• 425 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4905 Players Online
  • 4480 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Rooftops

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by Brennyyy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. I haven't built anything for close to a year, so this is the first thing I've tried to do.
    It's a W.I.P. Gladiators map/simple practice with structures and getting back into the swing of things as it comes to building.

Opinions are wanted (please, it's so bad LMAO - I'm not a builder, I'm a pvper)

Photos: (Shaders and Non-Shaders)
    https://imgur.com/a/DC4OPXx

Posted Feb 19, 2021
  2. I am lowkey jealous of how good this build looks haha

As a artist whose skills do NOT carry over to building with blocks, I can tell you that this is absolutely epic. I really really like the green garden-ish roof on the thin part near the camera. You can tell that a good chunk of time was spent on this, and it turned out really well.

Thanks for sharing! I hope to see more from you in the future.

Posted Feb 20, 2021
  3. It's sooo cute I love it! Did you look at references? I think something nice to add would be two 2x2x1 polished andesite structures with rails on top that make it into a circle, connected by walls that look like pipes (not sure what version you are playing on but if it's 1.8 then cobblestone walls look nice, if higher then andesite, blackstone, whatever walls would suit. It's a speed builders build and looks really neat and I feel like it would match what you're trying to add currently pretty nicely.

I'd probably switch the gravel to some other block as it's not really rooftop-like as well as remove the buttons acting like stones as in real life I don't think you'd find many on the roof of such a tall building. These are all just minor details so don't worry about it too much. I'm also not sure what the hole in the middle is for, I think a completely flat roof looks nice enough? If you wanted to add some extra height variation, you could add 1-2 water tanks.

I also really like the grass roofs you can see in the distance, those are easier to decorate I feel and you did an excellent job <3

Posted Feb 20, 2021
  4. Lol! I know NOTHING about the gladiators mini game on Mineplex. However, I find this map quiet interesting.
    Does it have only one level or is there an opportunity to fight on the lower floors?

Posted Feb 20, 2021
  5. I'm glad you did! I used kinda typical city knowledge along with a map on a game I'm really fond of! I tried to keep a lot of the roof top a bit minimum because Gladiators is typically a gamemode with some open maps. (I'm on 1.12, but it's made for 1.8)
    As for the gravel and the rocks, taking a second look, you're completely right! I might remove the stones and the gravel and replace it with another block; the hole in the roof was simple height variation.

I'm glad you liked the grass roofs! I feel like they add a lot of contrast to the otherwise grayish/white kinda build! I'm really happy you thought so, thankyou<3

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 20, 2021
    maevestarbaby likes this.
  6. It's the one level, but if I ever decide to expand this map a bit, I might try to make it so you can fight on the other buildings somehow.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 20, 2021
    Mr.Cardyceps likes this.
  7. Hola Brennyyy!

I really love this build that you made! The ideas and creativity in this build stand out a lot. I can definitely tell that it took you some time to build it, but it paid off! I love how tall it is, as I'm sure when you're 1v1ing there's a great view along with it. It might be cool to add a little car or two at the top because it's kind of like a parking garage/hotel? Even without that, it still looks awesome! You've definitely got talent here. Thanks for sharing! <3

Posted Mar 4, 2021
  8. As a build it looks a bit empty, but as a gladiators map its alright. And why are there doors that lead to nowhere.

Posted Mar 4, 2021
  9. You should be a builder it looks awsome!
    Keep Building! :)

Posted Mar 4, 2021
  10. Thankyou! I'm really glad you liked it. (Sadly the map got denied, but hey, guess it's opportunity to learn!) Thanks for the opinion, I appreciate it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 4, 2021
    allegient™ likes this.
  11. It isn't supposed to be super full; as for the doors, they were supposed to represent the doors to the other floors. It's just a nice little detail; thankyou for the feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 4, 2021
  12. Hey!

I really enjoyed looking through these photos! I would love to see this map in-game! My favorite part is how you added additional buildings to the side to add more detail, and I really like how with the side buildings you chose to add greenery. I thought that was a really smart choice to add color.

On the main part of the map, I really love how you painted the ground with the different blocks of the same color, so it isn't just one singular block. I like how you added buttons for more depth and added little structures all around to make the map not flat.

If you choose to submit this map, remember to read through the Map Submissions Guide, which has all the information you need about the process of submitting maps and the building of maps. For more information regarding the data points that are required in order to make the game work, read through the Data Points Guide. If you do all the above, you can submit your map here!

Keep up the great work and can't wait to see more work from you in the future!

Posted Mar 4, 2021
  13. Thankyou!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 4, 2021
  14. I'm glad you loved it! I went off a lot of what I grew up around in my town, specifically around Universities etc. I've submitted the map twice, being denied twice for issues that I ran into and am currently trying to fix it. I'm currently going to begin something else very soon. Thank you for your feedback, it means a lot!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 4, 2021