• 819 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10424 Players Online
  • 9605 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Server mutes are too harsh

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Muils, Jul 19, 2021.

1. One thing about mutes on the server is that you start off with little punishments that are like 1day mute, 2day mute, 3day mute but then after a certain amount of mutes it jumps up to like 30 days, then a billion days and mutes are pretty easy to get. One example of this is when you mean to type a swear word knowing that it will be filtered anyway which is not punishable but you may accidentally miss a letter off the word so the word ends up not being filtered but you get a mute for filter bypass for 100 days. The solutions to this are: fix the filter, remove the filter (or have it togglable in /prefs) or lower the time you get muted for. I do not want to see a 1000 day mute because some mini mod (that needs to stop playing mineplex) reported me when it didn't even harm anyone.

Obviously rules are rules and saying swear words is muteable (and slurs but this is a fair punishment) but I think that's not fair unless they are used to insult people but that should be general rudeness and not filter bypass.

Posted Jul 19, 2021
  2. i have to agree with that i think it should change. maybe you should get interviewed bye staff or something

Posted Jul 19, 2021
  3. I see it as the player's fault if they are unable to correctly type a curse word on a children's minecraft server

And if you're getting to the point where you have mutes that last 100+ days, then maybe you should have used the previous 10 or so mutes and warnings to take a step back and acknowledge what you are doing wrong and then fix that...

Posted Jul 19, 2021
  4. It is really up to you if you take the first few mutes as an indication to stop breaking the rules. I don't see the issue with muting players for a really long perioid if they continuously break the rules and don't want to learn from there mistakes.

Posted Jul 19, 2021
    rilau, gpsqueixo, Mothy and 11 others like this.
  5. Hi there @Muils! Before I give my 2 cents on the topic of "server mutes," I would like to state briefly that by playing our server you come to accordance to our rules, and should you violate said rules, there will be of course following consequences. From a Moderation standpoint, I absolutely agree with what @Timmi6790 said in his response above. It's completely up to the player to take the first couple of mutes as an indication to stop breaking the rules. Furthermore, the player should learn quickly that the behavior they're exhibiting on the server is not acceptable, and should be changed.

As far as labeling Server Mutes harsh strictly based off time, all mutes start off with a basic length; Sev1: 12 hours, Sev2: 7 days, Sev3: 30 days. As you may know, the longer the length, the higher the severity, as seen above. Now, these lengths can entirely change depending on the player's punishment history/past offenses in each severity. If a player keeps getting muted, these lengths will change with the next punishment that is applied. So, this is really the players fault for continuously not following our rules. We don't determine the length, it's entirely based off the players punishment history.

Now, I've seen the argument that these lengths increasing based off a players punishment history/past offenses is "unfair." I disagree with that argument because the player is at fault due to their own past actions. As Paladise implied in their response above, the whole purpose of any punishment being applied is to teach a player about the consequences of their actions. If the player doesn't take the time to self-reflect and continues to get punished, of course lengthening the punishment makes sense.

Okay, but why do it in the first place? If you know it's filtered, you know that it will be censored in chat. Nobody will understand what you're trying to say because it will appear as "****." My point is, why put something in chat if you know it will be filtered? Furthermore, it states in the rules, "Do not bypass any words for any reason, or you may be punished for doing so." This is why cases like the one you described above are still worthy of punishment. The player had the intent to break the rules as soon as they were typing a filtered word. Whether it was filtered or not, the player cannot blame the filter on a punishment they inflicted on themselves.

I disagree. Mineplex has been and will always be a Family-Friendly environment. Allowing profanity to openly be used regardless of what it's used for, simply goes against what Mineplex advocates for, which is again, a Family-Friendly environment. I find that the current rules regarding filtered words are fair and just.

In conclusion, I do not find that server mutes are too harsh. The current punishment system and the lengths of punishments in my personal opinion, work great, and should not be altered. I don't think following the rules that are in place are hard either, so it's up to the player getting punished to reflect and change their behavior.

