• 1468 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8153 Players Online
  • 6685 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Should Anti-Cheat Ban players instead of kicking them?

Discussion in 'Bedrock Ideas' started by Nerfguns3, Jan 4, 2020.

1. I’ve been playing Mineplex for a long time now. And i have seen that instead of anti-cheat banning players, it kicks them. This still allows the cheater/hacker to join back in the server and hack again. For this, we should temporarily ban them on first offense. The second would be permanent ban.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  2. The problem I have with your suggestion is that we would be relying on a machine to determine whether or not a player should be punished. Machines aren’t perfect, so the best way to determine if a punishment should be enforced is through human verification. As for your idea about banning...it wouldn’t prove to be accurate according to the rules of Mineplex. Hacking punishments on Mineplex are in the 2-3 severity level range (the maximum punishment for a broken rule being severity 4), so a permanent ban (or temporary considering a time limit is unidentified) wouldn’t be suitable for a robot to enforce. The anti-cheat system, although not always effective, is in place to discourage hacking. I think a better idea would be for the anti-cheat system to report any kicks it made to the moderation team. This way, players that were kicked could be observed by the staff team to determine if they hack during games. I understand where you’re coming from with this idea, but I just don’t see how it could be efficient enough to correspond with rules and compete with the ability of moderators. Sorry, but I’m giving this idea a -1.

Posted Jan 4, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 4, 2020
    ScarletBlood37 likes this.
  3. I'm a previous Bedrock staff member so I know the anticheat. Bedrock's anticheat is very simple, all it can detect are movement hacks mainly Flight and Step. The issue with these are they are not accurate as many non-hacking players get kicked too. When I was a staff member, the system was unreliable to the point we couldn't use it because of the false positives and it had a lot of issues and room for improvement. I do know there are some hackers on Bedrock, but it's difficult for the Bedrock staff to track them because we essentially don't have the GWEN warnings that Java does, and nobody talks so they can't be called into games. The best way to get rid of hackers is through the reporting system but even then you'd have to record evidence and upload it to Dropbox to allow you to give a link in the report as evidence. That is the only way though.

The way the punishments work is if a user is a repeat offender, then their punishment moves up a severity. Say someone was muted for General Rudeness which is severity 1 and then did it again after the mute expired, they'd still be muted for General Rudeness just at severity 2 which lasts longer and so on. With movement hacks, which are severity 3, they do not have a higher severity and so the player would just keep being banned for 30 days at a time. Yes, they might come back and do it again, but the staff members are only a command away from removing them from the server.

I'd say I have to disagree at the moment. Yes, Java's anticheat can ban, but Bedrocks anticheat is too unreliable and hasn't properly been developed yet so allowing it to ban would present bans to innocent players which don't know how to appeal and may quit the server. I'd agree if the state of the Bedrock anticheat was drastically improved, but until then, I'll have to give it a -1.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  4. there’s no real anti cheat for bedrocK
    this would be pointless imo

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  5. I mean if the anti cheat is constantly kicking them then it shouldn’t be a problem. It just teaches them not to do it again.

The responses above pretty much summarize on why this would not be such a great idea. The anti cheat, where it is now on bedrock isn’t that reliable, sometimes even false kicks, which is a problem because it’s just not right for the player to just get temporarily banned and write a whole appeal on the forums.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  6. Bedrock anti cheat is ehhhhh so it banning people would cause a lot more false bans than there already are

Posted Jan 5, 2020
    Inf3rrior81 and FluteVegetables like this.
  7. I have had experience of having it kick me falsely a lot. So I don't think that it should change to banning as there would be a lot of false bans.

Posted Jan 5, 2020
    DabBoyGamer likes this.
  8. I don't think this would be a good idea mainly because I, and other people, have been falsely kicked before due to server lag or other causes. If the anti-cheat would have issued a ban instead, there would be a severe increase of false bans, and consequently, a severe increase of appeals that QA must go through.

I don't play on bedrock, but I do believe that more innocent people get kicked currently than guilty people, which is fine; but what wouldn't be fine is if those people would be banned. Yes, there are going to be people who were justifiably banned due to hacking, but there's just going to be more people who are falsely banned.

Posted Jan 5, 2020