• 1515 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4655 Players Online
  • 3140 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Returning after 3 years | My "first" impressions and thoughts on Mineplex today

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by LaeiMou, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Hello, everyone. I've been playing on Mineplex since 2014, and have stopped playing due to fatigue and simply just growing out of it. Now, after a long 3 years of absence, I return to the server to check on its state and play some old favorite minigames of mine. For those who've been around during the peak of the 1.9 controversy, I was one of few people who supported 1.9 and posted a thread on the old Mineplex forums stating why 1.9 and future versions should be utilized to their full extent on the server, yielding interesting discussions. My opinion since then hasn't changed, yet Mineplex seem to have changed a lot. Today I will go over my thoughts and opinions upon returning to the server.

Keep in mind that this is only my first visit to the forums, so I apologize if I bring up topics that everyone has been well acquainted with for a long time until now.

~=~The Visit~=~

I start by adding Mineplex to the list of servers once again. Upon logging on for the first time in a long while, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the old lobby was being utilized again. I had heard from my friends that it was replaced, which I wasn't that happy with. But both then and now, nostalgia wins over logic and reason, and I was very happy to see the old parkour challenges that reward you with gems. And the most important thing of all; Karate Pig still perches atop his log. However, I was upset to find only ~600 players were online on the US side of Mineplex (Further visits yielded better results, seeing a concurrent 1,800-2,000. I was visiting during a time where most players were already asleep) and see most of my old favorites are populated by almost no one. Death Tag, Micro Battles, Survival Games, worst of all, Champions (again, further visits saw that these games were populated for at least 2 servers each). However, I was happy to see that lots of people still played Speed Builders and Master Builders at the time, which were among my top 3 favorites behind Champions. I queue up for a game and meet a very kind yet competent player. We would always be the remaining two of every match with the exception of the last, where I achieved third place. The two of us would wish each other good luck and compliment each other's skills. After five games, I leave the queue to find another minigame to play. I was thinking about how little my favorites were played, until I came across Nano Games. This was in my opinion a very excellent addition to the roster, and I had lots of fun during my near half hour marathon of its selection. It was very similar to the Party Games on [REDACTED], except 24/7, which I appreciate for I don't have to wait in a queue every time to start a new game like Mixed Arcade. I was also happy that none of the old games have been removed, and that private servers played games that weren't populated at the time. And with that, my visit has ended. I log off of Mineplex, and return to my usual building alone.

~=~Issues~=~

I was surprised to encounter only one issue during my visit, and that was with fences. During my time playing Speed Builders, fences were twice as difficult to deal with, as without sneaking, I can't place any blocks on top of them, and when I do sneak, the block I place disappears outright. This led to me using unconventional and time consuming methods of placing the fences, sometimes even leading me to losing rounds. Following the words of a wise man, "[MINEPLEX], pls fix".

~=~Others / How much has really changed?~=~

I was semi-happy to see that the cosmetics menu was as difficult and confusing to navigate as before. I was also happy to see that all of my progress has been retained, but I don't remember being only level 10 (After further visits, I see my level has returned to normal at level 30). I also see that the ranks and their perks still haven't changed. So that begs the question: Has anything even changed at all? The answer is yes, but only very little it seems. I was happy to see that Mineplex was still the same server I remember it to be, and the net code has seemingly improved since my last visit (though it may very well be my connection back then, but I had much less lag on my recent visits).

~=~Final thoughts and Conclusion~=~

Mineplex has lasted a very long time, and impressively long time. Even through controversial times and updates (I still find the anti-1.9 debate to be a little dumb as there has already been proof for years that one can alleviate the combat changes with one command) people still stuck around, and it seems it still gets new players. I'm confident that Mineplex will likely last for another 6 months, if not another year. And I'll have little surprise if it only lasts as long as Minecraft does. Though I'd rather much return to my old Minecraft antics such as messing with commands, making 3D models and building, I can see myself visiting Mineplex again every so often just to scratch that multiplayer server itch I have every now and then. Mineplex, I was pleasantly surprised. I hope that you only improve from here on out.

Posted Apr 15, 2019
  2. Welcome back! I think Mineplex will last waaaaaaay longer than 6 months, and I'm very sure of that. If you didn't know, Minecraft is starting to become popular.

Posted Apr 15, 2019
    Unigardy and LaeiMou like this.
  3. Hey, welcome back! Considering I'm a player who has been on Mineplex since 2014 as well, I have definitely been through these massive changes. However, as Jaekub had replied, I believe Mineplex will last much longer than 6 more months to a year. The remaining community is very dedicated and will continue to play on the server for as long as possible. Additionally, new players are hopping into some of the more popular games everyday! It is saddening to see the player count slowly decrease, but happily that number has been stagnant for a while now. Mineplex is still as fun and nostalgic as it used to be, it's just that the games have been switched around, and some taken out entirely. However, there are new games like NANO, which you discussed, which bring the server back to life again. I certainly will be playing as long as Mineplex still functions

As for the Speed Builders glitch/bug, that is a problem that the staff team are aware of. They are trying their best to fix it as soon as possible!

Posted Apr 15, 2019
    LaeiMou likes this.
  4. Actually, it's been increasing at the slightest bit. All of the big Minecraft YouTubers are starting to play Minecraft again, increasing its popularity.

Posted Apr 15, 2019
    Jadguar and Seido like this.
  5. That's exciting, I hope the increase starts to become very noticeable!

