• 1064 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3711 Players Online
  • 2647 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Return of the "Happer" (wasn't even official) rank

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by FredModulars, May 22, 2019.

1. History:

The "Happer" rank was given to Helpers (before the name was changed to Trainee in May 2015) who were a Helper and a Builder at the same time. It wasn't even an official rank. Directed by the Mineplex Wiki, it states it was a made-up name given by the community.

Idea:

Bring Happer back as an "OFFICIAL" rank. Who knew?

Reason:

Many staff members (such as Idut, TeaSpiller and worldcom) have produced many maps, and, although the MAJORITY are Nano Game maps and the majority are Map Testers, some staff have made more, such as ImposterK and the now departed Geographies. If there is a simple "Happer" application, they can get an actual "reason" (do they already do (fun)) to make the maps.

Also, this could give a new experience to Moderators (as I will mention later) before they choose an official sub team. Having to weigh down being a Moderator and being a Semi-Builder can give preparation for being apart of an official sub team.

Changes:

Allow this a MOD ONLY rank. The reason for my idea of this is because Sr. Mods usually have other necessities to attend to (sub teams, more responsibilities, etc) and Trainees are beginning the staff team, and have the responsibility of learning the system and becoming a Moderator. A Moderator that handles something like FM and "Builder can easily manage, in my opinion, compared to Sr. Mods and Trainees.

Add this as a FORUM ONLY rank. An in-game rank will get much too complicated, and a nice forum badge/rank seems much more appealable, neater, and less confusing.

Don't make it a complete "Builder job." I said before this COULD give practice to many Moderators before they choose a staff sub team, but it would be much better if this was a "Semi-Builder" so its not completely all over the place.

"Happer" "Application" Ideas:

Again, only for Moderators.
    Instead of the normal builder trial stage of 1 month, make it 1-2 weeks.

Make the requirements a bit simpler (eg. portfolio, questions, etc).

A few other things to make it simpler than the official builder application, again, so Moderators can have "preparation" for sub teams, or some idea someone has (PLEASE REPLY).

Good day!

Posted May 22, 2019
    Dutty and Jaxxy like this.
  2. I think it's a good idea, but I don't think it's really necessary as a rank. This may be a stupid reason but first off, the name makes zero sense. Players were called a Happer when they were a Helper and a Builder, but we no longer have the Helper rank, and this would just be for Moderators. Secondly, I think in practice this would be better as a subteam that everyone could join. If it is basically just a "semi-builder", then there's no reason to just allow Moderators or staff to become part of it. Third, in general, I don't really think this is necessary because you can build maps for the server and submit them regardless of if you have some sort of rank or not. I think it's a nice idea, but I'm not sure if the server really needs it.

Posted May 22, 2019
    Jaxxy likes this.
  3. I like the idea, but I don't think it would be necessary to be a rank. As a staff member you can join subteams that can make you like a "Happer", but I don't think the server really needs to make a whole new rank, with all these new permissions, so I disagree with this. -1

Posted May 22, 2019
  4. In my opinion, this seems a bit unnecessary although it's an interesting idea to think about. The concept of a semi-builder doesn't make sense to me - if you want to make maps you can either submit them or apply to become a builder and work on the MPBT, and of course, if a mod wants to apply to become a builder and make maps, let them. And where do you draw the line between semi and full, i.e do we give these happers access to the build server? If so, do they also get to work on team projects? What do semi-builders do that is different from a normal builder, or what does a builder do more than a sem-builder? Can they join subteams? As you can see, it's difficult to divide a builder's responsibilities, and it just makes more sense for staff members interested in becoming a builder to apply for the actual builder position.

Additionally, the one-month trial is very important in choosing new builders. If this were to be a position, applicants would only be able to build a few maps rather than the amount they can build with a month. We (the builder apps team) need to be able to accurately judge and work with the applicants before a judgment can be made, even if they aren't full builders. It's important that the people that make it on this team are capable of creating high-quality maps.

