• 4208 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 13873 Players Online
  • 9665 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Server Traffic

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by _Prof_, Mar 25, 2020.

1. It has come to my attention that Mineplex has been a bit laggier for some players due to the COVID-19 quarantine. People are hemmed in their homes, limiting their options for daily life entertainment and Mineplex is still a viable option.

To start, the more players on the server, the larger amounts of traffic occur on the host. This may cause higher ping because there are more players to manage. Everyone wants their fair share of server connection speed and it starts to get dispersed less per player. Due to the receding of Mineplex, there is less necessity for server resources to be allocated to its connection, since there are fewer players to supply. This is why the network was able to keep up with 40k+ players back in 2015 but cannot with 5k+ today.

Since outdoor travel is to be limited due to the disease, this is a great opportunity for Mineplex to capitalize and improve their components of the network. So far, Mineplex is doing exactly that as there were multiple updates within the past month. Although I am no expert on the backend of the network, a huge suggestion I have is to somehow increase the resource bank so the server can handle mass amounts of players online. With double the amounts of players online during quarantine compared to regularity, this should serve as a wake up call to hire more developers. I am sure most of the server already eyes the problem of limited Java developers, but it should be high priority if we want to take that next step. Again, I am no expert and there may be unfortunate circumstances preventing the hiring of developers.

As a reminder, I have noticed the lag to be most severe during evening hours (5pm-10pm) as tracked here: https://imgur.com/gallery/hhex7FX

Posted Mar 25, 2020
    ImJustDigital likes this.
  2. Hey,

I can totally see where you're coming from, but you have to remember that Mineplex doesn't have infinite resources. It's really quite surprising how much resources need to be invested into everything on the server to fix all the issues. Mineplex's new rank Immortal has likely been a huge help in financing all of the new changes to the server, and those changes have been conveniently timed as you said, but it might not be enough to fix every issue the server has. Whilst I personally would also like to see an improvement in how the server deals with having lots of players on the network (etc), I think that all we can really do is lay back and put our faith in the owners doing the best they can with the resources they have.

Thanks,
    ~ TheGrandmaster

Posted Mar 25, 2020,
    Last edited Mar 26, 2020
    smilkobuta, ImJustDigital and _Prof_ like this.