• 992 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6514 Players Online
  • 5522 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Search Friends Feature

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Bobert2013, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey!

Got another idea for you all... and that is the ability to search your friends list for people!

Justification:
    Here's how I imagined the justification behind this idea - sometimes people will unfriend you, sometimes people are just invisible, and there's no really easy way to see which of the two it is. I get that you can just try to friend them again, but it's not particularly efficient. At the same time, if you have a full friends list (I do personally) then a lot of the time it glitches and says "You have reached the maximum amount of friends." despite you already having them friended, which shows again that this isn't a good way to check your friends list for certain people.

Bonus Features:
    With a search feature, you can easily include lots of information regarding someone on your /f. I imagine other abilities such as seeing their last login time, last partied time, their stats, and much more. Overall, I see it as bringing lots of benefits with little downsides.

Implementation:
    So how would such a menu be implemented? Or where? To that, I would like to direct your attention to the add friends menu in the /f GUI.

[​IMG]

This menu, as far as I am aware, is unused in its entirety. It is such a hassle to go through /f, click on the book, and then use that interface to add someone as a friend. The /f command is much more efficient. As such, this menu is practically taking up precious space, and I strongly believe it possible to be reworked into a search friends menu.
    This search menu would mostly resemble the same design as the Add Friend and Skin Search menus but would bring you information about a specific friend instead.
    [​IMG]

Chat Friends List:
    Now to acknowledge you people with their friends list in chat - this method of displaying your friends list only shows your online friends anyways, so incorporating any sort of direct interface wouldn't particularly work. This did get me thinking... why not add a command for this as well? It could be close to /f search <name> and as such would search for the player, and leading to an appropriate GUI with information at the end. Would be a nice alternative to access this feature (most GUI have commands that correlate to them already anyways), and I don't see much downsides with this either.

Summary:
    All in all, I feel as though this is an idea that would be really fun to implement, and would be really helpful to players in learning more about their friends on the server. It would be making use of space that is already reserved but revamped to be a much better feature, and from this standpoint, I can't think of any negatives to why this shouldn't be added. Discussion for what information is displayed is necessary, so I'm excited to hear all of your ideas. But overall, I do really see a value in this!

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns!
    Thank you for reading!
    ~ Bobert / Erik

Posted Jul 30, 2020
    AtlantaTV, JAKE/// and Xukuwu like this.
  2. Heyo! This would be an awesome quality of life change. Even for myself, someone who has 1/3 of your friend list, I would still find it beneficial to be able to search for somebody within your list of friends. I also like your bonus features of "last partied", and their stats, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. Of course, I see no downsides, but I'd rather keep it simple for the time being. It's more than often I find myself having to look through my friends list of hundreds of heads just to find out that somebody removed me, or if they are invisible, and a simple command or a spot in the GUI would aid in this process.

In addition, I think we should leave the "Add Friends" GUI in the /f menu, because it will confuse the small percentage of people who do use that command. I see space in the bottom left corner which would be able to hold this search system, and it will also make the friend GUI symmetric!

While this isn't a pertinent system to the friends list, I do think a command/item in the GUI system to help locate friends would be a great tool. I currently don't see any downsides to this. Thank you for your suggestion <3

Posted Jul 30, 2020
    Paladise likes this.
  3. This is a pretty good idea actually. I haven't found many issues how you described at the start recently because I personally keep my friends list quite exclusive to prevent it from filling up. I do get that many others instead like to have their friends list full of people, and that's where I can see this feature coming in handy. I like the name for it, and I feel like the /f search command makes sense to me. I'm not too sure how I feel about totally getting rid of the Add Friends menu in the GUI. I can totally understand that it isn't commonly used for what we are assuming since /f <name> is easier, but there will always be newer players who will only know /f to open the GUI and then to add a friend via that method. It could always be incorporated into the current Add Friends menu if that's even possible. If not, I even just like having the /f search command exist.

I don't really have any complaints with this suggestion, it'd be a nice quality of life change, and with some minor tweaking, it'd make a great new feature for the friends system in my opinion.

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  4. This would be really useful. I never really thought of the reason you mentioned. I sometimes wonder if a certain person has been online in a long time (mainly old friends), and so being able to search their name and see this would be useful as going through the whole friend's list can be a bit of a pain. If you could sort it by last login time that would be amazing as I always want to clear my list of people who haven't been online in a while and it's an annoying process to do so.

I'm not against getting rid of the add friends part. Honestly, I forget that it even exists as I'm so used to using the command. I understand that it might be useful for newer players, but it's still a pretty slow way of adding a friend.

Overall, I can't really find anything to fault in this idea. It's a small suggestion, but it has many uses for different players. I think that many players wish they could sort their list a bit easier, especially those who have built up a large number of friends throught the years.

Posted Jul 30, 2020
  5. I've been wishing this was a thing

Posted Jul 31, 2020
  6. I'm all for the ability to search through your friend's list. I'm not necessarily the type of player who would need this feature, but I totally understand other players needing this and see it as a harmless QoL update, and can entirely see the benefit of implementing this in the future. As for the other ideas you mentioned, I'm also entirely for the ability to sort by the time last online. For me personally, I like to clear my friend's list of people that have been inactive, but it's time-consuming to look through every name and find which have been inactive for a period of time, and this feature would make that a lot easier. With that said, I personally like the idea of adding the ability to multi-select friends when removing, as it would make bulk-removing inactive friends much easier, and I don't see a negative coming from that idea either.

As for the option to remove "Add Friend" I don't see a huge issue with this because, as BreezeBlockss mentioned, I barely remember it's there half the time because /f is much easier and more efficient. However, as Rilau mentioned, for the small percentage of players who use this feature, and for new players who may not know /f (name) is an option, this could add some unnecessary confusion for them. Because of this, like he also mentioned, there's an open slot in the bottom left where I could see the newest addition being filled perfectly to make the GUI symmetrical, and making it so features won't have to be removed for confusion reasons. With more /f features being discussed in the future, I think we could come back to the discussion of removing an area if the GUI is filled up. But again, as it is currently, I believe it should stay the same, but have the additional feature be put in the bottom left side of the GUI.

In the end, I like the idea of a /f search command and adding a feature in the GUI to search for friends, as I feel as if it could be a huge benefit to players with 100+ friends, and would save a lot of time. As well as this, I see no negatives coming from implementing this feature.

Posted Jul 31, 2020
  7. Hello! Thank you for your effort on the BEAUTIFUL Mineplex forums post!

I REALLY love this idea and would like to see it IMPLEMENTED

oVERALL, good work!

Posted Jul 31, 2020
    Snowing_ likes this.
  8. Hey I just wanted to say that

Posted Jul 31, 2020
  9. I will be marking this idea as Processed and locking the thread.

This is planned in the Java Social Update Proposal, as such:

• Search for Friends
      • Replace the “add friends” option in the GUI with a “search friends” option (and a command) to allow people to quickly search through their friends list.

Thread Locked > Processed

Posted May 6, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.