Posted Jul 19, 2021
    hkq, Mothy, 20LeeBrian1 and 5 others like this.
  6. are they supposed to keep all the mutes a shorter time? how does that teach people to learn from there mistakes and how does that keep the server children friendly? mutes will happen wayyy more often if they don't get noticeably longer.

if u know it's gonna be filtered what's the point of saying it lol does typing it give u a feeling of power or something

u are encouraging the mini mods to keep reporting u, like u are giving them exactly what they want by continuing to filter bypass.

honestly u could just take an extra few seconds to make sure u spelled ur sentence correctly if u really cared about not being muted

Posted Jul 19, 2021
    CatFan105, Mothy, 20LeeBrian1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Similar to what Timmi said, if you keep getting yourself muted and don't try to learn from your mistakes, then that's on you if your mute is now over 100 days long.

If after so many times you keep making the same mistake - mistyping a swear word when you know the word is going to get censored - why don't you doublecheck your message before you send it?

Suggestions to make the filter a preference have been denied and will not happen because the server is family-friendly. Yes, the majority of the players or community on Java are well over 10 years old but that doesn't make a big enough difference. If it's advertised as family-friendly it will stay that way, especially considering Mineplex is partnered with Microsoft, and whatnot.

Posted Jul 19, 2021,
    Last edited Jul 19, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  8. If you dont want to bemutsd, don't swear on a server full of young children
    I dont see how its Mineplex's fault that they are punishing you for wrongdoing

Posted Jul 19, 2021
    Paladise and 20LeeBrian1 like this.
  9. The problem with this is that it's not possible to prove if what you actually said was accidental because every message you send is instinctive. Even if it were accidental, that wouldn't matter because your intention of using a word that you know is filtered has been presented to everyone in your lobby. Ultimately, the fault would still lie on you for not proofreading your message(s) before sending them.

First off: fixing the filter. The only example of Mineplex's filter that you brought up is that you may accidentally type a filtered word and that it would come out unfiltered, and lining up with the context surrounding it may result in a punishment. Going off of this one example you brought up, the problem is not the filter, it's that your intentions of using a word, which you knew is filtered, is presented to everyone and that you didn't proofread your message before sending it. For the most part, words that have a letter missing from them are filtered, but sometimes that is not the case (depends on how it was typed; it might be too vague to filter, or might be referring to a harmless word). There's no harm in reporting this to an RC member, though.

Removing the filter or having it togglable is something that's been talked about before, but I believe this has been denied by Leadership on behalf of Mineplex's partnership with Microsoft. I personally don't like to describe Mineplex as "family-friendly" or "child-friendly" too much because Mineplex's demographic is also much older and may prefer an environment that wouldn't necessarily be suitable for younger children - it gives these people more of a sense of freedom. That was the premise of this whole suggestion. While I understand that Mineplex would predominantly stick to this family-friendly environment, I really don't think there's much harm in having a togglable filter.

Lowering the punishment duration per punishment is a subjective topic, but I can understand both sides. I believe the durations for severity 1 and severity 2 punishments were increased a year ago, and that was to combat the toxicity that's existed on the server, but suppose you have someone who joins Mineplex for the first time and they bypass a severity 2 word in a context that was not of them being toxic/rude to another person - now they can't talk for 7 days (which, to me, might look overkill for one swear word that wasn't even directed).

These rules for how swear words are used have always been in-place. Ordinarily, when someone directs a filtered word (which they bypass) while being rude to someone, they would be punished for abusive behavior. This offense is unique as accumulating a multitude of them may result in a permanent admin issued mute. Much of the time, people use these words that aren't intended to be rude to someone, and since this isn't about having a togglable filter, why not issue a warning to those who use those words that way, and only issue instant mutes for slurs and if those words are directed? It's not like some student dropping a swear word out of the ordinary would shock the entire classroom anymore.

Honestly, I feel like the only punishments that some might think are a bit harsh are the severity 2 chat offenses for the first punishment lasting 7 days. I can understand that this was to combat toxicity (more specifically for offenses like abusive behavior), but having to hand out a 7-day mute for a swear word that wasn't even directed to another person, again, I think is too much and has nothing to do with why severity 2 mutes were raised to 7 days for the first offense. It's difficult to think of a good compromise having to worry about the other severity 2 chat offenses, but issuing warnings first for each filtered word without being directed (not counting slurs) would definitely spare some punishments that may be too much for just using it.