Moreover, I've also got a few more questions like how does becoming apart of the build team "prepare" moderators for subteams? I think the actual subteams like Recruitment Assistant, Forum Moderator, etc. help and prepare moderators for sr.mod teams more than being able to make maps with a fancy forum tag. Also, who would run such a team? Although, I think you need to provide more information on the actual role, for example, responsibilities before I can accurately provide my full opinion on this idea.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I do think this is a really interesting idea, and as a builder and member of the builder apps team myself, I'm definitely intrigued by the possibility of this rank being added although I disagree with an actual addition of the position.

Posted May 23, 2019,
    Last edited May 23, 2019
    PyxllCreates and MCCharity like this.
  5. Hello, hello!

Personally, I can't say I see a necessity for a rank like this so I can't say I agree with its implementation. Community slang is all well and good-- I've partaken in more than my fair share--but at the end of the day, I'm just not sure it makes any sense to take it beyond a community nickname-- albeit, a beloved one.

My issues with this rank you're proposing begin with the inevitable confusion that would lead just from the name. I wasn't around for the days when the ranks Trainee and Builder were Helper and Mapper respectively, so creating a rank that's a mix-up reprise of the two if for nothing other than the sake of it (and maybe nominally more recognition) seems more confusing than anything, especially because you want to make "Happer" a mixup between Builder and Moderator, which isn't one of the ranks that spawned this nickname. The message being sent by this rank isn't quite lost in communication, but it's definitely marred because the joke/sentiment being conveyed wouldn't be easily understood by modern members of the community. Historically, players bearing both conventional staff tags (Trainee/Helper, Moderator, Senior Moderator) and build team tags (Builder/Mapper, MapLead) would be granted all of their tags on the forums but would only bear the highest precedence rank in-game. Your proposal to make this a forums-only rank only further devalues the implementation of this rank because of the aforementioned tag-stacking of years past.

This rank also seems to seek to reposition the Build Team as a Moderator sub-team, which I definitely don't agree with. Mineplex has deliberately maintained separate staffing teams for server management/moderation and building maps because the skills they're looking for in candidates aren't the same and are rarely transferrable between the two. Waiving requirements to make it easier for Moderators to join the Build Team seems like a move that would only create room for deficiencies in content/quality of content in terms of maps, which, in my eyes, is what takes this idea from unimportant but inoffensive to negative, which is the real core of why I can't support your "Happer" rank.

Tl;dr: The rank is confusing and I fail to see the positives in the changes you're proposing.

Posted May 23, 2019
  6. Aaaaactually, "Happer" was a meme created by the Build Team when their rank used to be "Mapper". Some players would mistake the M for an H. The iconic "What's a Happer" is the meme now shared within the Build Team.

Although your idea is kind of semi redundant and I don't see it as a huge advantage by adding it. I think it's best we just stick with the staff roles we have now.

Posted May 23, 2019
    Chrris, MCCharity and PyxllCreates like this.
  7. I just got hit with a WAVE of nostalgia for this "rank" LOL! Unfortunately, as said above, it probably won't be coming back due to the fact that we don't actually have the Helper rank anymore, making the "Happer" rank pretty pointless. I feel like this would somewhat decrease the integrity of the joke as well.

Posted May 23, 2019
  8. Will be marking this as not planned due to this reply and also confirmation from Toki that this won't be added to our roles for staff members. Thank you for submitting the suggestion though! Let us know if you have any questions or concerns ^-^

Posted May 24, 2019
  9. I see your reasoning but honestly, I think its quite unnecessary. Everything that we have as of now is simple, easy to follow, and necessary. Happer was a good meme, and as dutty said is still an inside joke within the build team and I believe it should stay that way.

Posted May 24, 2019
  10. This rank was a thing way back in the year of 2015, but it was removed. When I was in the lobby, I thought "Happer" was an actual rank until it was turned out to be a joke in the end. I don't think that there is going to be a come back at this time. Overall, I will have to disagree with adding a rank "Happer" back entirely. -1

Posted May 24, 2019