• 674 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8302 Players Online
  • 7628 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Server mutes are too harsh

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Muils, Jul 19, 2021.

1. I think what you're meaning to say is that "I want to" instead of I need to"?

Posted Jul 20, 2021
  2. No, I do NEED to.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 20, 2021
  3. I really long mute also seems to be a solution, if you don't want to abide the rules. :gwen:

Posted Jul 20, 2021
    okRen, JFEnder, 20LeeBrian1 and 3 others like this.
  4. I believe that if you decide to play on a server, you're required to agree on the rules in order to play. I understand you might not like some of them or do not understand why something is a rule or why is it such high severity, you can always feel free to message someone who will give you a more detailed response.

Posted Jul 20, 2021
    CatFan105, Paladise and 20LeeBrian1 like this.
  5. :potato:

Posted Jul 20, 2021
  6. i agree

Posted Jul 21, 2021
  7. i also dont seem to see a issue with moving to hypixel

Posted Jul 21, 2021
  8. Hey,

The reason why we can't remove the filter altogether or make it toggleable is because Mineplex is directly affiliated with Minecraft; it is a partnered server. Mojang do not want any partnered servers to be home to inappropriate language, swearing, and that kind of behaviour as it's in their best interest the servers they're working with are family-friendly and appropriate for all audiences. Even if we could, I'd be against removing the filter because there are some things that no one deserves to see in chat, no matter how old they are. But as for making the filter toggleable, there's the reasoning behind it and realistically there isn't anything that can be done about that. I've had other conversations about relaxing certain rules but it's always been written off if it centers around profanity and such.

As for the main concern of this thread, I think it's completely fair the system continues to increase punishment durations for repeated offenses. With all respect, if you've been muted for 100 days for a mistype then that obviously means you were muted countless times beforehand, and it's safe to say those weren't 'mistakes' either. If a player hadn't broken so many rules prior to this punishment then it wouldn't be so long. Plus, the easiest solution is to just not type a swear word in the first place if you know how easy it is to slip up.

There are several reasons for the punishment multipliers. The first is so that it can discourage you from breaking the rules so excessively; that players will take a step back and realise the consequences for their actions will only become more drastic. In fact, an accumulation of many, many 'severe' punishments / toxicity can result in a permanent Admin-issued mute. Another reason I can think of is that there are various roles you can take on in the community and most of those require you to have no recent punishments. This goes for Community+ subteams and even Trainee. It only makes sense that players who have racked up such long-lasting punishments should be 'prevented' from taking on such responsibilities, for which for honesty and maturity is necessary, for a reasonable period of time.

Again, with all respect, but in my opinion, players who have received so many punishments and are putting the blame on the rules and the punishment system are avoiding the elephant in the room. Rather than looking at those, they should probably look at themselves and realise that stepping up, taking some accountability and making a turnaround is exactly what will prevent these consequences from occurring.

Posted Jul 21, 2021
    CatFan105 likes this.
  9. You think hypixel is not enforcing their rules?

Posted Jul 21, 2021,
    Last edited Jul 21, 2021
    Anna. and maevestarbaby like this.
  10. Well I wouldn't be surprised if they were lower quality than mineplex, enforcing rules seems to be one thing that mineplex does very well

Posted Jul 21, 2021
  11. yeah not at all you can break whatever rules you want on hypixel without getting any punishment, because their server is so large they simply don't have enough resources to allocate to punish rulebreakers - brilliant!

Posted Jul 22, 2021 at 2:14 AM
  12. I completely agree with what you are saying here, but I strongly feel that the severity for filter bypassing altogether needs to be dropped to just Severity 1, which would mean that a user would receive a warning first before receiving a punishment (as long as they haven’t broken any rules within 30 days). The only exception is being abusive towards other players or bypassing racial slurs (which in that case the punishment would being a sev 2 and sev 3). I have seen countless number of cases of ambiguity from issuing filter bypassing mutes (the user may have made a simple typo that made it look like they were bypassing a filtered word when trying to say something else) and I have seen many cases of users just getting muted for just typing one or two letters or just very minimal usage of profanity altogether. I understand that there is a Sev. 1 cases for bypassing certain words that are considered mild, but that simply just does not cover for any of “milder” cases of filter bypassing and I have never seen a user given a sev 1 punishment for filter bypass from it. What this implies is that pretty much 99% of filter bypassing is a Sev. 2 and I think it needs to be the opposite, with the exceptions that I have stated above. Overall, at the current severity of where the punishment it, it’s just completely out of place compared to all the other rules here. I’m not saying that the filter itself should be changed (and I don’t think it should be), but the severity of the offense needs to be lowered to Sev. 1.

