• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10241 Players Online
  • 7351 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Revamping Map Submission Process

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Paladise, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM.

1. Hello!

Currently as most of you know map submissions are open to the general public, and everybody can submit their map submission here. While I like the process of being able to submit, get feedback, use that feedback, and then submit again, I believe some parts need to be changed. One important statement is that map submissions can be permanently denied, as seen below:

[​IMG]

The fact that after 6 times of being told that a map has the potential to become better and go live, and after 6 times of taking into account every bit of feedback the Map Submissions team provides, that a map can somehow be permanently denied seems outrageous. Clearly the Builders saw there was a potential from the first map submission, so if the map is getting better, why is there somehow no more potential? Why is there no more feedback that can be given to improve the map? 30+ hours have just gone to waste? Not even mentioning the amount of time wasted for the individuals who denied the previous map submissions.

[​IMG]

I propose one of the following to prevent this from happening to anybody else:

1. Permanently deny a map submission after the first submission.
    2. Never permanently deny a map, and instead keep giving feedback.

Posted Sep 15, 2020 at 6:03 PM,
    Last edited Sep 15, 2020 at 6:24 PM
  2. I think that after awhile, they realize that the map isn't going to meet the standards of a Mineplex build... So the first few builders who deny it and say it has potential may think it does, but after 6 attempts, they probably realize it just ins't going to well, and won't be accepted. so i say keep how it is

:shrug:

Posted Sep 15, 2020 at 6:42 PM,
    Last edited Sep 15, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    PhoenixSky likes this.
  3. I agree with what @ARareBlackBear has said here. Even though it may be disheartening or frustrating to have a build denied, both of your suggestions would not be very useful or helpful as a "revamp".

Having the build be denied permanently outright is worse than having it permanently denied after, as it at least gives the builder some pointers and tips to eventually improve the build.

Having it never be denied just builds unnecessary work for the build team, as if the build is just not up to standards, it should be denied eventually to avoid having constant resubmissions bog down other submissions.

In your particular case, it is frustrating after having put so much time and effort into following their suggestions to have it denied, but even after a long feedback process, sometimes builds can just not fit the expected standards and there is nothing more to be said to it. So though your suggestion has some merit to it, I do not see it working well. Thanks for suggesting, but -1!

Posted Sep 16, 2020 at 3:55 AM
  4. When ever I build a map for myself or a gamemode for Mineplex. I can’t guarantee myself it Will be good or not. So if a builder says it has potential, it means it can be good but it also can be bad. Unfortunately for you: you can see it as a timewaste or u can see it as learning to build maps.

Posted Sep 16, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    PhoenixSky and ScarletBlood37 like this.
  5. Anyway so I don’t think they need to change it. The reason for that is because every time they wanted to see if the map get better with the fixes u made or not. I don’t think that is wrong doing that.

Posted Sep 16, 2020 at 7:24 AM
  6. Hey!

1 - Denying a map from the start (permanently) would prevent players from having the opportunity to improve their map. The purpose of the Map Submissions process is to allow players to submit a map and get feedback on their build so that it may have the potential to go live at some point.

2 - Although it can be frustrating, if the feedback we have been giving isn't making a change in order to make the map more suitable for the server, then unfortunately it can be denied. The whole purpose of giving feedback is to try and make the map suitable. Sometimes the changes you make may not work, which is why it's important to plan maps from the very start to avoid any necessary revamping. If we were to keep giving feedback over and over again, who knows when maps could get accepted; it could involve entirely rebuilding the map just from submission feedback.

Every map goes through the same submission process and is held to the same standard as a regular builders map would be; we are here to give you feedback to help you improve your map and building skills in general. Unfortunately, this change won't be happening.

Posted Sep 16, 2020 at 7:27 AM
    xLeopard, joshuart, WowCaleb and 8 others like this.
  7. Intoxicating is by far the best person here to talk about this, but I thought I'd give my two cents as well since I've been involved in submitting a few maps lately with widely varying results.

Sometimes your map can get denied before it is given to the MTT to test, I've actually had this myself recently. This can be for glaring gameplay issues or aesthetics. Most often these are changeable but sometimes a map can look really good on paper, but when it comes to being tested a lot more issues come to light than was originally thought, even if you have already resubmitted once and made changes.

Another way to look at it is as such; imagine if you kept making changes, kept editing and resubmitting and every time it is denied. You could spend months trying to get a map accepted that just will never work. I feel like that would be even more demoralising than just having a point where you are told it would be best to start fresh.

I hope this could help ^^

Posted Sep 16, 2020 at 8:03 AM
    gabsy likes this.
  8. I would like to add in that every map that is built has two qualities the build team looks for. One is the overall aesthetics, how the map looks like and how well it is polished. The other is gameplay. This means how playable the map is and how suited it is for the game mode it was built for.

This means that if map has amazing aesthetics but poor gameplay, chances are it will get denied regardless and vice versa.

Intoxicating as the MAP team lead has summed it up perfectly. Denying someone's map permanently for first time would be throwing away all of the potential that map holds, but constantly giving feedback would lead up to the map being rebuilt entirely from MAP team feedback, which would ruin the initial direction and feeling that map was going for from the start.

This isn't really something to suggest but rather bring up to Intoxicating who has already replied to this thread and gave his thoughts out loud and clear.

Posted Sep 16, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    gabsy and affinity0 like this.