Posted Jul 19, 2021
    20LeeBrian1 likes this.
  10. For filter bypassing, I do agree that Mineplex is too strict with enforcing mutes on it. A lot of times, mutes can occur just for saying single words and can even sometimes occur from making a typo which result in the word appearing to be a filter bypass even when there was no intent to use a filtered word. Since filter bypassing is a severity 2, these users get muted without warning for what could be just an accidental typo without any intention of using a filtered word. Other cases, there is very minimal usage of filtered words which results in an instant mute. I do understand that Mineplex is a family friendly server and I agree that any usage of filtered words should not be allowed, but I think muting without warning for most instances of filter bypassing is too harsh. Even though there is a severity 1 rule for using milder words, most of the cases that I see that result in a sev 2 mute are usually just a single word or two often times not used in very inappropriate manner. Compared to the other sev 2 offenses, this offense in my opinion generally is the least severe and is really just another form of inappropriate behavior which is a sev 1 offense. Unless the usage is really inappropriate or excessive (which is usually not the case), i don’t think filter bypassing should be a sev 2.

Posted Jul 19, 2021
    Fusafez and Muils like this.
  11. There's actually some filter bypasses that are Sev1. These type of bypasses are ones such as non-cursing. There are different words to indicate for either male and female (who of course prefer to love their own gender)

Posted Jul 19, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jul 19, 2021
  12. hey hey,

While I see where you're coming from in this regard, I do think that the boost of time is applicable in these situations. The time boosts are like a lesson as to not do it again as the time is going to keep being longer and longer. In your case, you just need to be more careful in what you say, I know the filter can be weird sometimes though I guess that's just the harsh reality of things as of now which means you have to make sure you don't type that sort of stuff, reread your message before you send it in chat, etc. To go along with the long mute lengths it is extremely hard to get a 100 day long mute, it takes many mutes depending on the severity and you really should've learned to not do a mutable offense by then.

Posted Jul 19, 2021
  13. As previously stated it's the player's fault if a mute is issued. If your mutes are stacking up it's your fault because you keep breaking the rules. If you decreased the time of a mute no one would ever learn a lesson and see it as an better excuse to break the rules. I don't believe it's up to general staff how long severity mutes last for so I doubt we'll see a change of that soon if ever.

Posted Jul 20, 2021
    Paladise and BlondieBrook like this.

14. Sheesh you do not need to write that much. Everyone breaks rules at some point. Some punishments just wouldn't have even happened if there was a mini mod in the lobby and some things will be classed as general rudeness even if it's a joke to your friend..
    There are barely any kids on mineplex in this current state of time apart from Paladise.

I am sorry for not mentioning this but this post is meant for the Java edition where most people are not young

Solution: ban mini mods. Also I need to swear you do not understand :(

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 20, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jul 20, 2021
  15. every single one of ur replies to this thread gives me troll vibes. are u actually trolling? or u seriously think this is the answer lol

Posted Jul 20, 2021
  16. To be fair Muils, a lot of the time /report usually expires, so not every single user gets some sort of punishment 100% of the time

If you're some advice, go into Chat Settings and then look for the chat option (which is usually at the top left). Click the chat option once and it will switch from Shown to Commands Only. In which this means you're allowed to send messages with / commands, although it stops you sending chat to regular, party and community chat. If you do want your chat to be reshown, all you need to do is click the chat option twice to go from Commands Only to Shown. If you just click the chat option the once it will just go from Commands Only to Hidden.

Okay, though if you're wanting to swear because something has happened, it's best to swear in real life as compare to online where as no one can read your message. If you're also in a discord voice call, it's best to put yourself on mute or deafened (which are the icons next to settings icon)

Posted Jul 20, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jul 20, 2021
  17. Idk I'm bored LOL

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 20, 2021
  18. i think you just shouldn't swear at all. its simple.

Posted Jul 20, 2021
    CatFan105 likes this.
  19. Well, that makes it slightly better, I guess....

Posted Jul 20, 2021
    Muils likes this.
  20. Well I NEED to so that is not the solution

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 20, 2021