Posted Jul 22, 2021 at 4:25 AM
  13. Or just don't break the rules. Do you really feel the need to swear at someone in a block game?

Posted Jul 22, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    Paladise and CatFan105 like this.
  14. I see a lot of people in this thread that are saying that if your mutes stack up, it must be your fault because you haven't learned from your mistakes and are obviously not trying to keep yourself unmuted. I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that almost every single person who's active in chat every day for an hour or two can say something that can be taken as a means to a punishment, the problem is when you're reported for something stupid. Allow me to elaborate - I've been muted many times in the past year, enough that my latest mute, one I'm still serving, was a 77 day mute for misspelling "this" as "hsit". My mutes leading up to this have a trail of unfortunate and unapologetic staff members who take things too seriously. For example, I was chat reported because I said "egirl" in public chat. The staff member that responded to this report then dug through chat logs, to find where I filter bypassed a word a long time before I was reported in party chat to two other people I was in vc with because I was checking to see if it was a filter bypass because I'm dumb. This shouldn't warrant a mute, because neither of my partymates reported me, and I know that for a fact because the person who did told me, and it wasn't for the filter bypass. A couple of weeks later, I was muted again, for being /reported for saying something else, then "spamming" "On my way to CHOMP!" in party chat about 4 times. Alright, that's a spam mute, we can get into some of the funnier mutes that were longer. For example, in staff request, someone said "Is JennyTools a mutable name?" and I responded, "asking for my friend, jenny tools," and was promptly kicked from StaffRequest and shortly after muted for 61 days. After appealing this mute and having it denied, I was only unmuted for about a week before I was hit again. Yet again, someone /reported me who was not involved in the situation, in which I told my friend nolan that I would "break his nose holes if he died again (in HHC)". This mute, I appealed twice, with multiple different staff members and admins agreeing that it was an absurd mute, and this mute did tarnish an opportunity I was going to take to join a subteam and give back to the community when my appeal was denied. After 77 days of being muted, I was quick to call the staff members who had ghosted me and not done anything about the situation "incompetent" in game, which apparently warranted a 20 day or so mute for simply speaking my opinion about them. If you don't want to hear from me, a simpler solution would be /ignoring me. My second to last mute was a warranted one, albeit a dumb one, because I had filter bypassed on a technicality and it was on purpose, I just didn't think of it as filter bypassing which obviously was disagreed with by the person responding to my appeal. Additionally, I've seen players such as Awonational purposefully get players permanently muted by baiting them into traps. The entire punishment system of a mute is useless and, for me, causes a lack of enjoyment when I'm muted and can't speak in game because I like to have fun. All of these mutes are kind of ridiculous, and lead up to me getting 77 days unapologetically for an accidental filter bypass. Personally, I think that if you're going to keep increasing days on mutes, you need to make the mutes less easy to obtain. Not everyone is the same, and what I say in party chat to my close friends who I know are all above the age of 10 and aren't offended by what I'm typing shouldn't be portrayed as me cursing wildly in front of a bunch of young kids. At the very minimum, make party chat off limits for mutes, because anyone in it can /party leave any time they want if they don't want to hear what you're saying. The staff members in this discussion who say that people are unwilling to change and adapt to the rules so they keep getting muted are wrong, because I've done a lot of thinking about what I say on Mineplex, and my longest unmuted streak in the last 12 months is probably only a couple months, because of how long the mutes are and how quickly I tend to get reported.

Posted Jul 22, 2021 at 2:47 PM
    chungalunga and Arshaad_73 like this.
  15. I feel you man, couldn’t agree more with this

Posted Jul 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM
  16. yes they are, im a veteran in getting muted so i would know

Posted Jul 24, 2021 at 10:09 AM
  17. +1

Posted Jul 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    Arshaad_73 and CatFan105 like this.