Posted Apr 15, 2019
    Jango_55, Jadguar and Jkaebub like this.
  6. I'm starting to see its resurgence in popularity, and I'm honestly very happy about it. Just in time for Minecraft's 10th anniversary, too.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 15, 2019
    Jadguar and Jkaebub like this.
  7. I absolutely loved reading your post, @LaeiMou! I am so glad that you returned for a visit and still got the same enjoyment you did years ago. I agree with everyone above that it is sad to see the player count go down, but I am confident Mineplex will last as there is a dedicated and tight-knit player base that will keep the server standing. As @Jaekub mentioned, I, too, have seen an increase in Minecraft content on YouTube lately, even from channels I subscribed to years ago and quit playing Minecraft about the same time. I’m excited there is almost a new “resurgence” of Minecraft content in time for the game’s 10th anniversary. Anyways, it’s awesome you came back and shared your experience with everyone here on the forums. I hope we will see you more in the future!

Posted Apr 15, 2019
    Acerna, Jkaebub and LaeiMou like this.
  8. Not gonna lie, it feels good seeing other Mineplex veterans from 2014 returning to the server.

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    Snowwii, Vocaloiid and LaeiMou like this.
  9. Welcome back, I rejoined here a few months ago as a 2015 player, so I know how your reaction feels like! It took me a bit to get used to everything again, but I'm glad for the old lobby and the fact that the community is still going. Yes, the fences are problems in Speed Builders, and the only way to really solve is to place a block under the fence then place the fence, destroy the block, and put another fence where it was to make a 2 fence high block. Annoying, but not many are able to do it and if you know how you can surpass the stage and not risk losing just because of that. Anyway, welcome back To Mineplex and Forums!

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    LaeiMou likes this.
  10. Wow, that was an incredible read!

It’s great to see an OG Mineplex player return. As many people are aware, the player count did drop in the past few years. However, as Jaekub mentioned above, Minecraft might experience a “revival” in the near future. Hopefully, this will boost the popularity of Mineplex.
    Also, my favorite minigames back in the day were Capture the Flag and a couple of Mixed Arcade games, but they are currently unplayable due to a lack of players. I miss spending hours and hours trying to grind these games, and I’d like to see these games return.
    Anyway, I’m glad you decided to return as it is very nice to have veteran Mineplex players still around. I’m pretty hopeful for the future of Mineplex, and I hope to see you around!

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    Unigardy, Acerna and LaeiMou like this.
  11. I'm glad to hear that you (for the most part) enjoyed your return to Mineplex! As many people have stated above, Minecraft is beginning to experience a small rise in popularity again, as a wave of nostalgia overtakes the gaming community. I am a firm believer that Mineplex lost players because multiplayer Minecraft as a whole. Hopefully, with this rise in popularity, the Mineplex community can return to its former glory as one of the most popular Minecraft servers in the world!

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    Acerna and LaeiMou like this.
  12. Starting to?
    what
    It's still making sales, but is definitely not just starting to be popular. It's slowed considerably.
    --- Post updated ---
    Where are the stats for this. Maybe some are, but they're not garnering as many views as they did in 2016-2017 times.

Posted Apr 17, 2019
  13. It died and now it's slowly climbing back up.

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    Acerna likes this.
  14. Please make sure to report this bug here. Otherwise, I'm happy that you had a semi-decent experience!

Posted Apr 17, 2019
  15. Maybe on bedrock, but java isn't fairing any better.

Posted Apr 17, 2019
  16. Ya, Java doesn't seem to be improving that much. People are joining by playing Bedrock I'm pretty sure.

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  17. dang i remember when i used to structure threads like a tryhard. #metoo

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    LaeiMou likes this.
  18. Welcome back! I left for quite a bit, like you but returned around the end of 2018, and I'm finding it as fun as before!

I hope you have fun too.

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    LaeiMou likes this.
  19. Hi!

As someone who has also been playing on Mineplex since 2014 and had a 2 year break from the server between 2016-2018 I understand where you are coming from with most of your points.

First off, the Lobby. I too am happy that the Big Tree is back. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the other lobbies and I liked exploring new places whilst they were there. However they felt too big and it wasn’t the same. Now that the tree is back (and so are the parkours I never finished) I feel as if more players will return. Some people quit purely because of the Lobby changes; people don’t like change, they like to stick to what they know best.

As for less players - Minecraft Java’s popularity has dropped significantly due to the release of Bedrock Minecraft. For this, Mineplex’s Java server has experienced a drastic loss of players. As of writing this there are 1500 players. That’s in the EU/AU only because currently US timezones are 6am, 5am and 4am. It’s during US evening times that the server is most active with roughly 3500 players on Java and likely ~double the amount on Bedrock. That’s what I saw when I stayed up later than usual at least haha. I was there in Lobby-1 when Mineplex broke the world record for the most amount of players ever on a Minecraft server. It is unfortunate to see it’s decline. But people grow out of things, people move on. That’s how life is. In terms of gameplay, the lack of players does really interfere with some of the games. Due to popular demand some Arcade games were added back. But nobody ever plays them which makes it seem like quite a waste of money:( I used to enjoy playing singular arcade games but most of the time I can only ever play Mixed Arcade in order to play the games I used to enjoy.

For what you spoke about as the only issue you came across; Speed Builders is experiencing a few bugs at the moment. There’s not much I can say to you about it (there isn’t much to it tbh) other than the Developers are aware and this will be fixed ASAP! It does get quite annoying when you’re trying to build and you just can’t due to the fences. It is also the same with bookshelves. But as I said, it’ll be fixed real soon!

And the cosmetics menu has always been difficult to find your way around haha, I still struggle sometimes and I’ve been Staff twice!

Great thread! I hope you enjoy your future visits:)

Posted Apr 18, 2019,
    Last edited Apr 18, 2019
    LaeiMou likes this.