing that should be changed, as that looks like it would be really easy to camp on. Additionally, as you stated, maybe either increasing the size of some of the smaller islands/removing the islands completely is a good idea. Definitely a +1

Posted Jan 28, 2020
  7. I don't think it was nearly as 'hugely loved' as you seem to remember it being.

The comments on this thread all seem like looking at the past through rose tinted goggles, the map generally felt very cramped, the placement of vines often got in the way of movement, etc. While it's 'ok' compared to some of the maps we have even now, I don't think it should come back without some major reworking

Posted Jan 28, 2020
  8. I remember this map and I don't think I was very enthusiastic when I found out that this map had been chosen for the SSM I was on. But I think that we could give it a second chance so long as it's been reworked. as @Crash said, it was really cramped and that's the main reason why I didn't like it much. It was also annoying when there were campers, so I can definitely see why they removed it.

Posted Jan 29, 2020
  9. Considering we haven't had a new SSM map in like forever, I'm very much in favour! It was an awesome map to have played on!

Posted Jan 29, 2020
    Chromuh, xSalted and Im_Ken like this.
  10. I remember playing Swamp a loooong time ago. I really miss the map and honestly wondered about what happened to it. I assume that it was removed because of poor gameplay or the fact that it simply wasn't liked. However, it was definitely one of my favourite maps to play on in the past and I would definitely be in favour of seeing it return :)

Posted Jan 29, 2020
    xSalted likes this.
  11. Of course! I remember playing the map on my old account way back when! Would love to see this added back.

Posted Jan 29, 2020